Ozark Mtn Georgia Girl

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LisaB Ozark

Reaction score
I just knew that the results were going to be something terrible - something that I could have prevented.

Basically this mare did not drink enough to go with all of the grass she ate. She had 8-10 feet of green grass blockage. There was absolutely nothing we could have done. She ate herself to death.

I am incredibly anal about water for all of my horses. All tanks are cleaned and filled daily. The horses have free choice salt and minerals and on fridays they get salt and minerals in their grain.

So here is the kicker - we have had a lot of rain this year and the grass is damp so apparently the horses do not have the need to drink - like they should. There is nothing anyone could do. The old adage - you can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink is certainly true in this situation.

It is so sad. I spent the night with this mare - we walked in the moonlight, grazed a little and cuddled a little. Then she would head back to the stall where she wanted to drink - it was like she knew she screwed up and should have been drinking more. We would stay in the stall and I would rub her all over and then she would put her butt towards me and I would rub and scratch it - she loved that. Then she would turn around and have her head rubbed and she loved to give kisses. I got lots of kisses last night. We did that all night - I wish it would have been enough.

Sometimes even when you do everything right - things still happen. Now I have to just accept that. To all of you that have been in the same situation - god bless you !!!! It is awfully hard to accept.

Thanks for all of the prayers - you are an awesome group !!!

Lisa

I am so sorry for your loss. It really stinks when you do everything in your power to keep them safe and they still find trouble. I've been there.

Sending lots of hugs your way.

((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))

That's all I can really say.
default_sad.png
Most of us who have had horses for any length of time have been there, to our sorrow. I'm sorry it had to happen to such a special horse. At least she certainly knew she was loved!

Leia

Lisa, I am so very sorry for your loss. You did all you could...sometimes God and/or Nature has different plans. I am so glad that you were able to spend such a special last night together, exchanging the love you shared with one another. (((HUGS)))

*tears*

I am so sorry for your loss!
default_sad.png
That's such a sad thing to have to go through.

Lisa I'm SO very sorry you lost your sweet girl!
default_crybaby.gif

She knew she was loved.

We lost a filly like that last year and it really hurts.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

I am terribly sorry to read about your loss. That is so frustrating.
default_no.gif

Aw, I'm sure that is frustrating. I was hoping she'd pull through for you.

default_no.gif
Oh......... I'm SO SORRY!!!!!!!!!! How horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm SO sorry for your loss........

Lisa I'm so sorry.....sometimes all we can do just isn't enough.

Jan

Latest posts

Back