Pasturing minis with big horses-- do you prefer or would you?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not ever- I sold a nice filly years ago to some knowledgable folks and they had her in the pen NEXT to the big ones- she was killed with a broken neck when one of them reached over the fence and picked her up by the neck. Know of another whose little Mini ended up with a broken jaw and could barely eat from a kick from a big horse- through an adjoining fence. I leave alleys between fencing of at least a few feet or make sure the fence is tall enough so the big ones cant reach over either.

There's the old saying 'Everything is fine until it isn't'. I will never risk it because I couldnt live with the guilt if something ever happened.

I have to add that I never turn my mini out unsupervised, I'm home most of the time so she gets her daily turnout but I don't ever leave her out even if I just leave for 30 minutes. Her stall walls and door are tall enough where they can touch noses but not more than that. I do want them to have body contact but be safe about it. However if I would ever have an additional big horse here I would take extra measurements such as adding a 2x6 on the top of my fence and adding boards below to protect from kicks. I saw what "could" happen when I had her in my "pen" once (made of 6 round pen panels) before I built her pasture, she reached through and tried to nibble on his tail, one kick is all it would have taken for her to be injured so that's when I hurried up and made her pasture.

You could be standing right next to her, it would make NO difference, I am sorry. It is, IME, rarely the nasty kicks and bites that do the harm, as you can see those coming and only an idiot would turn as little one out with a nasty BH anyway. It is the friendly, standing quietly by their sides and a fly bites, kicks that do the most damage. I do not believe there is any situation in which this is safe, and most people seem to agree.....

Latest posts

Back