Pear shape belly?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamondinmypocket

Reaction score
We are still playing the is/isn't she pregnant game! Noticed all day today Diamond has a pear shaped belly. Think upside down cupcake. Bred 9/6.

So whats the recent belly change? Good sign???

I think we need a photo!!!!
default_smile.png

(this is a excited hint that we want to see your girl, not a bossy demand lol. Just thought i'd clarify that)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to brag! But I use a tablet and have not figured out how to post photos
default_sad.png
but I have before and up to now photos!

I am trying this from my tablet, but on the full site option, to test if I can get a photo posted. (My tablet is android based, exactly like a phone just bigger)

I have been out of the loop for so long, that I am having to catch up on thr changes to the forum!

As for Diamond, (mommy to be) I have friends who tell me over and over that yes she is preggers... I know more on every horse subject except breeding. And I still have a lifetime of learning to do...
default_smile.png
This breeding is my first and last I will ever undertake. So I know my little momma is healthy. I just chose to do this the old fashioned way, to enjoy every single moment of creating a new life. I have not used, by choice. It is a luxury which I feel is just that. Money I can put in the feed fund. Now if either of my horses needed life saving surgery, I will work myself to the bone to try to save them. I have gotten vibes on other posts that don't match mine, so I want to try to assure everyone I am not a horse owner that decent owners frown upon. I had to give up my horses 8 years ago. I am now lucky enough to be in a place where I can enjoy horses again. But thankfully in the 8 years I met a few very respected people in different areas of equines, and continued to learn.

Now I am also having to re-learn the forum I have missed so much, that has changed as much as technology. Would you believe me if I told you the last time I owned a computer was 6 years ago? Lol. So I will try to add a photo now, and if I can not get it to work I will get on my hubbys computer and figure it out there!

While you all are waiting for photos, can I hear about pear bellies? This am her belly was to the right. Its been shifting for a few weeks now. And I think I have felt movement last 2 nights, but I have no clue how/what to feel for. But she hating me for sisturbing her dinner with me telling her I want to hug my baby!

I agree with Diane - this is a very friendly forum, all we are keen to achieve is happy owners and happy mares with their precious little babies safely on the ground.
default_yes.gif

Also, unlike the main forum, most folks here keep just one thread going for all their foalings or questions- no need to start a new thread everytime. It saves us getting clogged up with pages of 'old' topics. You will also see that some of those who had threads for their foaling mares last year still keep their threads going with updated pics of their now weaned foals, and indeed are now continuing with news of their expectant mares for this coming year. As we are all friends here, we like to chat all year round - about general things, our families and our other animals and having just one thread each makes this much easier!

About Diamond - pear shaped is good, sounds promising, but at only approx 4 and a half months in foal I dont think you would be feeling foal movement just yet as baby is too small, another month or so and yes!!

By the way, may we know your name please.
default_yes.gif

Oh please do not think i am saying there was any improper behavior. And people are different in communicating. It was more as a worry for Diamond i picked up on, but i did want to try to assure Diamond is in safe hands spoiled as can be. Hence i only have two. I have been seeing the belly switching for a few weeks now. She is slowing down and thinks shes starving. Shes getting more pushy towards Heart as well Diamonds story is a funny one on how far out we have gone to make sure she is happy. This will be her 5th foal. And she is small. And when how do i fell for, and know when to expect to feel? I am keeping a photo diary of her along the way. I just trust the forum for info on the minis. I have much to learn, so advice and guidance is very welcome. I still love the family atmosphere. I would like to enjoy this experiance with everyone;-)

thanks so much guys!

Welcome back...and you will love the ladies here on this marestarer's board they are so nice and so helpful so thrilled they are here on LB. Hoping you can figure out posting pics

I love the forums. I am glad to be back! I meant to get the computer out but got too tired yesterday. Couldnt even finish a movie i was so pooped. But i got a photo of the pear shape,but diamond is b and w so it can be hard to see it. Its like a normal horse at the ribs going down and then a swelling below and behind her ribs. I do get monthly photos of all angles and udders to keep as a growing changing timeline.

I am so excited and glad i can come here to share and ask questions. Now i understand how nutty these mares make people! I admire those who do this every year and still have hair;-)

Also, on keeping one thread going, where and how should i get advice on a legal question i have? It is about this pregnancy, the girl who has the stud is avoiding me at all costs to finish the papers to get the breeding reported and i right now have no way to register this baby. I was told the studs papers are revoked, i have a signed breeding contract but no stud report. I was very selective on the stud, my goal is a show gelding out of this, but without papers no matter how amazing this foal might be his future will only be a backyard pet. Not that i mind that, but the studs owner knew i wanted to show the baby. We signed the stud report at the time i paid and i was told once the breeding dates were recorded she would give me my copy. I have tried politely to get the papers but this girl has blatently lied to my face to avoid me. It was someone here that looked up his papers told me they were revoked. I want to take her to court, but i would like to know if this is worth it with what i have. Just the contract. I did pay her for the service. My only other option is to buy the stud. I usually just let things like this go, but this is very special and extremely important and i do not want forget this one and accept it. I have not one contact that really knows equine law.

Welcome back! Can you post photos to Facebook (for public view) and then post the link to them on here? I have done that using my computer and it works.

And my name is Nicole!

Targetsmom, thank you! I was unaware that I could post a link. I will go do that now that the baby is napping.

