Overdue mare to Foal any day now

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christina_ski

Reaction score
We have been watching this mare like a hawk since saturday. The past 2 nights (tuesday and wednesday) she has been laying down but not flat, so I thought she was getting really close. Plus she had alot of other signs.

Yesterday I brought her in around 3:30pm because it was getting cold out and I didn't want her to have the baby outside. I tested her Ph and Hardness. She was testing at 6.4 and 1000 hardness, and she had skim to white milk. I figured we have to have this baby tonight. Put her in the stall, turn the cam on, get her hay and grain and leave her alone the rest of the day. 10:30pm and she is sweating all over, lip curling and yawning, loose to the point she has trouble walking and lifting her tail, restless, we can see her tummy moving and she dropped and had a definate "V" shape to her. She would pick at her hay (she didn't eat her grain which is very strange for her) walk into the middle of the stall and lay down, look at her stomach, kick at her stomach, she would not lay flat. After a few min she would lay flat. And she never closed her eyes or acted sleepy. Around 2:00 she was acting not normal, but not doing any signs either, she just ate her hay and then stood in the middle of the stall and fell asleep.

I went to bed at 4:30. Got up, Checked her at 9am. She looks normal. She is no longer as dropped. She is no longer real loose, her tail and croup are, but her vulva is not real tight but not as loose as it was. Check her bag, it is HUGE. Tight, hot, and hard. I milked her and checked, she is looking like skim milk. I re-tested her Ph and Hardness. She is testing 6.4ph if not a little below, and 1000 hardness still. She is staying inside today because of the weather.

Should I be worried? She is still acting normal other then not eating her grain (but she still will pick at it but not woof it down like she normally does), am I just over excited about this foal and I am impatient (this is our very first foal from our stallion)? This is the mares second foal, her first one all she did was drip milk that afternoon, and she had that baby outside at 10:30pm (but that was in of May 2006) Oh and the first foal was overdue also.

Any Help appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Christina,

I don't think you have any reason to be concerned at this point. Sounds like she thought it was going to happen last night too, and it didn't. She does sound ready and it could be anytime. Don't take your eyes off of her!
default_smile.png

Going to agree with Becky, sounds like it could be any minute now.. The fact that she's lost the V tells me baby is back in position and shifting up for delivery.. Same thing happened to my app girl last year, had a really low V shape, she 'lost it' and about 8-12 hours later she foaled.. Seems like there's quite a few mares going over this year.. My friend just had a paint baby last night and the mare I believe was just shy of a year gestation
default_wacko.png

Christina,

I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that she is going to have the baby today or tonight. It sure sounds like she can not go much longer and the fact that she is not eating, a very good sign.

You will have to let us know what she has!!

I will be bringing in my first tonight as she has a bag now and the fluid is sticky. That is from last night not being able to get any fluid. Her bag is filling fast too. Of course I will probably be watching her for days. But too cold to leave her out at night now, just incase.

Good luck!!

Well 3:45 this afternoon she tested 1000 on hardness, wayyy below 6.4ph, has white milk, a huge hot hard bag, waxed, very loose, scarlet color on the inside of her vulva.

She in under the camera now and is acting restless, eating hay (still has not touched her grain), stands resting in the middle (she doesn't shut her eyes) she has been biting at her stomach, lip curling, yawning, and has layed down and rolled 6-7 times (layed down 3 times, first time rolled twice, second time 5 times, 3 time didn't roll) She is drinking. Peeing and pooping small amounts frequently, and just looks uncomfortable.

She seems to know where the camera is, because a few minutes ago she looked right at it and flipped her lip up and looked like she was smiling, as if to say only when you aren't looking will this baby come out lol
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Hopefully we will have a baby tonight, it is still pretty early.
default_saludando.gif
default_saludando.gif

Best of luck! I hope it is tonight!

Still no baby. She still looks uncomfortable. She still has white milk and she tested still that she is ready to go this morning. I hope this baby comes soon. Her appetite seems like is coming back though but still not her normal self.

I don't want to be a spoil sport here BUT.....the laying & rolling brings me to the thought that the foal is not fully in position and she is trying to help get it there.

She's sounding ready and personally, I believe she's holding back for above reason. So, stay close! Could be close to or only minimally out of position but, in all my years of foaling, this has been a pre-warning of some amount of help needed. She may get it where needed, may not.......I'd sure be on FULL alert. Know you didn't want to hear this....with all but one of mine like this, it's been minor and I was able to resolve.

Praying for only the BEST outcome.
default_wub.png

I do agree with Bess, here. Rolling has never been a good sign and any mare I have had that rolled going into labor has always meant a dystocia. Most have required vet assistance for delivery. There's nothing you can do at this point but wait and watch. I would sure have my vet on speed dial and be ready to call in case you need him/her.

Having said that, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your mare delivers a healthy foal with no problems.

Keep us posted.

SHE FOALED SHE FOALED SHE FOALED!!!!

We had the vet come out and check her to make sure the foal was ok, since she was dripping milk and still hadn't acted like she was going to have it.

He reached in her and felt her cervix and said the baby was fine and everything, just said she wasn't ready. And she would foal on tuesday, well....

Chi Chi had other plans... 5 min after the vet let I went to check on her, she was sweating from head to toe, So i left her alone thinking she was just stressed from the vet visit. Go to watch her camera, she is laying down pushing. And then i see her water break!!!

We got to see the whole thing in person, and the baby is just fine. Black pinto filly!! She was trying to stand up as soon as she was out! She is active and running and bucking around the stall already. Poor Momma lol. Will have to post some pics later as I want to go and play with her some more!

Pics soon!

Congrats on your new baby!! Isn't it just like them to cost money and then do what they are supposed to do.

Glad everything turned out well for you and your mare. Congrats on the new foal!!!

Congratulations, Christina!
default_aktion033.gif
That's just what we like to hear. Easy deliveries! Looking forward to seeing those pics!

Here are some pics, will get some more later once she is dried out and unfolded a little more. Mom is an appy, dad is black pinto. As she is drying off it looks like she will grey out like mom, but we had one that looked like that last year with a mixed grey tail and everything, and she is a yearling now and Jet Black!! She has some mottling on her privates but not much. Still no name yet, we will have to think of one tonight. She is sooo full of attitude and is running, bucking and rearing up at momma. She is nursing really well also. Her only real problem was its a bit cold tonight so needed a blanket. Luckily we had one that would fit her. She is HUGE!!! Mom is 37.25" and dad is only 32". Looks like she will get Moms height lol.

58435Hawks_Filly.JPG

58435Baby2.JPG

58435Baby1.JPG

Latest posts

Back