Pasture breeding question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
I have a question about pasture breeding. I have only hand bred before.

Many of you know that My Dad is extremely ill and was finally discharged from the hospital, and came home to me. My time is limited as I need to care for him. I am NOT complaining at all, but I don't know if I will have time to hand breed this year and I do want some babies for 2007.

I have one stallion, and according to my calender, all the mares will be coming into heat within the same two weeks. I have 7 mature mares.

Can I put the stallion in with the mares and let nature take its course? He is tiny ,less than 28" and some mares are 32.5" I am willing to take a chance that he won't be able to breed them without assisitance, but maybe he can, who knows. Maybe I will bet a couple babies for 2008?

Any advice with pasture breeding?

Thanks,

Robin

Robin, This is what I would do. Take a shovel and dig straight down into the ground, if you have a slight hill, this works good but flat will work ok too. Dig it about 6-8 inches deep, then of course, slant it out to the front of the hole. Then all you have to do is halter a mare, take her to your dug out and the stud will get behind and breed her easily. He will learn real quick when he sees you halter a mare, he will probably run over to the hole and wait, mine do. It won't take to long this way and you'll know for sure they're getting bred. If you don't have time to do this, he will probably get the job done anyway , he's a man, he'll find a way!
default_wink.png
:

I'm sorry about your dad, I hope things are ok.

As any hard-core mini (or horse) person will tell you, horses have been breeding naturally for centuries/millenia. I'm sure he'd get the job done.

That said, I personally would never put my pride and joy stallion out in a herd situation with mares. I've seen enough mares injure stallions that its just not worth the risk to me. I've seen stallion's penises cut through like cheese by errent tail hairs, even when both parties were very willing to mate. I've worked on stallions who had penile injuries that were career threatening. I've also seen nice little infections in mares caused by improper cleaning of the stallion and mare's equipment.

To me its not worth the risk. Of COURSE it CAN be done, no question of that, but in my herd there is no natural selection, there is NATHAN'S selection. So if nature disagrees and decides to eliminate my beloved stallion from the herd, I think I'd be a wee bit upset.

SO, moral of the story, no live cover for me, no pasture breeding for me. All AI and frozen/cooled/fresh semen for me. With my mini I'd allow live cover, but only done properly as I learned with Thoroughbreds.

If you do do a pasture breeding situation, have no fear about tall mares. When they want to breed, they will. I've seen a 30" mini get 85% pregnancy rates in a herd of TB mares, not one shorter than 16h.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a friend whos 28" stallion pasture bred her 35" mare, successfully. She also had a 32" stallion successfully cover a 38" mare. I am sure your stallion and mares will figure it out on their own. Good luck.

I would also let him pasture breed this season. That's what I plan to do next year with both DunIT and Destiny. I'm getting a little "tired" of chaparoning DunIT's dates this year!!! DunIT (31") was able to breed (though not yet get in foal) my leopard mare (37.5")! Since your guy is more experienced, I bet he will get the job done even with his taller dates.

Robin do what you have to do and am sure your little guy will get the job done Where there's a will there's a way. I would try to be sure mares are in heat before exposing him to this to help defray possibilities of him getting hurt or put him with only 3 mares at a time. perhaps 3 one day and 4 the next If the mares are already in a herd situation that should help. I would just hate to see your little guy get hurt in the process.

Robin, I pasture breed as many of my mares as possible. I would guess that the majority of your mares will get in foal. You'd be surprised at how they can figure out the breeding 'issues'!
default_smile.png
I write down when I see my mares in heat and when they appear to be out. I haven't missed yet on my breeding dates. :bgrin

All the responders are the best, I just can't get over how helpful and willing to help the next person do the right thing or the best method. I'm just amazed at the fellowship on this forum as well as the quality and dedication the members have for minis. Excellent advice.

Mary

All the responders are the best, I just can't get over how helpful and willing to help the next person do the right thing or the best method. I'm just amazed at the fellowship on this forum as well as the quality and dedication the members have for minis. Excellent advice.

Mary

Pastur breeding ability depends on the stallion. OUr 28" stallion is great and can and will catch any mare that is put out with him. On the other hand our 33" stallion I had to bring back in as he would not breed in the filed and on top of that I had to have him in a stall for twoweeks before he wanted to breed again. I guess he wasn't smart enought to realize when they weren't in heat and just kept trying to breed and finally got tired of getting kicked at. After the two weeks he is back to his old self.

I would suggest toput the stallion with 1 or 2 at6 a time to start and see how it goes and then add the other mares later.

Mary

Pasture breeding ability depends on the stallion. OUr 28" stallion is great and can and will catch any mare that is put out with him. On the other hand our 33" stallion I had to bring back in as he would not breed in the field and on top of that I had to have him in a stall for two weeks before he wanted to breed again. I guess he wasn't smart enought to realize when they weren't in heat and just kept trying to breed and finally got tired of getting kicked at. After the two weeks he is back to his old self.

I would suggest to put the stallion with 1 or 2 at a time to start and see how it goes and then add the other mares later.

Hi Robin

We have turned our 28" stallion with only 1 mare at a time up to 34" and the biggest problem we have on him breeding on his own is the mare standing still for him because they are fidgiting around we usually go in at least once a day and hold the mare for him and help where needed (argh!!) but its a big help to him just to halter the mare and hold her still

weather he gets them good aside from that its a maybe but at least we don't have to walk the stallion and mare out to each other we don't totally trust all our mares in this situation yet, but a few we do the others we just hand breed maybe we just have to learn to trust the others too.

