Oxytocin

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGStables

Reaction score
My vet gave me Oxytocin for my mare bc shes cycling wierd. The dose is the same they give a big horse. Should I give it or less?

If he/she said how much to use, then do so.

When I had to use it earlier this yr cause my mares foal got stuck and died in her, after removing the foal, my vet gave me the same stuff at 1mm (cc) every 1/2 hr. Then 2mm (cc) every 1/2 hr AFTER 3 hrs later if her plecenta still was'nt coming out.

Good luck!

Oxy will not help a mare's cycle whatsoever. All it does is cause smooth muscle contraction. Its commonly used to push fluid out of the uterus.

If the doc said use the same as a big horse, then use it
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The bottle should tell you the drug and dose. If not call the Vet.

Dr Taylor.

I would re-check with your vet, just to be sure.

My vet labels EVERYTHING, including what is in a syringe. Dont understand why they gave you this drug for a horse not cycling right. Perhaps give them a call to double check the dose and ask their thoughts on why oxytocin?

I too would question why Oxytocin. Regumate is what is usually used to regulate cycles (and it would be more than one dose); but perhaps your vet has another reason for giving the Oxy? But yes, most of the time mini's get the same dose of drugs and vaccines as the big horses.

The oxytocin might be the correct treatment, but it is obvious there is a communication error between you and your Vet. Get that cleared up before you give anything and likely the communication will be better in the future.

Dr. Taylor.

Latest posts

Back