Our first ag show.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie.C

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have two miniature geldings and am taking them out to a show in March.

I'm after some tips and advice, it will be my first ag show with minis, one of them has never been shown the other once or twice. I'm not going to win but just to have fun but don't want me or my little guys to look out of place. So what will I need to do to prep them, a friend has offered to clip both for me but how long before the show do I clip.? One is a silver dappled taffy the other is a palomino tovero

Hi Katie , I always clipped my pally pinto about a week before a show to allow time to get some colour back (white hair newly clipped will show pink skin ) my silvers I usually do a couple of days before...depends on what colour you want them to be ) , the day before a show I would redo under the jaw line , the muzzle and fetlocks too. where you live(the weather temp) will make a difference to how quick the coat grows so do a practise clip 3-4 weeks before and note how long it takes for the coat to reach the stage you like it at , it also depends on what blade you use ,..obviously a shorter cut takes longer to grow

put some clear varnish on the hooves of the pally and dark varnish on the silver , buy some highlighter or use baby oil jel and smooth some above the eyes and around the muzzle , also put some on the manes to keep them slick

you can buy sprays that put a gloss on the coat too

make sure theyre not fat , do some lunging or jumping to get them toned up

thats just the basics ,most of all have fun and learn from the day

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add what Supaspot listed - make sure they are freshly bathed. All the tack should be polished and oiled, as should your boots
default_biggrin.png
Neat clean clothing on you will impress the judges more than illfitting or messy fancy clothing.

Not sure where you are from, but I got a laugh from Supaspots term "varnish", I've never heard hoof polish called that before! All I could think of was going to Home depot and buying a can of wood vanish. Dark Oak? It's funny that different words mean so many different things. She's right on about the clipping info.

Hi Katie

If they have never been clipped this season they really need to be clipped at least twice before the show. Usually after the first clip of the year they get "pig" hair that comes back in. After a couple clips it stops.

Best wishes!

Hi Katie

If they have never been clipped this season they really need to be clipped at least twice before the show. Usually after the first clip of the year they get "pig" hair that comes back in. After a couple clips it stops.

Best wishes!
Oh my goodness, I had wondered how all of you got rid of the pig hair! My mare seems to grow them overnight and it drives me crazy!!
new_shocked.gif
Now I know just to clip her again haha

I hope you will take before and after photos and share with us , good luck and enjoy the day

Pig hair is just the remainder of a winter coat. A clip when the summer coat is coming in will look nicer, so just depends on the time of year you clip.

Latest posts

Back