Our last Ice Man baby of the year

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimor

Reaction score
Our Sherry mare has been just hanging out the last couple weeks, always looking the same. Her due date was April 28 and I had expected her to go a bit before that, as with her first two foals she went at about 310 days. Her '04 pregnancy didn't go well, due to an iodine deficiency--the foal was a bit slow to be born, & died shortly after birth without ever getting up. We were sure we had Sherry's system all straightened out long ago, but after she lost that last one (she wasn't bred for '05) when she got to her due date & nothing was happening we were starting to worry.

Last night her bag seemed a little firmer but still wasn't full. I checked on her at 6:30 this morning & her nipples were full, but everything else looked exactly the same as it has for the past 2 weeks. No wax, but then this mare can progress very fast without any waxing ahead of foaling....I told Mom that I wished Sherry would foal today & be done with it, then I don't have to check on her at night, & I don't have to be up an hour or two with her & her foal if she foals in the night like the two mares last week. Ha. Mom called me at work at 9:15 to say I got my wish. When she went out to feed horses after I left for work, the baby was here. He was up and had nursed--if I'd gone back out before I left at 7:30 he was probably there then. Heck, Sherry probably laid down & popped him out 5 minutes after I checked her at 6:30! :lol:

Anyway, this boy is strong & healthy, Mom had trouble hanging on to him to get iodine on his navel.

IMG_0769a.jpg

Img_0771.jpg

These aren't great pix, but it's raining here & Sherry is keeping him in the shed today. I'll get more in a day or two!

Meanwhile, here's our Irish Mist, my little dollbaby. These were taken yesterday, at 3 1/2 days old. I'd hoped for action photos, but she was sleepy so these are all I got!

Img_0752.jpg

Img_0768.jpg

I have this feeling we won't be offering any Ice Man babies for sale again this year.
default_unsure.png
:

Oh my gosh, Irish Mist looks a lot like our new colt,......ours was just born Sat morning & he was strong & had night straight legs...and he has attitude to spare....yikes, is he going to be a spit fire. Still don't have a registered name for him, but we keep calling him Rascal for a barn name, but it's actually too nice, he is much rowdier than that...but my parents have a Rowdy, so we can't go down that road...haha.

Your foals are both just lovely, congrats. :aktion033:

Last edited by a moderator:
OOH I love both the colt and filly ! yay for Iceman and Mommas!
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

Very nice babies! Congratulations Holly! You know you are going to have to put some of that IceMan stuff up for sale sooner or later - I keep watching for them!!!

Latest posts

Back