Our New Project!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camelotcavs

Reaction score
default_risa8.gif
I am so excited I could just bust!!!!
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif

My Husband and our family are very fortunate to not rely on the auto industry for income and to own our own home free and clear. The only problem is that our home is in the city limits and I keep our minis on my property out of town with the big horses boarded at the fairgrounds. Although this is a small town and the minis are only a mile to the west and the fairgrounds a mile to the north - it is just not very convenient.

As most of you know the economy in Michigan is just horrible and the number of foreclosed properties is very high. We have been looking for a while now, but between my Husband and I we are picky about what we want. Following are the top four requirements:

1. I have to have at least 2 acres, but prefer more.

2. We wanted off a main road but had to be within one mile of a state road so Hubby can bring the semi home.

3. We must be able to pay cash for it.

4. We both love old farm houses and prefer one to all the modulars that are available.

We found one we loved about two months ago - it actually started as a joke because the listing price was so low. Of course the place needs to be gutted and there are some barns that are coming down but we just got the call and our ridiculously low offer was accepted!!!!!!!! (They had it listed for $39,900 but we got it for 16,500)

There is so much potential with this place and my horses will be in my back yard and I love it!!!!
default_488.gif

I know this probably doesn't make any sense but I am so happy!!

.... shoot can't post pics cause photobucket is down - but will soon.

default_488.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_risa8.gif

WOW!!!!! Congratulations how exciting!!!!! You better post pics! I too love old homes!
default_aktion033.gif

Congratulations!! I'm so happy for y'all!!!

Here are a couple pics:

Property has a circle drive and this photo is looking at the side of the house. Where the brown siding is we are literally "raising the roof" so I can have high ceilings in the kitchen.

house1.jpg

Here is the barn we are going to save and use for hay storage because Hubby is putting up a new pole barn for the horses!!!!!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

horseb2.jpg

And one pic of the inside (we are saving the old woodwork):

dr3orb.jpg

Did I say I am HAPPY?????????

I am so excited for you!

I am glad you found what you want and with a fixer-upper you get to choose what you want!! $16,500 is a steal for anything nowadays!

Will you keep the front porch? I love that!!

How many acres?

I like that old barn , it has class.. I'm glad your keeping it even for hay storage...

I want to see pictures along the way of this masterpiece...
default_yes.gif

Thank you everyone!

We never thought the mortgage company would accept that offer and are thrilled to get it so low. This means we can put an additional $20,000 into the remodeling than we had planned.

We have almost three acres with this and the neighboring farmer will sell us a little more.

We are definitely keeping the front porch (but that huge tree has got to go) and are thinking about wrapping it around the side.

There are five bedrooms - two down and three up. We are changing that to a master suite down and two bedrooms up with the other upstairs bedroom a half bath/closet/stack washer and dryer area.

Upstairs bedrooms are so much larger than I expected. (My daughter's friend would kill me if she saw this photo) this is the upstairs bedroom that you can see the window in the first photo. That woodstove pipe is not staying. Hubby mentioned putting a door and balcony where the window is, but I'm not sure about that.

rightbr.jpg

The first barn is only about 21' x 34' and we could have made it work for all the horses, but with the huge savings on the purchase price I can have my new pole barn. Hubby says he wants me to have the barn of my dreams!!! What a guy!!
default_wub.png

Here is the only other "barn" we are saving on the property - talk about cute...

hip.jpg

ok, now tell me where to find a nice piece of property that cheap. I can't find anything where we are, but I'd move to the US to have my cottage lol. No really where did you find that. Are there anymore listings like that around???

ok, now tell me where to find a nice piece of property that cheap. I can't find anything where we are, but I'd move to the US to have my cottage lol. No really where did you find that. Are there anymore listings like that around???

There are so many foreclosed on properties around here it is scary - I can find you several.

There is another property in Northern Michigan that was our next choice but also needs a lot of work.

It is in the middle of no where (literally between Podunk, MI and Last Hope, MI), 10 acres, house and barn needs work and it has been on the market for quite a while. They are asking $49,900 but it will sell for less.

Here is the link to pics and info:

Home on 10 acres

Latest posts

Back