Miniature Steer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We are off today to look at a miniature hereford steer. It's a 2+ hour drive, but it should be a pretty drive. I'm a little nervous about getting a steer; haven't been around cattle as an adult. You can see him at QM Miniature Herefords on facebook. My knowledgeable local vet says he and Billy will easily become pals.
If I don't like him, we will come home with an empty trailer.

Hope you love him and I'd love to see pictures. I can't do cows. They don't make sense to me. But I appreciate the food they produce. And I have much respect for people that raise them. Same with pigs and goats and sheep.

Good luck! I've been wanting one, but not enough to spend the kind of money they cost.
I think they are going to be rather like miniature horses--pricey now but once the backyard breeders get going the price will come down. This guy is priced at $1500. I think heifers and bulls are higher. This one is registered.

We had a lovely drive to a part of the state we rarely visit. The folks were really nice and shared so much information. The steer was nicely groomed. Unfortunately I was unprepared for his size. He was about 500-600# and could weigh 900+ . He did not know how to lead but after just a little while he was getting it. I got to see how the cosmetic dehorning looked--just looked naturally polled. I think he liked me, as i used the pressure/release to work on leading with lots of scratches and praise, instead of manhandled and tail twisting. But i couldn't get past how big he was. He was not my idea of a miniature steer. Herefords are bred for meat. My husband liked him, but i couldnt get past his size. He looks small in the picture but he is long and wide. Not sure what I am going to do. I am having a hard time forgetting that he liked me.

Attachments

• steer.jpg
    steer.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 0
Wow, he's adorable! But a possibility of 900#? I guess it would be up to temperament. If he doesn't turn out to be sweet and laid back, or if the don't get along....Also cows are harder on fencing. The fencing thing is why I don't have cows. I had a Zebu at one time.

There are few miniature cattle that are as small as miniature horses.

My first "miniature" bovine was supposed to stay around 40" tall. He finished out at 53", which was ok because then I could ride him😁

My second"miniature" was a dwarf Hereford cow. Her parents were full sized, but she inherited the dwarf genes. She stayed about 32" and was super sweet. I drove her in a few parades.

My last two "miniatures" were zebu bulls. One was about 32" just behind his hump, the other was about 45" behind his hump. The smaller one was cool, he learned a few tricks and was just begining his driving training when he suddenly passed away. The bigger one put me in the hospital.

There are few miniature cattle that are as small as miniature horses.

My first "miniature" bovine was supposed to stay around 40" tall. He finished out at 53", which was ok because then I could ride him😁

My second"miniature" was a dwarf Hereford cow. Her parents were full sized, but she inherited the dwarf genes. She stayed about 32" and was super sweet. I drove her in a few parades.

My last two "miniatures" were zebu bulls. One was about 32" just behind his hump, the other was about 45" behind his hump. The smaller one was cool, he learned a few tricks and was just begining his driving training when he suddenly passed away. The bigger one put me in the hospital.
Whoa! What fun you have had. Except the hospital stay. That’s to scary. At the ranch there is a zebu bull He is close to 13 years the owner says. He is surprisingly mellow and a favorite of mine. I’m very careful and respectful of his horns.

Last edited:
Did you decide not to get him? He sure is cute!
No, I decided a steer is not for me. I'm glad I went to look at him though. Still a little haunted by his reaction to me. But I was also thinking a young steer would be playful for Billy. These guys are too heavy to play. The people were reluctant to let me try to lead him, in case he tried to get away. I guess they haven't held onto an ornery miniature horse before! (He did not get away:))
I don't think a bovine is in my future.

Attachments

• IMG_5060.JPG
    IMG_5060.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
He is awfully cute, but I think you made a wise decision. We had full size Herefords for decades and some could be very hard on the fence and this was a free range herd on 300 acres with streams, pasture, trees, and a free choice barn with heated electric waterers in the winter.

Cattle also don’t have the same aversion to stepping on, or running over, people as horses do.

He is awfully cute, but I think you made a wise decision. We had full size Herefords for decades and some could be very hard on the fence and this was a free range herd on 300 acres with streams, pasture, trees, and a free choice barn with heated electric waterers in the winter.

Cattle also don’t have the same aversion to stepping on, or running over, people as horses do.
Yep. Stepped on foot; luckily the ground was soft.

Latest posts

Back