Ozark Mtn Georgia Girl

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_crybaby.gif
I'm so sorry you lost her...{{{{HUGS}}}}

So very, very sorry!

What a terrible thing to have to think about....forever.

You are very good to share the results....I likely would have not done so, and then the rest of us could face a similar issue unknowingly.

Thank you, that's the beauty of this forum, people like you.

Lisa I am so so so sorry. It is just not fair.

I am glad you posted this because it is very important.

I have the same exact thing going on here. The grass is loaded with moisture in the ground from over saturation. The horses go way out in the back field and forget, or don't bother to come back to the fenceline for a drink. I've been having to round them up and chase them back out of the field every day now because they don't want to come, they are loving the grass to much. Once they do come back, they are drinking like crazy and this I know is dangerous. I'm about to shut them off from that field because I don't know what else to do.

My condolences on your beautiful girl. Rest In Peace Georgia Girl.......

so sorry to hear you lost your girl. She knew she was well loved and thats what counts.
default_smile.png

(((HUGS)))

Lisa I am so sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif
She looked like a beautiful and special girl. I'm glad you had the last night just to love on her.....but I'm in tears as I know you are.

I had always thought that when the grass was saturated with water like that that they were naturally getting enough water. I went on a pack trip once and mentioned to the guide that the horses didn't drink much water and he said it was because there was plenty in the grass. Thank you so much for sharing the autopsy results.

Sorry to read about your mare Lisa. You and you vet (and your lovely mare) gave it your best shot but it was not to be.

R.I.P. Ozark Mtn Georgia Girl

In all of the years I have had horses - this is a first for me. I really expected something like a hay string or bark or something. This is the first time I have ever had a horse go to the vet for colic - of course we have had mild cases (banamine the wonder drug fixed those).

We bring the horses up twice a day to feed them (she was in with the broodmares and babies). There is two big water tubs next to where we feed (they can get to those anytime during the day very easily). Plus they are only on an 8 acre field.

Who knows why she did not drink. We surmise that there was just enough water in the grass to keep her from being thirsty but not enough to keep her gut moving. The broodmares, of course, suck down the water so I am not worried about them.

It is important that we realize this can be a problem. Monitor your horses and make sure that you have given them all the opportunities to drink that you can. My vet insists that this is really really rare. I am sure that you all know that a horses "plumbing" is really badly designed and sometimes things just happen.

Thanks for all your replies and prayers - it is amazing how much they help.

Lisa

Last edited by a moderator:
Lisa

So very sorry to hear of the loss of Georgia Girl. You did everything you could, but like you said, sometime that just is not enough.

Hugs dear friend, you have some special memories and she knew she was loved until the very end and she knew you would do all you could.

lisa----i am so sorry! i can feel your pain as real as when i went thru it with a yearling filly i had--so sorry for your heartbreak! jennifer

I am so sorry for the loss of this special mare. I am sending you my biggest hugs right now. Rest in peace Georgia Girl knowing you are very loved.

Lisa, thank you for sharing the report with us. This will make other people aware that as rare as it ay be...things can still happen. I am so sorry that you lost her. My heart is breaking for you.

Lisa, I'm so sorry to read of the loss of your Georgia Girl. What a sad situation. My heart breaks for you.

Rita

I am so sorry for you. Last year in June, I lost a "heart" filly. Actually she was a 5 year old mare that I had had since she was foaled. I kept putting off breeding her just cause. We had bred her the month before and she was in foal. She suffered all day, the vet gave her so many lactated ringers I felt she had drowned. Each time a new bag was attached, she fussed. He would not palp her, said his hands were too large. I have not spoken to that vet since. I know that she may have died no matter what, but for some reason, my mind still blames him. If he thought it was so serious, then I would rather he put her down right then instead of allowing her to suffer so. I have been in the horse business for many many years and I know that horses do die of colic, but for this particular filly who I loved, and we were so specially connected to each other, I just can't accept it, to this day. I wish for you peace and my heart goes out to you.

Latest posts

Back