Overcheck bits

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMR

Reaction score
How do you decide which overcheck bit to use? I had no idea there were so many options. I have seen the plain mullen mouth (straight bar), a U-shaped molded bit, a leather bit, a twisted wire (absolutely not
default_wacko.png
), and I have seen some even use a linked chain (looked like a curb chain to me). I understand in regular driving bits each style has a different purpose due to movement with the reins. Can anyone tell me the different purposes of all these different overcheck bits? Is there a good book that explains all of this...I have several driving books, but none go into this.

Thanks,

Donna

Overcheck bits are not commonly used with miniatures, mostly because their mouths can be too small to support two bits between the bars.

Personally, with sidecheck bits especially, I don't usually find a need to use a separate bit. You CAN hook your check (either side or over) directly to the perch of the driving bit or onto a snaffle ring.

Separate check bits are useful for horses that have trouble keeping their heads up, and separate check bits are almost ALWAYS used exclusively for horses that are checked up super high/hard (usually show ring only). They allow the horse to not have confusion between the operation of the check bit and the driving bit, as the check can interfere with the operation and mechanics of a driving bit if the horse is checked up very high (it pulls on the bit differently than if the driving bit was laying in the mouth.)

Some horses need more severe overcheck bits if they lean hard on the check. The most severe would probably be the twisted wire ones you saw. The least severe ones tend to be the mullen type ones, or the leather ones, but remember the bits are very slender like a bradoon and most are fairly "harsh" but it is only the horse itself that applies any pressure and not really the driver's hand. If you do use a severe one it is extremely important that you properly condition the horse's neck muscles to carry the head and neck that high, otherwise it is unfair to ask the horse to work in such extreme discomfort.

If you have a horse or mini with a very small mouth that may not be able to support two bits, you can consider using some black shoelace or cord. I prefer a strong cord, as it is a little less thin and severe than a shoelace, but again it totally depends on your horse and how it is trained.

Like any bit, you will find your horse will prefer or work better in one bit or another.

I hope this helps any,

Andrea

If a horse is heavy on its front end, wouldn't using an overcheck help lighten them up. I understand, of course, that they must be trained very slowly in the check to build the muscles needed. My thought was after they built themselves up, you then wouldn't need to use the check as they would have a better frame. Is my thinking on this wrong? If not, then if there is room , then would the mullen be best.

Last edited by a moderator:
An overcheck can only do so much to help a horse that moves downhill or is heavy on the forehand. Remember, you are enhancing the horse's natural talent and ability, not trying to overcome it's faults. By checking up a horse that is heavy on the forehand you will have to go very slowly to help the horse work against itself and improve the way it naturally goes. I don't think that the style of overcheck will help much, the overchecks shouldn't punish the horse for what it is, it should remind the horse in a more subtle way. (I don't know if that came out right... the harsher overchecks should be used on a horse that PURPOSEFULLY leans on the bit, not one that is BUILT to lean on the bit... maybe that is worded better...)

Andrea

A horse that is heavy on the forehand would best be trained to be lighter on his front end (to the best of his ability)...using an overcheck for this purpose would be more forcing him to raise his head rather than training him anything.

As far as which bit to use, a harness trainer/clinician once told me that if you're using a jointed snaffle then you should use a mullen mouth check bit, and if you are using a mullen mouth bit then the check bit should be a jointed one. Otherwise I've never had anyone tell me anything different, and since I never bother using a check bit I've never bothered to ask anyone else about it either.

I have a gelding who started leaning on the bit a little. I got the leather overcheck bit from Ozark and really like it. It conforms to their mouth and the horse I used it on was not at all fussy with it. I've tried the jointed ones, braided shoelaces and the solid overcheck bits, but I really liked the leather one from Ozark. It gently reminded him that leaning on the bit wasn't going to work and I've since taken the check bit out and he's been great. If he starts leaning again, I'll put it back in as a reminder.

I found the leather check bit from Ozark was well worth the $10 and conformed quickly to his mouth.

Jen

Latest posts

Back