Our Baby is Here....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suen

Reaction score
This is such a great forum.... packed with all kinds of information, videos, comments, real emergencys and solutions. I read, watched every video, and looked at every comment and link on this web site I could get my hands on to make sure I knew what to do in case of problems when our mare foaled. I was a nervous wreck and scared to death.....

Our mare foaled on day 305...... thought two days before she had it that she was in labor..rolling, pawing, layind down and getting up, swishing tail, cow patties. Full bag, no waxing, no milk. This is a mare I bought two months ago and she has always waxed and had milk before having the foal. I put her in the stall and it wasn't 10 miniutes later she was in full labor. Two feet and head presented, but the one foot was was back by the ears and the other stretched out in front, and after a few minutes with the foal not advancing, I did go in and pull the other leg into position, and the labor went fast after that. I don't know if i panicked and she might have been ok doing it on her own, but I felt comfortable in knowing what I was looking for when I went in, and feel like I might have averted a problem. If I hadn't had the resources here I don't know if I would have been brave enough or smart enough to know what to do.

We have a fantastic little girl, she is quite the little spitfire so far. Two days old today and going strong! So, thank you again everyone.... Keep up the good work for all of us "amatuer" breeders.

I use mine from facebook too! Open the picture, right click on it, select "properties" and then copy the URL from there then take and post a reply on her (or modify your original post) and click the little "picture" button and insert the URL there by pasting it and hit enter and it will show up =)

Congrats! now when people say they go "in" I know it means feeling inside their "area" but how far do you go in to know what the positon is? How far is too far? Never have done this

I didn't have to go in very far, somewhat past the wrist, maybe a tad bit more, but not to the elbow. Just enough to follow the leg and see where it was caught. The leg was hooked back and once I got the elbow part slid up, the leg came loose and that was it. i was surprised how easy it was to follow the leg, maybe because I knew what I was looking for. The best thing is to watch all the foaling videos you can.

Congrats! now when people say they go "in" I know it means feeling inside their "area" but how far do you go in to know what the positon is? How far is too far? Never have done this

Thank you for helping your mare!
default_yes.gif
Your foal might have been born ok after an extra long struggle from your mare. I say this for others reading.
default_smile.png
Many foals are lost from people sitting back and watching when they could be saved by just a little help! So GOOD JOB! Congrats on your baby girl!

Everyone should read Blessed Are The Broodmares
default_yes.gif

Awesome and glad you were there to help!!! Congrats on your new baby! It's so exciting!

Congratulations on your new filly. You must be tickled pink. I soooooo agree with you about this site. I have met so many experienced nice people here, all willing to help. There is information on everything.

Three cheers for L'il Beginnings. hip hip hurray

Now pics please

This is such a great forum.... packed with all kinds of information, videos, comments, real emergencys and solutions. I read, watched every video, and looked at every comment and link on this web site I could get my hands on to make sure I knew what to do in case of problems when our mare foaled. I was a nervous wreck and scared to death.....

Our mare foaled on day 305...... thought two days before she had it that she was in labor..rolling, pawing, layind down and getting up, swishing tail, cow patties. Full bag, no waxing, no milk. This is a mare I bought two months ago and she has always waxed and had milk before having the foal. I put her in the stall and it wasn't 10 miniutes later she was in full labor. Two feet and head presented, but the one foot was was back by the ears and the other stretched out in front, and after a few minutes with the foal not advancing, I did go in and pull the other leg into position, and the labor went fast after that. I don't know if i panicked and she might have been ok doing it on her own, but I felt comfortable in knowing what I was looking for when I went in, and feel like I might have averted a problem. If I hadn't had the resources here I don't know if I would have been brave enough or smart enough to know what to do.

We have a fantastic little girl, she is quite the little spitfire so far. Two days old today and going strong! So, thank you again everyone.... Keep up the good work for all of us "amatuer" breeders.

Congratulations and good job...

Often just a minor position adjustment makes the delivery MUCH easier for mare and foal.

It is so refreshing to hear of someone who did her "homework" BEFORE the delivery and knows what to look for.

Enjoy your healthy baby! we can't wait to see pix!

You had an elbow lock. You did not panic, but you did do the right thing. If you had not released the elbow the head and first leg could have only gone so far and then would have been jammed. It is problably the easiest to fix, but without your help the foal could not have been born.

Congratulations!

Thank you.... I have to say I was quite nervous, but then again everything went so fast I didn't have time to think about it.... just went in and got it done. When they say a mare delivers fast...they aren't kidding. Don't we wish us humans were as lucky!lol. "And.... I keep trying to put pics in but still won't let me. Why can't this pic thing be easier? I have them in JPEG, email size?, and getting them off my facebook....name='Joanne' timestamp='1299686912' post='1353680']

You had an elbow lock. You did not panic, but you did do the right thing. If you had not released the elbow the head and first leg could have only gone so far and then would have been jammed. It is problably the easiest to fix, but without your help the foal could not have been born.

Congratulations!

Back