Pear shape belly?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking back to December I was giving her a hug and felt what with knowledge ONLY through photos, as the milk veins (?) the fluid feeling blobs equal on both sides extending about 4" up from her bag. I remember thinking clearly that this was a milk vein. But when I checked a few days later it was gone. I hope I explained it clearly. I am working on figuring out from my friend if there was anyway she was bred. So please advise just in case.

Update:

She might have been bred before I got her. A long time breeder friend that I sent photos to today who is the vet tech for horse vet says to her be ready at first of march. She thinks march or April. The past owner is going to be asked if she was bred and if so when and to who.

Well, that is an interesting update and makes a lot more sense just from the photos standpoint. And I am a bit jealous that it looks like you won't have to wait 10-11 months like the rest of us!!! I hope you can find out more about this other breeding.

Yes that would explain a lot if she was bred before I got her. But I thought I had more time to study and prepare! But I am glad I have you guys to guide me. I will keep posting updates and photos to share.

Hi NIcole, welcome to the nutty nursery . I have just read your story and wow is all I can say.. Its a shame there are people out there doing this the wrong way as on this forum I have met so many really great mini owners and breeders.. I know how you feel about only having one chance and it being a dream. I was the same as you but unfortunately my Miss Molly wasnt able to produce a healthy foal:(... bt in saying thta she is healthy and still with me
default_smile.png
...After joining this forum I realise how lucky people are to have a happy healthy foal and mare so please take good care of your little one, report this woman if you are able to and concentrate on your beautiful Mare and upcoming foal.. and after looking at your mares I agree this was about the size Molly was when I first had it confirmed on here she was pregnant...So good luck with her and let me tell you your minis are absolutely stunning.. I will be watching your story closely...xx
default_smile.png
<3

Thank you guys, all of you who are helping me learn the hard way. I may not know much but I know enough to have noticed Diamonds belly changing rapidly right after October. She has remained very healthy so I have wondered about this belly of hers all along.

And going back in hindsight I can see how the stud owner did take advantage of me. I never witnessed anything with my own eyes, and the 2-4 covers a day seemed extremely off. I think she took my money and was not honest about anything. She put my mare at risk and that is what gets me. For someone who portrays to be very experienced, the only experience she has is lying and avoiding the truth.

And this is one of the many personal reasons I have for not being a breeder.

As for when and how she could have been bred, I am waiting to hear back.

I am so happy to hear that Miss Molly is ok. I can manage losing a baby as long as Diamond is ok. I will tell you that yesterday I flew into a panic at the news of an impending birth many months before I expected. I had just started on building a foaling stall over the weekend. And I have only had one chance to view a video of minis foaling.

If anyone can help me jump ahead 6 months that would be wonderful. I have been going according to the date when I took her to be bred, I am afraid I have missed shots and diet changes and all she should have had done months ago.

I will get her to a vet but have to find a ride.

Hopefully I will get through this without panic and keep my heart from busting ;)

Yes you should be increasing her grain, but don't feel bad about that. Back in 1970 I bought a mare that the dealer I bought her from (who probably didn't know) kept insisting she wasn't bred, so when she started getting very ribby and had a big belly I WORMED her with a product not for pregnant mares. When she foaled she was very thin but she and the foal (a mule yet!!) did just fine.

Read everything you can on this forum, the Best of The Forum and go to Mare Stare (Google it) and watch as many foaling videos as you can. Also watch as many cams as you can because even if you miss a birth, you can likely (if you pay attention to posts) see right after the foal is born and what you need to do then. You might want to go over our thread from on this mare stare forum from last year because I tried to put extra information on it for our 4-Hers. We also had some things happen that can happen, but likely won't, but for the first time we had a wonderful foaling season!!!

Search the forum for foaling kits or - better yet - check out the 4-H section on our website where we have a write-up/lesson on foaling season and what you need. Good luck! She should get pre-foaling shots (to transfer immunity to baby) about a month before foaling but our first foal arrived at 303 days, the same day as her shots, so again, don't worry. You just do the best you can.

Quick update: Most likely bred to a solid black under 32" stud through the fence.

Can someone please give me colors to expect? I will post updates as I learn more. Funny that the previous owner also owned the stallion. His name is King.

I just got alfalfa pellets. But not sure how much to feed.

If you mare is black then the colors are black or black pinto unless they are both heterozygous for black/red. Then you could get a chestnut or chestnut pinto but not as likely.

Is the stud registered? Maybe you can get a registered foal after all. A late stallion report is not a big deal.

