Pearlino

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
do all Pearlinos have blue eyes? If she has gold/amber colored eyes is she something else? This is an adult mare BTW

Could possibly mean champagne, BUT, there other other determining visual and genetic factors as well, before saying she is, and also, testing can confirm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not the expert that many others on here are, but I believe all perlinos and cremellos have blue eyes. It's the lack of color pigment that causes the white coat and blue eyes. But other experts please chime in here. I'm just guessing.

thanks..from what I have read up on that was sorta my conclusions also..so..this mare is not pearlino cause her eyes are amber colored..my first thought was a buckskin but when I saw her her points are a reddish color as is her mane and tail...so..maybe a champagne.

LOL when you want to confirm ask Lil Beg....:eek:)

She could be palomino as well. What color is her skin?

Ashley, if she had red points and mane and tail, she wouldn;t be a palomino. She might be a perlino yet carry champagne too?? I don;t know what other genes would cause the amber colored eyes. Can you post pics of the eyes? (As far as that goes, of the entire horse?)

no...she is not a silver buckskin..there is no silver tinge just pale red

I took some pictures but she is a pony so I do not know if I will get booted off here..but I know if anyone will have the answers it will be you guys..anywho...looking at the picture of her eye I noticed she has freckles which if memory serves was one of the signs of being a Perlino.....what do you think?

DSC02648.jpg

DSC02647.jpg

Just for the record I have a gelding who has amber eyes. I believe him to be a silver buckskin (tho a dark on since he has chocolate points) but he shows no 'silver' tint at all. Just an odd shade of tan/gold with dark chocolate legs, mane and tail.

IMO your girl looks like she is champagne. Here is a quote from the ICHR site "The adult champagne horse will have pink skin with abundant dark freckles."

I took some pictures but she is a pony so I do not know if I will get booted off here..but I know if anyone will have the answers it will be you guys..anywho...looking at the picture of her eye I noticed she has freckles which if memory serves was one of the signs of being a Perlino.....what do you think?

DSC02648.jpg

DSC02647.jpg
By these pictures I would still say a silver buckskin.
default_smile.png

But I admit I don't know a whole lot about the champagne gene either. She could be carrying it as well.

As Reignmaker said, the freckles are a sign of the champagne gene. The color of that pony looks very much like that of my champagne mini mare.
default_yes.gif

All double dilute horses have blue eyes and pink skin, whether they are perlino, cremello or smokey cream. To my eyes, the horse pictured looks silver buckskin or champagne, but I am 100% sure she is not perlino. No way. A perlino's points are never that dark, not even close, and the skin is "spotlessly" pink on all double dilute horses.

thank you everyone...guess I misread about the freckles....((blush)))I was on color overload..but glad to at least have what she is!!

Champagne dilutes balck to reddish or silvery chocalote, and red to gold. The eyes at birth, are always white or pale blue, but darken with greenish flecks until they turn amber at three months of age.. Does this horse also have pumpkin colored skin? Then it is a Champagne Gold. And yes Champange does have freckled skin.

I'd say EXCITING!
default_yes.gif
NOT perlino. NOT silver. But she should be tested!

Would definitely add my vote with the possibility of Champagne.

I would also have to say champagne. I like to refer to this website, has alot of good info and a good pic and description of a gold champagne. http://www.whitehors...cg_basics2.html. Although looking at the perlino that is posted on there, it has that reddish tint in the main and tail and the gold champagne does not. It says a perlino is a bay + 2 cream genes. The 2 cream genes dillute the black points to a red or brown color and lightens the body color. Most of the champagnes I have seen have the lighter manes and tails. I was also told that the cremellos had to have blue eyes but the perlinos could have blue or the amber? I am by far no expert in color just trying to relay some info I found!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back