People Showing Up Unannounced On The Farm

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kootenay

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I need to get this off my chest after what happened to me today--(hope you don't mind
default_wacko.png
: ).

Firstly, i'm a grown woman, and can handle visitors over. I really like it when I get a phone call the day before said guest shows up. We really don't get a lot of visitors here, as I do not breed, show, etc with my horses, and friends usually call before they arrive anyways.

Today was a doozie and a half! :eek: . I get an ex neighbor--(from when I lived on the other side of the valley) pounding at the door when i'm trying to have a bath--(we don't have a shower--just a clawfoot tub). I wasn't about to jump out of that in a towel with no hubby home, so I ignored the knocking---I heard him screaming something about my hubby who does hair that his wife to be wants a bouffant(sp) for her wedding???.I guess the person went away, because I heard no more knocking-(ha-ha). A few hours later it was warm enough to open the door to the front deck, and I was sitting here doing a few 'chores' on my website lo and behold I hear footsteps up the stairs. All of the sudden I see a guy there saying hello.

This guy is someone i've seen walking up and down this road lately---(gave me an odd feeling then even), and today he shows up , knocks at the plywood barrier at the top of the steps, asks me if "The Big Guy" is home. I say no, and then he proceeds to ask if I have----------get this!!!!!-------------------a JOINT I could sell him!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I kinda stood there dumbstruck that a total stranger could walk up onto my deck, not know my hubby's name, and then ask me for pot!--I told him anyways---"Nope-We Don't Do That"--I was so nervous I didn't know what else to say, and besides I don't touch it anyways.

I just hope he doesn't show up again. He said he is staying down the road from here at his mother's place, and I didn't even get a name, so I would not know where that would be, but I have seen this guy at least once "trolling" up and down this street. I hope it is someone that maybe hubby knows--I phoned him @ work, and he said he doesn't know anyone matching the description I gave him. I hope it's nothing, but you never know. I'm nervous to go feed my horses even--and that is soon---already 4:38 here. I'll take my cell phone with me though.

Starting to think that I need a good farm dog here when my other half is away.
default_unsure.png
:

Get a dog!!! I would call the cops and let them know also!! He could be casing the place!!! Definately get a dog!! A Big one!! :bgrin

Hey !!! PLEASE CALL POLICE and at least report this man. Just tell them exactly what this man said to you. You do not know him and it sounds like he might be fairly new to your area. Let the police find out about him. He may be harmless but a normal person does not wander around asking for joints. YOU SHOULD BE CONCERNED FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR NEIGHBORS !! About 20 years ago I was attacked, spent 2 days in the hospital and by the grace of God was not raped!! That was this sick SOB intention. This was a big story in my small town as this man just showed up one day and he too had been not really harrasing people but just wandering around the street ( about a week ) saying wierd things to people. These people never reported him to anyone until after my attack was in the paper!! So please, dont let your guard down and please call the police. You just never know what his intentions might be. Heidi

My concern would be that he was casing the place--checking to see if you have a hubby, if that hubby is home, or if he's away how long is he away? Never, never let on that you're alone for the day, or the evening, or whatever--just let on that hubby has slipped out for a short time, and then don't encourage the person to stick around & wait for hubby to get back.

Definitely a farm dog is a plus--one that looks/sounds ferocious even if it isn't!

It's entirely possible that this guy is just a loser that was desperately hoping a neighbor would actually have a joint. If he's just visiting, perhaps wherever he comes from every neighbor has a stash of drugs to share?

People are weird, and more than a little scary sometimes!

Now he knows you are all alone during the day. I am really concerned for you.

I don't mean to scare you but i guess i do!

You don't know if he is staying with his mother or not. He could be a just realeased.......... anything.

If you have a gun carry it 24-7 if you don't have a gun get one.

I agree with the others he was checking things out.

This is very very scarey.

Go to the police.Please Please.......

Bonnie

Feeding my horses went without a hitch--hubby has been home for a bit now. I never have feelings like this--but this time it's "bugging me"---which means this guy like Bonnie says could very well be casing me. I'm getting a dog, and in the mean time hubby is coming home during working hours throughout the day from now on. I won't hesitate to shoot either, but do have my cell phone on my belt handy for 911 purposes.

Once again, living out in the country is nice, but there are 'whackos' to deal with---but none lately in the paper or online around here have escaped,,etc. Hubby is still going to go ask the neighbor he thinks it might be--fingers crossed it is.

When my husband went back to long haul trucking a few years ago, someone kept calling that said that they knew him from work. They called a LOT. I kept getting a HUGE uneasy feeling about them and would tell them that he was in the shower or had just ran to the store real quick. I didn't recognize the name that the guy told me or the number that he was calling from, so I was being cautious, especially after hubby said that he didn't know them. He even tried to call them back once, about 5 minutes after they called, and was told that the person had ran to town for beer
default_unsure.png
: Fortunately, we never got a call back after that one. It kinda scared them off when the guy hadn't given us a phone number, but hubby called back anyway.

Anyhow, I would definately call the police and at least inform them that you were approached by this person. It doesn't sound "right" to me. A good barking dog is also worth their weight in gold. I have 5 of them, I could loan you a few :bgrin Please keep us updated on this situation. Check in with us every now and then to let us know you're ok. Hubby should be home by now, what's he think about it?

Stay safe!!

