Paw prints

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heart k ranch

Reaction score
My friend heard from a breeder that paw prints in toby's when that they are homo. is that true?

I know in Paints that isn't always true...

Last edited by a moderator:
The same genetics apply to Paints as apply to Miniatures so no, paw prints do not always mean the horse is homozygous. Some homozygous horses will have paw prints but some will not have any at all.

Thank you! My friend was looking at a stud that said they said he was homozygous because he has paw prints.

I thought I would ask before I started to tell my friend.

There is a genetic test for homozygous tobiano, might be worth having that test done before your friend buys the stallion!
default_smile.png

There is a genetic test for homozygous tobiano, might be worth having that test done before your friend buys the stallion!
default_smile.png

I think that is what she is going to do. She wants a pinto foals. I think it would be worth a couple gold stars to get it done

I was told the same thing when I rescued my paint mare. She not only has paw prints, but ink spots , dorsal and ermine spots. The APHA even has it in their web sight but I had my mare tested and she is heterozygous. So it is untrue.

For those that are just learning about the homozygous tobiano gene TT there is one set of circumstances that would not require testing for the homozygous gene and that is IF both parents have been tested positive for the TT gene.I am sure most of you know this already but for those just learning it is nice to know. I have several foals that were out of 2 homozygous tobiano parents and I would not test them unless the buyer just wanted it done to have it verified in writing.

I used to own a homozygous pinto stallion with lots of paw prints...here is a daughter of his that is out of a SOLID CHESTNUT mare. This filly is heterozygous tobiano. But everyone that came to the farm always thought she was homozygous because she had a lot of paw prints.

PAB-left2.jpg

Exactly right, paw prints do not always prvoe homozygous tobiano, the tests are $25.00 and well worth the price to know. I adore the look of paw prints. I am searching for another homozygous tobiano stallion right now.

I used to own a homozygous pinto stallion with lots of paw prints...here is a daughter of his that is out of a SOLID CHESTNUT mare. This filly is heterozygous tobiano. But everyone that came to the farm always thought she was homozygous because she had a lot of paw prints.

PAB-left2.jpg

Actually....I would not consider this mare's markings as "pawprints". They resemble the lacey Sabino markings more.
default_yes.gif
Pawprints or inkspots are usually smaller & closer together, IMHO.

I havent seen paw prints like that but I do believe they are different from ink spots.

Dorsal(lower leg) and ermine(at hoof) spots:

The only difference is in the location

Shyconfopics003.jpg

inkleg.jpg

Ink spots are found in the white.

shyconfo019.jpg

Also my mare has some sabino in her pattern, that is evident in her jagged lines on her legs, the snip on her chin and the 'roaning' on her back next to the white.

The APHA also states that some Tobianos with roaning,and all the ink, dorsal, ermine spots, and paw prints are thought to be homozygous. As I stated Shy has them and is heterozygous.

There is a new test that might prove to be more accurate then the test currently in use for tobiano. The test is being done at the University of Kentucky and is proving to be very accurate.

This is our homozygous for tobiano stallion. He has just had his first foal, a colt that also is homozygous for tobiano. Both the sire and dam of this colt are homozygous for tobinao. The colt is also homozygous for black.

jazz5.jpg

This is our homozygous for tobiano stallion. Canterbury All That Jazz.

Plenty of paw marks to go around!

Latest posts

Back