People Showing Up Unannounced On The Farm

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow this was quite different than i expected... i was going to join in and complain about my own unexpected visitors... honking outside the gate friday when i wasn't even home and the neighbor called me when they finally knocked on HIS door... they wanted to see the minis we had for sale. geez don't people CALL FIRST any more? i scheduled an appt with them for Monday at 6pm as i get off work at 5. thank goodness hubby was home because guess when they showed up - FIVE! a whole hour early. and hubby has to call me, which horses are for sale, and i am telling him, just entertain them and don't quote prices!!!

i was hesitant to even sell to someone too stupid to call first or show up at the RIGHT time for an appointment... but they were a sweet older couple and the horse they wanted has an issue with some people so i made sure she "tested" them and they passed the test (she's a freak about her ears, lets me touch them but not hubby... but she let the old folks scratch all around and in between and touch them, no hesitation!) so Bella has a new home where she will be spoiled and hubby is happy that the "cut-back" plan is progressing, slowly but surely!

as for you, i agree, DO call the police... and good luck with Ted!!!

Please report this guy. He sounds VERY odd to me.

2 weeks ago my husband and I were coming home late one Saturday evening. We passed a guy on the mountain road down, standing beside his old truck~~~ urinating into the road....Yuk. My husband was so peeved this guy had no respect for people. As we got to the bottom of the mountain where the 2 lane turns into a 4 lane, this guy started to pass us in the other lane. Just as he started to pass, we both passed a side road and a nice young lady in shorts was riding her bike and was turning around to go back up her side road. All of a sudden, the peeing guy slammed on his brakes and did a U-turn across the median to turn around and go back. My husband watched in his rearview mirror as this guy turned in behind the lady on the bike and followed her up the side road out of sight. We immediately turned at the next opportunity and went back to check on her. We had no idea how far she lived from home, how many houses were up her road, etc and it was obvious this guy was up to NO GOOD. Luckily, as we started to turn into the side road, the peeing guy came out and went on down the road. We still rode up the side road until we found the biker lady to be sure she was okay. She had no idea he had been "casing her". My husband thinks he saw us slow down and turn around too and that is why he changed his ideas and left her alone. It was SO OBVIOUS to us but not to her at all. When we told her how he acted she was relieved we had come back to check. Turns out the road was pretty barren and her husband (who usually rides with her) was working late that day, so she went out alone. If this guy had shoved a gun in her face and told her to get in his truck, no one would have ever seen it happen. Makes my blood run cold just thinking about it now.

So you never know. Better to be safe than sorry. I have a BIG dog and a loaded gun and I know how to use it.

FYI women, the 'husband','boyfriend' etc, is always home. Never ever tell a man ( or anyone for that matter) that you are alone.

Did you go and see TED today???? Waiting to hear if you have now made him part of your family. I have such a strong feeling about this situation, this particular dog and you. You both need each other.

Found out some information about Ted, as I have a friend who helps out at the SPCA . He apparently has had one owner, lived on the mountain-(which is perfect, because so do we), a great personality, does not bite, etc. We have to wait a week to pick him up, as there was a bout of kennel cough that just came through the shelter.

All looks good though--can't wait to bring our new boy home :aktion033: . We also have not seen that person again, but that doesn't mean he's not still out there. Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'll keep you updated, and will be taking lots of pictures. :saludando:

:Kim

Kennel cough is easily treated, you could do it from home, get him!

Kim, I can't wait until you can get Ted! When you first posted the link for available dogs, I picked Ted. We adopted a Pyrenees mix from our local shelter, and she was such an incredible dog.

One of the best things about Livestock Guardian Dogs is the way they protect their own -- they are NOT aggressive, threatening dogs, but rather are very subtle yet firm. Ella would quietly come and stand in between me and anyone she didn't know, even the mail carrier. With Ella around, the neighbors all commented that, while they still herd the many coyotes in our area, none seemed to come close.

I have no doubt Ted will be a wonderful protector, if nothing else than by his presence.

Another thing you might consider is a driveway alarm to alert you when anyone pulls into your driveway. This is especially valuable if you have a long drive or cannot see its entire length...and will warn you if you're feeding horses or whatever.

If you haven't done so already, be sure to warn your neighbors and look out for one another. They may see something you cannot, and vice versa.

Take care!

Another thing you might consider is a driveway alarm to alert you when anyone pulls into your driveway. This is especially valuable if you have a long drive or cannot see its entire length...and will warn you if you're feeding horses or whatever.

i would love to have one of those! but i kinda do... with 10 dogs on the property, one or the other of them ALWAYS barks when there is someone at the gate. sometimes all 10 :eek:

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: oh I am so happy for you and for TED!!! :aktion033: :bgrin :bgrin I will be waiting for updates when you pick him up and bring him home!!!! Did they say why the owner brought him in to be re-homed???? So sad for TED BUT as I said I believe in FATE and his circumstances and your circumstances seem to have come together for some reason and it was just meant to be!

Found out a little bit more on Ted today. His owner had to move to Alberta, and could not take him due to full time work/traveling,etc. Apparently he was quite attached to the dog, but circumstances don't always warrant what one would always like to happen. I feel bad that someone had to give up their dog, but Ted will have a wonderful home here with us, and become a cherished member of our family.

I would bring him home and treat the kennel cough myself, but the SPCA wants to keep him there until it's cleared up.

:saludando: :Kim

My hubby is gone for weeks, if not months at a time. One more reason why I got my concealed handgun license.

I was attacked once before. (neighbor next door)Before hand, I couldn't figure out why my dog died. Vet did test, I guess the neighbor who tried to get me, poisoned the dog, cuz I sure didn't.

The old man finally got arrested.After he shoved in my front door and came after me.

I heard a few years back that he was now in prison for raping his 14 yr. old niece. A really bad rape.

If he shows up again, hold up your gun and tell him to leave.

Make a police report. Do it for your neigborhood. If there is one doing drugs, there will be more to follow. Maybe you can convince the police to come down your road some and patrol. Don't second guess yourself. Follow your gut. :new_shocked:

Congrats on the new family member.

The man you described sounds like he could be mentally ill, as that seems an odd thing to ask and an odd way to behave. He could be completely harmless, but I would stay on guard.

I have one of those driveway alarms and love it. Got it at Radio Shack for about $40. Now I always know when someone drives in (or a deer walks down the drive, etc.). I really recommend them in addition to getting a dog.

Back