Miniature Steer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't sounds "miniature" to me, but perhaps just old lines when they were smaller than now. Our red Angus are 1100-1300# full grown (bulls heavier, and steers don't stay long enough to get heavier, so I don't know where they might top out).
If you have your mind set on a miniature cow, you might try the Zebu, it's my understanding they are smaller to start with or maybe a miniature Highland, as Highlands are also smaller to start with; so more likely to be smaller when sized down.

Doesn't sounds "miniature" to me, but perhaps just old lines when they were smaller than now. Our red Angus are 1100-1300# full grown (bulls heavier, and steers don't stay long enough to get heavier, so I don't know where they might top out).
If you have your mind set on a miniature cow, you might try the Zebu, it's my understanding they are smaller to start with or maybe a miniature Highland, as Highlands are also smaller to start with; so more likely to be smaller when sized down.
Zebus tend to not be as friendly and easy going as other breeds. My zebu was 900#.

Here is a pic of me and the zebu where I volunteer. He is full size and really is calm for a bull.
View attachment 49903
Yikes. The horns would have to go. And I would never trust a bull. (I had a relative who was killed by his "pet" bull). I think I have seen that kind of bull in a neighbor's pasture. Are they used for rodeos?

Yikes. The horns would have to go. And I would never trust a bull. (I had a relative who was killed by his "pet" bull). I think I have seen that kind of bull in a neighbor's pasture. Are they used for rodeos?
There are many different breeds and hybrids of zebus. I do think some are use in rodeos.
I am very respectful of him and his horns. I don't go in the pen by myself and I have a rake or scoop close by or in my hands. He does love his rubs. At times his tail is like a weapon, he gets it swinging when we scratch in the right spot. 😂

My zebu bulls was nice all the way up to the day he tried to kill me. Bulls are for breeding, the cattlemen are correct on this. And I knew not to trust him, knew to not turn my back on him. But he launched the attack so quickly, I only had time to tell my husband's name before he knocked my out.

Best steaks I ever had.

All this Bull business has me nervous, how about a cow?
Although when I was 10 I was surrounded by a herd and emotionally tormented by them. There was about 20 of them and they circled around me, ever so slowly getting closer, inch by inch . . . step . . . by . . . step . . . until they were shoulder to shoulder and I had no way out, the circle kept getting smaller . . . and smaller . . . until . . .
the farmer rescued me.

Well, I went to look at two adorable longhorn bull calves today. I was ready to buy, but needed to verify from my vet that he could cosmetically take off the horns. Of course, the longhorn folks were horrified that I would consider such a thing! But I like their temperament, their color, and they are pretty much trouble free. But--the vet said the boys, at less than 3 months old, already have too wide of a horn base to take off safely. So, that is a disappointment. I guess Someone is telling me to give up the idea of a bovine companion for Billy.

I agree with @Kelly why not another equine? You already know all about little horses, are set up to care for and train... And there's LOADS that are in need of a good home.

Latest posts

Back