Hubby has just ran down the street to see if it is a person he might know, but the description I gave does not ring a bell on his end, so I have asked him to call me when he knows/doesn't know. Keeping an eye out anyways, and will call police if he comes back. I should have right away---would be too late by now :no: .

EDIT:---just got the call back from my hubby I did not want to hear. It is not the person he was thinking of, so it remains a mystery, and I now have the local police on speed dial on my cell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found these dogs at our local shelter, but am having a hard time picking one. They all look like they would be nice---(except for the chow cross--Edit--or that pit bull mix!).

Here is the link to my choices at the moment. Available Dogs

**This dog will have a great home ---not adopting it to just be a guard animal--it will be a cherished member of the family---although my hubby wants another wolf--I told him no,,lol.

I Like this dog---seems like I might have to check out that one
default_yes.gif
:

Ted

Sweetie just remember the dogs could also pose a threat to your horses! Dog attacks are all too common even from family pets..they start playing and before you know it, it gets serious! So choose careefully and ask if you can take one home for a "trial run" for a couple days first?I have dogs and make sure they are never alone with the horses. Well one is a 0lb toy Poodle, but one is a bif Lab.

I was young once, and if I don't sound braggy, I was considered pretty and on two occasions had a "stalker" one on the Island of Guam, scary, but they bugged my phone and caught him..it was our landlord! He was arrested by the Guamanian police!

Nothing to fool with..if it scares you its meant to! Get that dog and keep it with you! Massage the dog, bond with it and make it your soulmate so it will naturally defend you..

Please be alert and don't let it rule your world, but take proper precautions, and remember if you ever have to shoot make sure its on YOUR land..good luck hon,

Maxine

default_yes.gif
: No problems taking a dog on for a couple of days to see how it works out. The SPCA here wants me to foster a bunch--(cats and dogs), but i've had to say no due to all the work here at the moment fixing up this farm, A stalker is all I need---good grief. I knew something was up when I saw him walking the road looking like he had no purpose. I'll be thinking this dog thing out for sure, but for now the black bear in our yard nightly is a good 'guard animal',,ha-ha.

I don't mean to joke--i'm still shaking----scary stuff.

It's NEVER too late to call the police and report what happened. Perhaps they will be on the look out for this guy if you can give them a description. Getting a dog will help BUT PLEASE PLEASE CALL THE POLICE AND REPORT. Better to be safe than sorry that you didn't do it, even if it's later...better late than never!

AND GO GET TED!!!!! He sounds PERFECT!

Please please please be vigilant and careful....let the police know...at least alert them to what has happened. I don't know if you have read my thread on the BP, but we are dealing witha double murder escapee right here pretty much in the back of our property. Since last night we've had police k-9 units and helicopters with infra red lights hovering day and night...all day today. News media abounds as well. If it has made you uneasy, your inner self has it's red flags up for a reason.

I am thankful for my dogs. Especially my farm and person's guardian, Lakota. She has been right there beside me and has not left my side. I think she has a sense of whats going on. Get that pup....bond with it and he/she will have your back. Most of all...stay SAFE and keep your eyes and ears open...always be one step ahead of that dude.

My hubby said yes to TED! :aktion033: . I'll phone about him in the morning and set a time up to meet him
default_smile.png
. We'll see how it goes. I am home all the time, so spending time with him won't be a problem. If all goes wel he may be here in the next day or two.

Once again--I told hubby no wolves, and who do I choose----a wolfie lookin' sweetheart.---We'll See!
default_yes.gif
:

TED looks and sounds PERFECT :aktion033: :aktion033: . I am willing to bet that YOU are the first to fall in love with this boy
default_wub.png
: . Keep us posted please about TED, I always love happy endings and this boy deserves a caring owner like you and your hubby.

TED looks and sounds PERFECT :aktion033: :aktion033: . I am willing to bet that YOU are the first to fall in love with this boy
default_wub.png
: . Keep us posted please about TED, I always love happy endings and this boy deserves a caring owner like you and your hubby.

Ted looks like he's smiling, and his light tells me he does not have a mean bone in his body. He wants a home where he can watch over his "people" and be loved. He sure wants to run though!
default_yes.gif
: --I think I can accommodate that though with my arabian horse who likes to go for fast rides.

default_wub.png

Ted looks like he's smiling, and his light tells me he does not have a mean bone in his body. He wants a home where he can watch over his "people" and be loved. He sure wants to run though!
default_yes.gif
: --I think I can accommodate that though with my arabian horse who likes to go for fast rides.
I do believe you are "reading" him perfectly!
default_yes.gif
: (I like how you say "his light tells") and I agree. I felt the same way even before reading your follow-up post. The telling part is whether he BONDS to you or not.

I also agree that you should let the police know about that guy..........

MA

No question in my mind that he WILL bond with you. I believe in FATE and this IS fate that Ted is suppose to be with you and you with him, I strongly believe that.

No question in my mind that he WILL bond with you. I believe in FATE and this IS fate that Ted is suppose to be with you and you with him, I strongly believe that.
Danielle,

Thank you for posting that........ I also believe that there is no such thing as coincidence.

MA

Please please please call the police department. Just let them know what happened and when and let them decide what to do from there. My guess is they will at least add some extra patrols in that area. It is never to late to give them a call. LISTEN to your instincts here! Oh--and good luck with sweet Ted!!!

-Amy

Latest posts

Back