Good luck you'll be surprised with these little guys

Lori

We have done both and I prefer to let the stallion we have pasture breed. We have more success. We only put him in with mares that are ready. All are bigger (taller) than he is. I have observed this- if my stallion is too short to reach, he will gently nip at the mare's hind legs and she "squats" farther down..which looks a lot easier for them both. My stallion is an older guy and has figured out the "tricks of the trade" so to speak....

I am not sure if I had him by a halter if he would do that. I would probably be restricting him and the breeding might not go as planned by nature. I figure he knows how to sweet talk his gals so I let him do it unhindered.

Nature has this all planned out. It takes some young guys a while to learn, but I assume they eventually all do.....

Im with Nathan on this one I know many mini people do it of course many more mini people then full size horses and most do it without incident however I can assure you like anything else once you have an incident which are usually resulting in injury to the stallion be it long term or permanant you will actually "see" the other side of the story

This quote of Nathans pretty much sums it up for me

To me its not worth the risk. Of COURSE it CAN be done, no question of that, but in my herd there is no natural selection, there is NATHAN'S selection. So if nature disagrees and decides to eliminate my beloved stallion from the herd, I think I'd be a wee bit upset.

However all of that said... different things work for different people and as long as something is working for us of course we consider it the right way :)

Robin in no way would I think bad of you for doing what will work for you at this time and point in your life heck think of how boring it would be if we all did things the same way and all only saw one right way

Last edited:
That is all we do now is pasture breed. With the exception of this year, I am doing some pasture and some hand breeding with Boo until he learns.

Our stallions as 33"- 33" and 30". SO of coarse the 33" ones have no problem on reaching any of them.

We used to have a 28" stallion, he had no problem breeding and settleing mares up to 37".

WHere there is a will there is a way.

We do have better luck with pasture breeding and settleing.

You know how I feel about pasture breeding- I do not, will not do it.

BUT your life has to come first and if you want some foals next year this is the only way you are going to get them!!

As to the mechanics of the situation- he will manage fine- if you see him lugging a mini trampoline across the paddock you know he may want some help!!
default_smile.png

I would not put him out with seven mares, though, not if he is not used to it.

I would split the mares into two groups and put one group out with him one day and one group the next- it may be easier to move the stallion!!

It will be unsettling for them but it will keep him focused on the "job" as it were.

If you turn him out with seven potentially in season mares he will breed one, maybe two and leave the rest- he is not experienced enough to cope with all that nooky in one go!! (who is???
default_rolleyes.gif
: )

So if you can manage a bit of very basic management I am sure the horses will take care of the rest.

You have to put your father first, that is the truly important thing at the moment.

I put the mare, when I know she is in season, in a corral about 24 x 40, with the stallion and it worked perfectly.

I had complete success with 3 maiden mares and a young stallion. Of course, it helped that the stallion was very efficient! The mares varied from 29" - 35" and he was 30" tall and he got the job done immediately and then quietly went back to eating his hay
default_yes.gif
:

For me this works. I never have anyone here to help me and I think this is the best of both worlds. I know who/when has been bred but I can view it from the house with the kids safely inside:)

Besides the obvious danger of small kids being near a breeding stallion, it also is embarassing hearing them explain every detail to the kids at the bus stop :lol: , most of whom don't even own a fish
default_wink.png
:

OMG Fiona- do I ever remember that!!

Oh the red faces- and the thanking GOD that I always used the euphemism "Done" as our then three year old announced to anyone who would listen "Fred has done my mare and now she is going to have a baby"!!!! :new_rofl: :new_rofl: :risa_suelos:

Last edited by a moderator:
'Robin, first I want to say how sorry I am to hear about your Dad and I hope he will do well after coming home with you.

I would not worry about your stallion reaching your taller mares. Where there's a will, he will find a way to breed them as usually the mare in full heat will squat down for a shorter stallion. I would give it a try and I'm sure he will get the job done. Good luck and also with your Dad.

Joyce

Here's my 2 cents.........

With a young inexperienced stallion, we will hand-breed and basically "teach" him how to approach and flirt for his first few mares.

After that we keep things as natural as possible.....Each of our stallions has his band of mares -- even if it's just one or two mares for the season. A couple of our boys have more........we have 18 mares. Our smallest stallion is only 28.5" and he has done his job with 32 to 33" mares.

The important part is to keep things documented. I use a large calender and document when we put a mare in with their stallion, when they are showing heat, and when a breeding is actually witnessed.

Your calendar will be invaluable with the following season and watching your pregnant mares and when to pull them into your "ladies in waiting" area for their extra grain, etc........

Trust me, pasture breeding is not that uncommon. I'm just sorry you are doing it under the conditions you are in.

MA

I say "Go for it". They will be happy to be able to accomodate and let horses do what horses do! I bet you will be surprised that your little guy with do just fine without help! :bgrin

Robin,

First I want to say I am sorry about your dad. I am also proud you are putting your dad first...that is what I would do.

Now, on the horses.....I have always pasture bred without any problems at all for several years. I do agree with some of the others....I would not just put him out with all of them at once to start off. I would add a couple at a time...when he gets used to them...add a couple more...untill you have them all out with him. As far as the size I don't think that would be a problem either. My 30.5" stallion has bred up to 35" in the pasture. I don't know how ...but, as alot have said nature takes it's course.

Latest posts

Back