Not sure on the alfalfa pellets but as feed changes need to be made gradually, I would just give her a little bit to start.

Please dont worry, you are doing just fine and, judging from your pics on fb, so is Diamond.
default_yes.gif

It would help if you could get a slightly closer fix on when she and 'King' might have mated, if not then keep a good eye on her udder region. She may well develop quite an edema area in front of her udder,or she may simply start a slow increase in the size of the udder itself. As she has foaled before it is extremely unlikely that she will foal this time without some sort of udder development, so this is the best place to be watching to give you an idea of her progress/how near she is to foaling.

I dont use alfalfa here so you will need someone else to tell you how much to feed, but apart from this, I would just use a good quality mare and foal feed for her together with hay, grass and plenty of opportunity for daily exercise. Make sure her worming is up to date and perhaps make an appointment with your vet for any immunisation injections she may need (can you get your vet to visit, it is not good to travel mares within 6 weeks of the end of their pregnancy as it can bring on an early foaling, but if you really have to, make sure you have plenty of time and can take the journey really slowly. Is Diamond used to travelling and a calm relaxed traveller? If not, I would not consider doing the journey - just my opinion!

Do read through the information on Mary's website as suggested by her - lots of good and useful info there.
default_yes.gif

Tonight at dinner I felt a jelly blob where her stomach and flank meet on each side and her bag is firm now. Not full just getting more noticeable while touching it. I move her tail and she's not resisting the movement. I don't think I will get any of the past history, so I have nothing to go on. I have to finish stall can do in a few hours as soon as I am on my feet. And to top it off my husband goes out of town for a2 weeks leaving Sunday. So I am really stressed anyways. This part of foaling is not much fun lol. Oh and I have no help except for a vet who I have yet to meet, and i would like this to smoothly and not need a vet for this.

And vet visit for shots next on list. She is wormed regularly and not due for another. I am really amazed at all of you who do this often. You have given me so much advice and encouragement, that I am glad I came back! Now if someone has a zanax ;)

From last night her udder feels different. All I know was I got her in June. And she was bred before that. It seems like this will be a constant guessing game.

Dont forget that you have one major advantange - Diamond has foaled before, she is an 'experienced' mare! If you watch her closely (and I know that you are) she will probably take a lot of the 'guessing' away for you.
default_yes.gif

From your latest pictures it looks as though her udder is starting to flll and her tummy is dropping nicely. I would have a word with your vet about your concerns re a foaling date as I feel you may be very close to the 4 week 'before' date for any immunisation injections - another reason to have your vet visit you is so that he/she knows exactly where you live, most helpful should you need an emergency visit at foaling time!

As soon as you can, get Diamond into her foaling stall for the night time - she needs to not only get 'happy' to be shut in but needs that '4 weeks' to build her own immunity to any bugs/germs that may lurk there, which she will then pass on to her baby via her milk supply.

If the stallion King is registered, then you should be able to get a DNA sample from him to prove that the coming foal is his and thereby get the foal registered with a late stallion report - you may get your wish for a registered foal after all!! Meanwhile keep watching that udder and also Diamond's general behaviour - a lot of mares become more loving/want your attention etc as they get close to foaling.

Try not to worry too much, between us we will do our very best to get this precious baby safely delivered for you and Diamond.
default_yes.gif

First Thank you so much. I don't liking having to do this, but I have an illness that is acting up. So if I come across a little crazy, please bare with me. I am having a difficult time staying focused. I would love to post the link but I am having a hard time with even this simple task. If anyone can post it, thank you.

This morning her vulva is elongated when it was tight and short last night. Bit more jelly but bag is unchanged. Those are the only changes over night. Still being a pig and eating.

Called local vet, awaiting a call back to see about an appointment.

Well everyone I stressed myself right into the hospital. Wed my sodium was 120. At 115 cardiac arrest and coma happen.

I did manage to put up a dividing wall, plastic sheeting over the outside of the barn to keep out drafts, and baby play yard along inside wall for small gaps and things as I did not have plywood as I wanted. I wanted it to be safe enough for human baby. And just keep costal hay down. She eats in there, it is her stall and she seems to know what its for. With me being away it is out of my hands. I did my best.

Thanks for the advice and will keep you posted
default_smile.png

default_new_shocked.gif
I'd say it's a testament to your dedication that you were able to do as much as you did, considering the medical issues you are dealing with! Girls of all species have been having babies for a long time, and you're doing all you can for her, so try not to stress!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back