OTC ulcer medicine

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuzzle

Reaction score
I will be moving my mini to a new location and in the past when ever he moved his ulcers would flair. He has been symptom free for two years and I am worried that he will start having problems so I would like to start him on a preventative before I move him. I remember reading on here that you can give an over the counter ulcer med but can't remember what type or how much. Can anyone recommend something? I have used gastroguard in the past but thought maybe I could get away with less as a preventative. At his new home he will also be in training to drive. Should I keep him on a preventative or see how he does first? Do you think the training could cause his ulcers to flair? Thanks for any advice.

Ulcergard is the same ingredient just preventative amounts instead of treatment amounts, paste available OTC. I know there are also supplements available now for gut health, but I haven't used any of them.

Just recently my vet told me I could use Maalox on one of mine, i'm not sure how much though, I did a search on here. I had the liquid she told me 6 Maalox tablets.

Absolutely, any stress of any type can trigger ulcers. This is what my vet suggested to me and we have gotten along great since:

Neigh Lox (we give 2 TBSP twice daily beginning a couple of weeks prior to 'stress', such as show, training, transporting, etc, and continuing throughout the show/training period.)

Gastro Gard while at a show in addition to the Neigh Lox.

We have had no further problems with the horses developing ulcers while on these preventives. Of course, ulcer treatment would be different. This is just preventive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the advice. I will look into the Neighlox and also pick up some ulcerguard too.

Latest posts

Back