Bit Thingie??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stripe13

Reaction score
ok, call me dumb but I've always wanted to know why many driving bits have the extra piece of metal coming off the ring where you attach the reins?? I’ve always driven with snaffles that looked like this, however I haven’t seen a reason why this is there. Is there a specific reason these bits have this or is it a stylistic reason?

Thank you in advance for answering this possibly dumb question XD

Also I wanted to know what types of bits (or none) you drive in? Why do you use these types of bits?

I think that's a half cheek snaffle, a full cheek has the 'bit thingie' above too. As far as I know it's to keep the bit from pulling through their mouth. Completely uneducated about driving, that's just from riding big horses.

They keep the bit from pulling through. I have started to get away from them and bought a french link without the half-cheek. I don't like half cheeks and I have had interesting experiences of them getting "hooked" on things. I realize that having them get hooked is probably "operator error" and it's my responsibility to have a horse that does not rub or fuss, but horses are horses and things happen. I also learned the hard way to NEVER lean over a harnessed horse to adjust something on the other side. The overcheck hook is just the right height to snag a belt loop. That's my PSA of the Day :)

Latest posts

Back