Our first live foal for 2009

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzie

Reaction score
This is our first live foal for 2009. Her dam is a true blue roan and sire is cremello. A filly - very healthy-Silver Belle Farms Black Beauty.

I am not familiar with how blue roans look at birth. I assume she is smokey black but could she be a blue roan too?

blackBeauty7.jpg

BlackBeauty1.jpg

Congrats on your pretty girl! I'm not sure what she'll turn into later, but she looks black to me
default_smile.png

Congratulations on your new filly! Blue roans look pretty much the same as blacks when they are born, and in a short time, you should be able to part the hair on the butt to see the lighter roaning hairs mixed in there.

Really? That's neat! I've never had a blue roan baby before. Suzie, I hope you post more pics of her if she turns roany later! I love blue roans!

I plan to post more pics of her. I have two blue roans, a gelding with blue eyes and then this mare with dark eyes. I was really hoping for a nice blue eyed baby (got dark eyes)- but if she turns into a blue roan-that would be great!!! According to Animal Genetics color calculator we had a 16.67% chance of a Smoky Blue Roan and 16.67% chance of a Smoky Black. We had the same chances of Buckskin and Palomino- but I am 100% sure she is neither of those! LOL!

We have a lot of blue roans & she looks like she easily could be -- they look black when they are born with a bit of "silvering" on the tips of the hair. You will know for sure when you clip her -- but looks quite possible to me.

Congratulations on your foal! Here are a couple of pictures of our "blue" roan. This is what happens when you get too anxious and can't wait any longer. I clipped this small area on her rump when she was 2 weeks old.

MercuryClipSpot.jpg

Then, this is what she looked like when she started her first shedding. She is NOT Appy..solid black roan.

hq3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
She looks just like my blue roan did at birth! I really searched for white hairs when she was born, there was maybe 1 in her flank. But when she shed later in the summer she was blue!

Back