Our fire-ravaged friends in Texas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacy Score

Reaction score
Please, please check in with us all - I have been worring about all of those in the paths of the terrible fires in Northern Texas and Oklahoma. So if you know of someone or can update us on what is happening, please do so.

Thank you,

Stacy

My father-in-law called and said the fires were about 50 miles below us so far they have not come into Arkansas. We border Texas and Oklahoma.

There were fires all around the Oklahoma City area on Tuesday due to the strong winds and low humidity. We are in an extreme drought here too, so everything outside is bone dry!

No fires have been in my immediate area, but I am staying close to home watching and praying. I bought two new garden hoses yesterday and with the risk of more winds and high fire danger in the coming days, I am keeping hoses hooked up to all of my outside hydrants.

Two days ago they were burning all around this area...Oklahoma City. I don't know of any mini owners with losses, butThere sure a lot of folks who lost homes, many barns etc. You just know there were animals lost as this is a big 'horse area'.
sad.gif

There has been one human death. With some of the fires moving at 40mph even the fire fighters couldn't get ahead of them to create fire breaks. This gentleman was trying to save his family orchard, started running when the wind shifted and was overtaken.
sad.gif

Saturday night and Sunday are supposed to be bad conditions again. We don't leave home when conditions are bad.

I hope all of our mini friends are safe.

Charlotte

having been thru wildfires myself.. I know how scaryit can be everyone keep checking in here

Praying for everyone. We are under a burn ban here to and all fire departments are being run ragged. This isn't a good way to end the year.

Fires are way north to us, but there's always the possibility around here - especially with the dry pine trees!! I'm praying my neighbors use some common sense this year and forgo their usual firework display (that lands on my property!). It's not the grass I worry about but the dead pine needles on the ground.

My sister lives in Arlington and wrote Tuesday afternoon that there were

fires nearing them, but were about 2 miles away......They mostly

were suffering with the smoke.

One of the reports, we read, said they thought some of the fires

were started by fireworks over the Christmas holiday???~!!!!!

We were covered by clouds of smoke on Tuesday, but so far, the area has been okay. I have to go back to work on Wednesday and with no relief in sight, I will be very, very worried! No grass to burn, but plenty of pine trees. My husband was attempting to weld in the arena on Monday, and the sparks kept starting fires! It is a very, very scary situation, one we have no control over. The county was issuing statements regarding even starting cars in high grass.....I hope everyone uses their brains regarding fireworks on New Year's. Thank you for your concern.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you - please keep checking back in! Not fun sleeping with one eye open, but I am sure it is necessary - fire is so scary and it consumes evrything to fast.

Hugs to all

Stac

They've just started breaking into TV again this afternoon with reports of wildfires around the Oklahoma City area. The wind is picking up and no relief in sight. This is not a good way to bring in 2006!
no.gif

I am scared to death- I can see smoke often from my house. Sunday it was less than 20 miles away. Our fields are so dry.... there would be no time to get any of the horses out. Plus our fencing is post and board- so it will burn, too. And the barns.

At this point I'm thinking of putting halters on everyone with a business card attached to their halter or mane with their name on them, just in case I have to let them go.....
sad.gif

I already keep my important papers and stuff by the door in case I have to run. Plus a box by the guinea pig cages for them.

PLEASE pray for us. We need rain so badly.

Lucy

Please pray for the horses...5 horses in a pasture running fire closing in....helicopter report Please pray for the animals

If any of you are in the path of these fires, can you possibly till a wide area around your pastures or barns? To form some type of fire break........

I'd be looking to rake as much of the pine needles away as I could, also, if you have equipment to do so. It's scary for me and I'm not even there!
new_shocked.gif

And, the smoke can be horrid to breathe.

Keeping everyone in my prayers.

So sorry to read this! There is flooding in Northern California, and areas of the country are burning. How out of wack.

Please do keep checking in. We'll keep all of you in our thoughts/prayers.

Just heard on TV that a Quarter Horse training center just a few miles east of me lost a barn and 3 horses in it. So sad.....
no.gif

My daughter, Cammie, and I have been out soaking the ground around the house and barns. So far nothing heading this way but still too close.

I can't imagine it being that dry this time of year. We are having sooooo much rain...I'm so sorry for all of you having to be scared this time of year about fire.

Please stay safe.
pray.gif

My heart is aching for you all - please be safe. I think haltering and tagging all your horses is a good idea - I know that when a fire threatened our house a couple of years ago I was out of my mind with worry, but also know that I would have tagged and haltered all my "kids" if needed to let them run.

Again, my prayers are with you all - please keep checking in.

Stacy

Latest posts

Back