Opinions on young geldings nether region...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Dan

Reaction score
Hello everyone. When I got home this afternoon from school, i went to turn the horses out and noticed my young gelding was having some problems urinating (not totally sure though as he wasn't parked out like usual) however he was dropped so i went over to see if i could maybe pick some dirt off with my gloves, as I'm waiting till spring to wash him out down there, any way, i went and picked it up and looked at the little urine hole and it was RED i got a little worried as Ive never seen any thing like this. Is it sposed to be red or what??? I wanted a second opinion before i call the vet. If this is abnormal what could be causing it my best guess would be an infection???

Titansnetherregion002.jpg

Titansnetherregion001.jpg

(sorry about the size)

Any opinions would be grately appreciated!

Dan

LOL, where else in the world would this type of question seem normal!!! I love this board. I can only say in reference to my own stallion and gelding but that area is always pinkish (in the picture your fellow does not look any darker pink than my boys are). I'll telll you a secret cure for urinary infections though. Tea tree oil, I buy it at the drugstore or the grocery store sometimes have it too. Put a small dot of it on your finger and apply to his 'pink area' and if it is an infection it will be gone in a few days (a little goes a long way with this stuff) and it also has a numbing affect so it will make him feel better if it is bothering him. If this doesn't work then I'd suggest a vet. The tea tree oil wont hurt him as long as you use a small dab (I've used it on myself for a bladder infection, worked wonders).

Hope this helps.

Oh thank you so much. Ive looked at this before on him because he has had trouble urinating in the past and it was completley gray which is what worried me. I will oh most definatley look for the tea oil and keep it on hand. Ill keep you guys posted.

Dan

FYI---We vasoline our stallions every 2 to 3 months. This helps to keep them clean in Winter and Summer.

Good Luck with your little guy.

Thanks for the tip Diane, ill try that, surprisingly, hes a very good boy about being handled down there, considering he must be twitched to be vaccinated and hates having his feet handled for to long and hates having his picture taken and who has learned how to untie his lead rope when hes tied up. Thanks all, im definatley gonna put some vaseline on him tommorow if we have any, now dose it need to be cleaned off or can it stay on???

Dan

Dan,

Just leave it on him. It's just like leaving it on a baby's bottom, it will not hurt him.

Good Luck,

Ill defiantley try it out I think we have a jar some where around here oh what fun
default_biggrin.png

Dan, you said he was gray or dark there the last time you looked? Well, that is where my colt hid his mottled skin. You couldn't see he had mottled skin unless he dropped.
default_blush.png

Latest posts

Back