Our First New Foal of the Season!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grullo/Grulla is a dun.........a black dun. She's adorable!

I would throw out that she is either a black dun (grulla) or a silver dun. Time will tell!

MA

You've gotten great advice on the color, so I just wanted to say she's adorable!
default_wub.png
:

What color is the sire? You said, "Dad is a Champagne carrying Cream, Agouti, and red (has been tested)." That discripton doesn't really indicate that he is black based. Did you mean that he was a black based Champagne, who was tested as Ee, having one black and one red gene, as well as Cream and Agouti? If so, would that make the sire an Amber Champagne Buckskin who is not homozygous for black?

As for the foal's color, I would have a couple of possibilities (foal coats can be deceptive). It looks like her eyes are dark, so I'm going to rule out the possibility of the Champagne dilution. However, the foal coat looks like she could have Cream or Silver going on. She definitely appears to be black based dilute of some kind. The tips of her ears currently are dark, so that makes me think of either dun or agouti at work, but since her body does not have a reddish tone, I'm going to rule out Agouti as the cause.

So, my best guesses would be: grullo (black +dun) or a smokey grullo (black + dun + cream) or silver grullo (black + dun + silver) or smokey silver grullo (black + dun + cream + silver). OR, the dorsal and dark tipped ears may end up just being foal 'camouflage' and there is no Dun dilution at work. If that's the case, then I would go with the above diluted colors, just minus the Dun factor: smokey black, silver, or smokey silver.

Will you be testing her soon for cream or silver?

Thanks again, she really is a mystery to me, probably as I simply wasn't expecting this colour to pop up :bgrin

Did you mean that he was a black based Champagne, who was tested as Ee, having one black and one red gene, as well as Cream and Agouti? If so, would that make the sire an Amber Champagne Buckskin who is not homozygous for black?
That's correct, you can see him here http://www.bluegables.co.nz/records.db/app...233&usc=180 (I can post links but not pics, right?) I have seen him up close, he is fairly true to these pics. He could easily be carrying both dun and silver.

I guess I will have to test her fairly soon, then I may just test her dam for silver. Wish there was a dun test - hopefully not too far away.
default_smile.png

Ah the joys of colour! :eek: :bgrin

How exciting for you to have such a beautiful new little girl!

Her mommy looks tired out after all that hard work. LOL I bet the both of you would love a nice bubble bath now!LOL

Congrats!!!

Sincerely,

Va Lynda Ann

Latest posts

Back