His name is name is alamo rowdy triple star. He is a and r. I have no earthly idea what she is doing, let alone why. But any help is needed. This baby is that important! It's my first and only. But no matter what, it be special and loved.

Diane thank you. I had come to accept that this is a lose lose situation. I had a gut feeling when I went to her place. She has a nice place. Had beautiful goats which she said she had switched from miniatures a couple of years ago. Star was the only mini on her place. Really nice horse. But still a feeling that was off. But I was having a tough day so I attributed to that. When she started telling me how much they loved diamond I rushed and got her before she tried something shady. And what gets me is we signed all paperwork the night I took diamond over. I saw the papers but so much was going on that I wasn't given much chance to look closely. She told me she was in a hurry but we had this appt set a week in advance.

As for photos there is a Facebook page I set up yesterday. Progress photos there but you have to read the captions as they didn't get uploaded in order.

Thanks so much everyone.

Facebook/intheheartofponies

I know this must be disappointing, but try not to get too discouraged. Breeding minis can frequently be disappointing, if not downright heartbreaking. So if you end up with a live, healthy foal out of this, consider yourself very lucky! And if the foal just happens to be a pinto, you can still get him hardship registered with Pinto (www.pinto.org). You might have to geld to do that, but at least you could have a registered mini. And you will have to be patient, as waiting 10 or 11 months can seem like forever.

I went to your facebook page and see what you mean about the belly!! But that is very unlikely to be the result of a breeding in August unless there is something else going on. Your mare has foaled before as I recall, and she could have not returned to her "girlish" figure but that looks extreme to me. Will be interested to hear what others say.

Here is the link to the page (hope you don't mind my posting): https://www.facebook.com/InTheHeartOfPonies

By the way, the stallion looks gorgeous!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its more of a shame. I will in no means be unhappy with a live healthy baby. Its has been a dream of mine to breed my own miniature. It's just very sad that my one and only go at it happened this way. Now I am focusing on diamond and keeping her safe and healthy. Now that I am seeing changes in her, I really need as much help as I can get. I really need input on her size and shape. I know twins happen and usually it's not a good ending. This is why I choose to not u/s her earlier. It was a luxury at that time. Now I am further along, I have more set aside if she needs something.

Because I can not upload photos to the forum, my only option is the Facebook page.

And yes it is a long wait. Patience? What's that lol ;)

On the legal side, what about representing herself as the owner when she is not? I am in Texas where most judges have a horse or two.

I just read your update Target. Thank you for posting the link. I too really want to hear others input as I keep hearing its not right for her to be so big.

Here is her history as I know it.All

I got her from a trusted friend. I had a big mare I traded for. My friend Rene has had her for a while. Will ask her exactly how long.

She has had more than one foal. She seasoned late. At the beginning she was here by herself. Took advice from several people and got a young pygmy goat who was 4 months old.

They bonded as if he was a foal.

Met this breeder while searching for goat supplies. She told me of her stud. Got her number as he was for sale.

A month later Diamond seasoned. We planned on having her castrate our goat. So when this happened, we planned on having her stud breed Diamond. I took both to her farm. When we got there the goat was castrated and Lord did he scream lol. This got Diamond worked up. So with the goat and mare acting distressed we decided to keep them together. 2 days later Diamond was out of season, and protecting the goat from everyone and thing. I brought the goat home and she cycled with teasing, and bred. This breeder bred her several times a day for six days. No flames please. I trusted her word as she knew what she was doing. I found this out later after I chased her for a couple of weeks.

So here I am glad a friend is an experienced breeder who is a tech for a great horse vet.

Also I want to mention about her diet.

Until December she was eating soaked beet pulp shreds and a TSC brand pellets. She also has 24/7 pasture.

In December I placed her on mini pony by purina. But I fed the same amount. Then at the the the first week oj January I noticed her balloon over night it seemed. But my other mare has maintained beautifully with out gain or loss. So I got a scale small enough to weigh under a pound. I was giving her double rations each day according to purina website.

So I weigh feed once a week now to assure that it stays the same. I changed to beet pulp shreds in the pm with pellets and pellets and coastal hay in am. I need to let pasture rest after all the rains, so I started offering hay to keep them munching during the day. She is alpha, so there is no telling how often she got Hearts meal, even though they are separated by a huge distance. I do not see it much but sometimes I do when I am indoors. I sit by a window with full view of the barn.

So as bad as I feel about the feed, I would feel so much better if opinions are she's overweight and pregnant.

Thanks for posting the link Targetsmum. I can see what you mean about pear shaped! lol and Daddy is very cute.

Those facebook pics are very interesting! If I was just looking at them for someone who wanted an opinion on whether their mare was in foal or not, I would have to say that she looked as though she was getting close to actually foaling - the pics from the rear make it look as though baby has already dropped and the ones from July look like a mare at the start of showing that she might be pregnant from, say, an early April covering. But then you have the 'proof' that she was covered in August when you went to your friends with Diamond and your goat!

Some mares do allow covering even when pregnant (particularly as you said that Diamond got a bit stressed) - is it at all possible that Diamond was exposed to the stallion earlier in the year (beautiful stud by the way!!)?

I, too, will be interest to hear what the other Aunties think.
default_yes.gif

Let me post udder shots. Have a few over time for my own documentation. But will she cycle or appear if she is?

Latest posts

Back