Pellet wormers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like and use the Strongid C 2x daily pellets. However, I also rotate paste dewormers every eight weeks. I find the daily dewormer keeps "pot bellies" down on the horses under age two.

Andrea

I've never used a daily dewormer. The paste dewormers always work good for me
default_wink.png

This isn't a daily wormer it's a single dose of pellets. I have 1 mini in particular who is very difficult to worm and thought this would be a good alternative.

This isn't a daily wormer it's a single dose of pellets. I have 1 mini in particular who is very difficult to worm and thought this would be a good alternative.
The panacur equi-bits should cover all the same worms as the panacur paste. Its not as broad spectrum as say ivermectin, but might save a headache or two each year if you include it in your rotation.

I wish they'd bring back the Ivermectin crumbles they had a few years ago, they were sure nice.

Reasonable alternative.

As for encysted larvae, Benzimadoles do better if given 3,5, or 7 days in a row at a double dose.

I think Ivermectin is still available in crumbles.

Dr Taylor

I like and use the Strongid C 2x daily pellets. However, I also rotate paste dewormers every eight weeks. I find the daily dewormer keeps "pot bellies" down on the horses under age two.

Andrea
Horses should not be worm free. Ideal is 250 eggs/gram to produce immunity. Too rapid a rotation can actually increase the risk of producing resistance.

Be careful, you can over do a good thing.

Dr Taylor

Reasonable alternative.

As for encysted larvae, Benzimadoles do better if given 3,5, or 7 days in a row at a double dose.

I think Ivermectin is still available in crumbles.

Dr Taylor
If you've seen the crumbles for sale somewhere, please share where, as I've not been able to find them in any of my catalogs for like 2 years (I had heard the manufacturer quit or something).

[i can't remember the name of them, but it was something like IverEase (although, it seems I've seen a similar name attached to a syringe with a grip style handle).]

If you've seen the crumbles for sale somewhere, please share where, as I've not been able to find them in any of my catalogs for like 2 years (I had heard the manufacturer quit or something).

[i can't remember the name of them, but it was something like IverEase (although, it seems I've seen a similar name attached to a syringe with a grip style handle).]
Not widely available, but I've seen it compounded through a pharmacy. Not necessarily cheap, but like most things a little more money can get you almost anything you want.

Dr Taylor

Not widely available, but I've seen it compounded through a pharmacy. Not necessarily cheap, but like most things a little more money can get you almost anything you want.

Dr Taylor
For at least one horse here, the extra expense might be worth it, as he is horrible to paste deworm (he's a 16+H gelding, so he can definitely get his head out of your reach). I've never had a horse as bad to paste as him.

Latest posts

Back