Palomino or Maximum White Pinto?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
After reading another very similar thread on a QH colt, thread, it also made me want to post about a colt born here that sounds the same as that one. He was born looking a VERY, PALE, PALE cream color...just an "off white", so I figured he was a very light shade of palomino. Dad is a buckskin, dam is a silver bay homozygous pinto. So this colt IS pinto, and I cannot see spots! LOL! He may be very minimally marked, or he may be maximum white! If he were mine, I'd have him color tested, but he was sold in utero..(someone got a GREAT deal!!
default_biggrin.png
) Here he is at birth...at that time, I thought I could see a white sock on the left hind leg, and the other day, I THOUGHT I could see a faint couple of small spots along his topline. (not sure though!)

gopher.jpg

And here he is at I think about 4 days old...

dollbaby.jpg

I have parted his hair and all I can see is pink skin, yet his "white" coloring does not look bright white like as if it were pinto white. I am truely stumped on this one! here is what has me REALLY stumped...he has the PINK skin (that is NOT going to darken) so why the pink skin? He must either have a bald face or be maximum white pinto, correct? Mom and Granddam both have roaning, and probably splashed white too!

face.jpg

I just yesterday sent samples in of Mom and Granddam to test them both for LWO and Sabino1. It won't tell me what the colt is, but may help!

Dam: (blue eyes, facial markings and roaning)

jubee.jpg
jubee2.jpg

Granddam: (facial markings and roaning)

deelite.jpg

My guess, Isabella palomino minimal marked pinto.. Maybe silver in there.. Have a big horse friend that calls these "white gold", they are palominos, just so light they look white..
default_smile.png

In the first pic looks like he has a wide blaze and maybe stockings on the back.. Once his foal colt starts shedding he'll more than likely get a little more "yellow" to him..

a good way to see spots on light horses is to get them wet and then you can usually see the white spots

Beautiful boy! If you haven't named him yet, I would throw "White Gold" in there somewhere--it just sounds cool!

default_wub.png

Cute colt...........also wondering what color...??? These minis are always giving us such a time with color.

And congrats to the new owner of him.......he would be a keeper for sure!!!

In the first pic looks like he has a wide blaze and maybe stockings on the back.
I can see what is making you think you see the blaze, but it is the flash on his wet skin/fur just making it appear that way. If he had only a blaze, he would have black pigment around his eyes, and it is very pink.

a good way to see spots on light horses is to get them wet and then you can usually see the white spots
Kay, I know, and that is why I tried so hard to see something when he was born, but all I managed to see was what looked like one rear sock. It's so frustrating not knowing! LOL!!

Thanks to all on their compliments...he is one I was wishing I had not sold in utero! ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes when they are just born the socks have blood on them and it is hard to tell the white.

I still think you have a irregular blaze in the original foal photos that is jagged around the left eye. Sabino kind of blaze that would allow the palomino color eye skin coloring.

To me he appears to be a palomino, not a maximum white. We have had two of those and they are startling, bleached white at birth.

MONA!
default_new_shocked.gif
I don't know what colour he is, but he is super cute
default_wub.png
Wow!

Mona if he were white he would look white, and he doesn't!!

He looks pale Palomino.

You could have Splash white eyes, and they need have nothing to do with the blaze, which I don't actually think he has, BTW.

Even if he has to be Pinto he does not have to have any real white on him at all, he could have a coin sized splodge on his umbilical and still, technically, be Pinto!!

Actually, he could be H/Z Pinto and only have that.....

Doesn't really matter though, he is such a pretty colt he could be mud brown and no-one would care!!

Oh and the skin...it might surprise you yet, I had a Chestnut colt born six years ago that had such bright pink skin I even sent off pictures to see if he could be Champagne!!!!

It was bright pink EVERYWHERE...this colt came fully, and very well equipped (as it were) and they were bright pink too, and very obvious, I swear they glowed in the dark.

It took six weeks for him to fade.....even round his eyes (which were dark) it was pink pink pink....it eventually faded to flesh colour and as an adult he had sort of dark fawn skin....not the normal colour, more like a Palominos skin colour.

So he could surprise you.

