So excited, I can finally post on this page.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovemylilbit

Reaction score
Hi, I am Laura, and I have been a member of this forum for a while now, but it has always been a dream of mine, I hadn't owned a Mini yet so I just read posts and didn't really participate. We had bought one a few years ago, but before we could bring her home we found out that my husband was getting discharged from the military due to medical reasons, we knew we had no way of taking her with us. Fast forward to now, about a year and a half ago my husband and I bought a house with 5 acres, and in an area we could have our small farm. We started with chickens, goats, ducks, and now finally I have a 4 year old Mini Mare. Her name is Elizabeth, we call her Lizzy. She is beautiful, it was love at first sight. I have had a full size horse before, he was an Arabian and I loved him so much. We did find an excellent home for him though and I am able to keep in touch and see how he is doing. Since Lizzy is not only my first miniature horse, but also my first mare I know I have a lot to learn.

She does well on a lead line, the previous owner said they have had a saddle on her, but no kids to ride her, so she isn't able to be ridden yet. She is very sweet and follows us around. She does not like her feet messed with, so we will have to work with her on that, although her hooves do look well taken care of. There is a possibility that she may be bred. He had not had the vet out to check for pregnancy yet, so I will be getting her into my vet as soon as I can to see if she is, and get advice on feeding her to keep her healthy during pregnancy. He did say that if she was bred it could have been about 6 to 8 months ago, I know that a vet can tell IF she is pregnant, but can they get an idea on how far along she may be if she is?

Well anyhow, I am looking forward to getting to know all I can, I am excited to have my girl that we all love so much already, and many years of enjoyment with her.

IMG_0104.JPG

Welcome to the mad house! She's lovely. As for feeding don't worry too much until the vets been, she looks reasonably wel covered from what I can see of her. A vet will give you more info on feeding etc too. They can only guess how far she is but don't let them fob you off by just looking at her and saying maybe yes maybe no. Make them check properly haha.

Sounds like you are off to a great start! What a perfect time to be able to have a few acres; your children are just the right age to enjoy the animals.

Your pretty little girl looks way too small for anyone to ride, but they will have lots of fun just playing with her and learning about horses. I had a 29" gelding that worked very well in a cart.

You will be visiting the MareStare forum if you find out she is in foal. Do you know if she has ever had a foal?

Welcome to the wonderful world of Miniatures , bit like a bag of chips, hard to stop at one
default_smile.png

This is a wonderful forum, everyone is really nice and happy to answer any questions you may have.

Pop on over to the marestare section and check out some of the threads
default_smile.png

welcome again
default_smile.png

I think she is pretty. Looking at your photo, I'm surprised that you mention that Lizzy doesn't like her hooves diddled with. In the photo, there's humans piled all over her. I'm betting if you keep touching her all over that, in short order, hoof work will be no problem.

Thanks for the welcome. I am so excited to have her, and can just sit outside just watching her. No she has never had a foal before. She is fine with us petting her but does not like her belly being touched, as long as my hand is moving she doesn't care, but if I just have my hand on her she will nudge it off or try to bite. I really want to earn her trust and have a wonderful relationship with her. She is only 4 so she will be with me for a long time. I am still working on finding a vet, I have one for my goats, but I live too far out that she won't do a farm call here, so I have to take them there. So I have been asking around and trying to find a good vet that I can have come out to my house.

She is doing really well so far. I do think she has a little food aggression and that could be from where I got her he said that all his horse were fed together and maybe she had to fight for her food, she does not like being messed with or even walked up on while she is eating, that is the only time she has really backed up ready to give a good kick. Other then hay or grazing in the yard the only place I feed her is in her stall and I give her some space and time so she can eat in peace.

I do have a lot to learn, I will be the first one to admit that, but I am looking forward to this journey and so thankful that my dream came true and I finally have her.

Latest posts

Back