Palomino or what?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkStalkings

Reaction score
So my new colt arrived and I tried... really I did to wait until spring to clip his face but I couldn't....

SO I clipped partial face on him...
rolleyes.gif

Well underneath I'm puzzled because it wasn't what I expecting..

His face turned a sooty chocolate color.. and its pretty dark. He had a star when he arrived.. but that was NOT there underneath.. which I hope it stays gone because I love the dark face palominos.

Lets start here.. Mom is a Dun and White [ I believe, might be buckskin ] Sire is a LOUD Sorrel and White Overo. Their parents? I don't know.

So besides the very dark face.. He has an odd pattern on his face.. two white patches above each eye. and between lips and cheeks he has those funking white giraffe tracking .. I know it has a name, I just forget..

Either way his eyes are interesting.. that grey look rather than brown.. I'm just curious if underneath all that fuzz is a chocolate pali.. I'm rooting for a nice dark chocolate pali..

Don't take offense to this anyone. But I perfer the chocolates because they don't normally have that pink toned face after a clip. : )

I'll post pictures soon.. BUT is there a chance a Dun/Bucksin and Sorrel can produce a Chocolate

I'm no horse genetics expert, but there are lots of people who seem to be pretty well versed on the subject on the CPEA horse colors board. I think the website is www.doubledilute.com and you go down a bit and click on the message board. It is one of my favorite boards and I have learned LOTS there.

Stacye

It sounds like he is a sooty Buckskin + Pangaré can you post pictures???

Last edited by a moderator:
very possible if one of the parents carries silver 2 of the most common incorrect colors are dun and sorrel so it is possible?

Well, without seeing photos, it's anyone's guess!
rolleyes.gif

But, what came to my mind was Silver-Dapple. They have a characteristic dark "mask" on the face....and that "mottled" look between the lips & cheek is another Silver characteristic.

"Chocolate Palomino" is just a dark "shade" of Palomino. True Chocolate Palominos are rare in Minis....and I have yet to see one.

Silver-Chocolate, however, is very common & often mistaken for Palomino.

The sorrel sire could hide the "silver" gene. And dun & buckskin often carry silver as well....sometimes only lightening the mane & tail a little bit. So, it's very possible that your colt is actually a Silver Dapple. (AKA Silver-Black or Silver Chocolate)

Would like to see actual photos of your boy before giving my opinion tho.

In many/most cases the color of the horse's eyelashes is the body color. This is dead on for palomino's, chestnuts and bays. In all three of those examples there are degrees of color which the eyelashes pick up. With the duns/buckskins they seem to always have black eyelashes which I've been told has something to do w/ their genes.

Good luck and like you, I would have done a sneak peak!!!

I was looking through another thread ...

Chynagurl8 posted a pic of her filly Ginger I believe, was her name.

Her face is pretty much identical to my colt! LOL, excepting the fact that "Pheonix" which I finally named him today is more WHITE than yellow or silver. He is extremely pale.

Pictures will be up by the weekend.

I do beleive Ginger was a silver dapple.

Latest posts

Back