Paypal/eBay Nightmare!! Advice please!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockRiverTiff

Reaction score
I have a lot of hard-headed friends, and they all say the same thing, but I am still wavering. I thought I'd turn to other horsey people for advice. Warning, this is going to be a long one, but I really would appreciate some honest advice.

A couple weeks ago I sold a very nice saddle on eBay. I've just been using it as a pleasure saddle, and the only horse it fits is leased out for two years, so I figured I'd make some space. I advertised with 10 large, clear pictures from every angle and clearly said in the listing that while it was an expensive saddle when made, it was missing all the skirt silver when I purchased it. The buyer received the saddle and left me positive feedback. As soon as I left them positive feedback, I got a call. And then another call. And then an e-mail.

Long story short, they tried to say I didn't tell them about the missing silver. And I said "Look at the ad." They initially said they were going to file an eBay fraud claim, and I was fine with that, since eBay can also just look at the ad and see I was honest, and since I have 100% feedback. So they dropped that line and started saying instead of corner plates it was missing 48 conchos (they counted the mounting holes from the plates), and that I had only said it was missing plates. Have any of you EVER seen a saddle with 48 individual conchos? Bonkers! Well once I calmly explained those were mounting holes, and that they were also readily visible in the photos, she dropped that line too.

So a few days ago she e-mails me outside of eBay demeaning my character and threatening to do a chargeback. And I said go ahead--Paypal will figure it out. But she didn't pay with Paypal, she paid with a credit card, and according to the Paypal advisor I spoke with, it could freeze my account for 75-100 days while they investigate the claim. (I wish there was a head on fire smiley I could insert here.)

Today she calls and says she is sending the saddle back because her credit card company told her to in preparation for the chargeback. And then she says she would settle it all for a $100 refund. I feel like she's holding my Paypal account for ransom!! I feel confident that I would ultimately come out on top of this, but I do a lot of eBay business (I actually work part-time at an eBay store) and use my Paypal for other things as well, and I'm starting to wonder if I wouldn't just rather pay the $100 and be done with this.

All my friends say that I'm in the right and should see this through, and I hate to "plea bargain" if I'm innocent to begin with, but having no Paypal access for almost three months would be a nightmare in itself. What do you guys think? It just makes me sad that for all the buyer rights, there are no seller rights. :no:

I would just tell her to send the saddle back for a refund.

I've considered that too, Nicole. But then for my honest I am still out shipping charges and my eBay listing and final listing fees, and I've got to do the whole thing over again.

I've considered that too, Nicole. But then for my honest I am still out shipping charges and my eBay listing and final listing fees, and I've got to do the whole thing over again.
Why are you out the shipping charges? Those should be her responsibility as she is the one that wanted the saddle in the stated condition, and she is the one who is not happy with it. I would darn well make sure that she knows that you would refund the money MINUS the shipping charges!!! This is very common in all types of mail order businesses!

I also would just take the saddle back and ONLY issue the refund once the saddle was in your hands and shown to be in the same condition as you sent it out. This is just me personally.

Now did your auction state "as is?" I hope so. If it did, then I would do nothing but fight the whole situation as you clearly stated and showed the condition of the saddle. After all, on auctions, it is buyer beware.

Another thing to consider is the refund of 100 dollars less than the cost of the ebay fees and shipping? If it is, and if you wish to do the refund, make absolutely sure that the buyer sends you all of the information THROUGH ebay so you have record of it at ebay. And do keep all your emails as proof as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing ebay highly reccomends you never reply to emails that are not through their system and you can even forward the emails sent outside the system to them to help with resolving the issue.

ABSOLUTELY!!! You as the 'merchant' have rights too! Print off a copy of your ad, or have ebay send you one if it's gone. Also print ALL of the emails back and forth on this-

I worked in merchant disputes for several years in Fraud before doing what I am doing now and I can tell you the more info you send, the better off you are. Many times the emails and other info will prove the real deal and the disputer just has to deal with it. The Cardmember is NOT always right- they need to read sales agreements, card contracts and return policies. (and tell the truth)

Perhaps you could just put on ads right now that you accept checks and m/o's until this is settled? That way you dont have to use your paypal acct? If she paid with a credit card, isn't that coming through your paypal account? They can help you also- call them or contact them for assistance.

Get your paperwork in order and I would fight it. Did you state any type of return policy on your ad at all?

Back