And that'll learn ya to sell mare's in foal....did you not know this is a well founded fact???

If you sell the mare in foal it will either1) have a beautiful filly

2) have one of the best foals you have ever seen!!!
default_laugh.png

That colt is wicked CUTE!
default_wub.png

I had a palomino mare in her 20's (so the skin was as dark as it was going to get) and her skin all over was PINK! Not dark like a palomino is supposed to have! You just never know I guess.

Mona,

I agree with Lucky C Acres. Isabella palomino. As to whether there is white or not, it is going to be hard to tell, perhaps forever. I had one that one year, when she was 3 years old, I found a white sock on her when clipping after a bath.

You can wet him down, but still, you will not be sure where there is white and where it is yellow. Isabellas always will stay on the white gold side of palomino.

Well, for one thing, .... most people forget about this....but if there is white on the leg, the hoof will be white also. I can't see the other hooves, but that left rear does look white. What are the hoof colors?

Mona, I'm NO color 'expert', but I'd about bet on pale (isabella)palomino pinto. I've seen several horses whose skin never darkened past what I call 'dusky pink'...sort of an 'in-between' pink and dark. I had a friend who bred a QH mare, don't remember whether she was a dun or a buckskin, but one or the other--to a palomino, got a horse with this 'glowing' color(reminded me of pics I've seen of some Akal Tekes, which I understand are Champaignes(SP?), but I don't think that was a possible w/ these two, as neither was one), and dusky pink skin, light brown eyes, as I recall...this was some years ago, AQHA wouldn't even register him(they were IDIOTS about color and patterned horses, for SO many years; think much has finally changed?!) I have since heard of horses like that now allowed to be registered!

I have a horse who is now a fully sabino-roaned silver-black(from end to end, including M/T, he has a 'mix' of grey, white and black hairs. He has a bald face w/white on the lower lip, a sock on one hind, high stocking on the other, white 'spots' on two legs, unconnected to any other area--all classic sabino signs. When he was foaled, he was a pale 'tan' color. You could tell he had the bald face, but there was NO sign whatsoever of leg markings, period...I even clipped his legs to check, but NOTHING...only when he got well up in months was there ANY hint he had the markings, and I eventually had to submit photos to correct both his color AND most of his markings!

Whatever color yours(or the lucky new owner's, that is) is, he IS a NICE looking colt!

Margo

OMG
default_wub.png
that colt is just to cute !
default_wub.png

Well I would say that its a light palomino just by the pic but i dont know is it possible it got the creme and the silver gene and could be a silver palomino ?

Minis and there color always keep you guessing!!!

that mare has blue eyes I would say she carries the LWO gene and that colt it looks like he has blue eyes too

i think that one leg is white and yeah look at the hoofs his white legs will have white hoofs the other will be dark ( if he has a partial colored hoof then he has a partial white sock or coronet band or a small spot on the coronet somewhere)

He looks to me like he does have a blaze that goes just under his eyes on the nose.

Best way to find out clip his head and get him wet and see what happens !

But like i say there is not bad color for a good horse and he is a good lookin lil fella ! they are some super lucky people and I bet your doin the DUHOO why did i do that slappin the forehead
default_wacko.png

I don't think he's max white......I do think he's absolutely gorgeous!!
default_wub.png
Congratulations to you for breeding him...and to his new owners that now have a fantastic colt!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

I would also say pale palomino. How old is he now?

My chestnut colt was born with very pink skin this year, and it's taking forever to turn dark. I thought in the past the pink has turned dark within a couple days, but with this colt it's taking much longer than that. He also has very light eyes--I would have said they are the eyes of a dilute, but since he's chestnut he cannot be hiding any dilute gene, so the eyes have to be something else.

Thanks everyone! As for the white hooves, that is nothig to count on until the foal is older. So many are born with white hooves that don;t turn black/stay white until the hoof grown out.

I noticed yesterday that his pigment does seem to be getting a tad darker, so maybe he just needed some sunshine to help speed up the process. I have had them in pretty much since he was born due to inclement weather. he was born on May 14, so is now just one week old today. And yes, he certainly can carry silver too.

Back