Our First New Foal of the Season!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiccanz

Reaction score
:aktion033: Yay!!

At 310 days, arrived after an hour of hard slog, with me desparately pulling and thinking it may already be dead
default_sad.png

She's a wee filly, 19" approx, but what colour remains a mystery!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

As you can see, mum is chestnut, has a dorsal but has no dun parentage.

Dad is a Champagne carrying Cream, Agouti, and red (has been tested).

So what colour is this little darling???

Our first guess is buckskin, but in shades of brown!
default_wacko.png
: :eek: My instinct says silver buckskin, which would mean someone is hiding silver. She has a nice dorsal stripe, but nothing else at this stage.

Any ideas???

TaziesBaby4.jpg

TaziesBaby5.jpg

TaziesBaby8.jpg

TaziesBaby9.jpg

ETA Sire's dam is Champagne, sire's sire is listed as Grullo...looks similar to this foal.

Dam's dam is bay, dam's sire is sorrel, believed to be carrying silver but I don't think he was tested

Last edited by a moderator:
what ever colour she is she looks gorgeous!!!
default_wub.png
: congrats on a lovely filly :aktion033:

she looks the same colour as Max hes a silver dun has the big dorsal and that lovely smokey blue colour

What a little sweetie! Congratulations!! I'm glad you were there to help :aktion033:

Congratulations on your new girl! I would also say grulla (as her head looks darker than her body), but maybe silver dapple dun is also possible? She's a cutie, that's for sure!

Silver black/dapple, if mom is true dun she could be silver-dun but silver for sure.

Lot´s of foals have fake dorsals and lot´s of silvers do too.

I saw that the sires dam is listed as grulla, so maybe he has dun too.

:aktion033: CONGRATULATIONS!! :aktion033:

I do not know what color she is.......

but I do know she is an absolute darling!!!

Congratulations! I'm so glad to hear all is well after such a long time of hard work. Been there done that
default_wink.png
: Whew!

I'm no color expert, but I would say she is definately a silver of some kind. Her mama could be hiding the silver gene as it often hides in the chestnuts and sorrels. She's a pretty little thing whatever color!!
default_yes.gif
:

Jumped all the answers so apologies if this has been said.

Foal looks Silver Grulla to me- in the first picture she looks Silver in the last she looks Grulla.

More pictures of Mama- she is probably Red Dun- or possibly it has hidden in the sire???

Pretty filly, congratulations! I too think some shade of silver dun. I think it is also possible that the dam may be a red dun? She looks to have a darlker strip in her bridel path, at least as far as I can see. She is also that more "orangy" color that the red duns often are.

Thanks for your replies, here are some more pics from today, 24 hours into her life
default_wub.png
:

I would swear black & blue that mum is NOT dun - no dun parentage for one thing, no other signs than the dorsal, which she never had as a youngster (I have gone through old pics of her as a 3 yr old, no dorsal).

Dad is listed as having a grullo sire - I have seen pics of his sire and could see no dorsal stripe on him at all. I think many horses were listed as grullo/grulla if people couldn't decide what they were (the smokey black mare I used to own was listed as grulla with AMHA). What he looked like to me was a cream x silver mix - muddy :bgrin

However, both sire & dam have the possibility of carrying silver.

Will just be a wait & see I guess - but what do I reg her as??? :eek:

wisp1day1.jpg

wisp1day2.jpg

wisp1day3.jpg

BTW, there are no stripes on mum's legs - fold marks behind the knees, and scissor marks where I trimmed her 'feathers'. :bgrin

True bucksins don't have dorsal stripes, so she definitely isn't that. I would think Grullo or some kind of Dun too, in that last picture mom looks like a red dun.... so probably a dun.

It is very possible for a horse to be both buckskin and dun (bay + cream dilute + dun).

Latest posts

Back