Open show At FAir this year

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting Duckie out there in a show. So I'm going to contact the head of the open show at this years fair to see if they will be having halter classes. My daughter has mentioned wanting to show her so that is a great place to start. She is definitely in show shape and looking awesome. I need to get some pictures of her now that she is home. Thanks to Dorothy she is slim trim and muscled up. Honestly she doesn't look like the same horse that left here 3mths ago.

That trip to the spa did wonders for her. Now I'm wishing I could have gone with her to that spa. Maybe I could be slim trim and muscled up. For the mud treatment Dorothy even has a pond one could set in.
default_yes.gif

I'm hoping tonight we can get her fitted to our new harness and do some good ground driving with her prior to hitching her up and climbing in the cart. This is going to be fun. The best part is my daughter and I will do this together. Can't get better than that.
default_aktion033.gif

So any advice any one has to offer would be much appreciated. You might even get to meet her at an AMHR show or two next year. I'm hoping we will be able to get her into the one out in Boring, OR if they have it next year to get her started in a show career. After that the sky is the limit for her in CDE for VSE type classes.
default_xbud.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Marie...

I thought about that open show that the county fair puts on and tried looking it up and didn't find anything. Let me know when you know something, because I would like to take our kids to that, too!

Good for you!

You & your daughter would have so much fun! If you cant find a class at the fair, check your states mini horse club if they have one. They put on fun shows to get your toes wet and see how the ring feels.

Marie...

I thought about that open show that the county fair puts on and tried looking it up and didn't find anything. Let me know when you know something, because I would like to take our kids to that, too!
That would be awesome. I will give the head a call today to see if they are having the halter classes this year. Its nice and close and so relaxed. I'm hoping to get Duckie in senior Mare Pleasure and the Mare color class at least.

I will let you know what I find out.

Marie

If they DON'T have any mini classes, ask if they will add them! We did that at our fair and they have a good turnout so they've kept them.

We also had our nearby fair add mini classes, and everyone - including the judge - seemed to love them. We proposed a whole division (halter, showmanship, jumping, trail, and disciplined rail) to match what other divisions offered. We did NOT ask for driving because we knew space was limited around the trailers and that some of the big horses might spook at the carts.

There is no need to worry about adding mini classes... your mini can easily compete against the "big guys" in an open halter class. You never know what breeds will show up!

I just showed my Shetland pony in an open show two weeks ago... he was the only "saddle type" horse there among minis and Quarter Horse types... and took firsts under both judges. So you never know what the judge will pick, and hopefully they are looking at conformation and movement regardless of the breed.

I think you will have fun... go and enjoy! It's great practice, too... that's why I go. My stallion needs all the practice he can get.

Andrea

The question with this particular show is not just whether they have mini classes, but whether they even have halter classes anymore.

They did have mini classes for several years, and prior to that I showed Mingus in the "big boy" classes, where he did very well.

In searching the internet for open shows in Oregon and Washington, they appear to be disappearing. The few still in existence are primarily 4-H and primarily have performance classes -- no driving, however. We missed the one open show I've found that has driving.

So, Marie, when you talk to the powers that be, ask for driving classes as well as halter! After all, the local 4-H club has a great driving program.

I am planning on taking Duckie as her Debut in a show ring. She can show in Halter miniature class,

also I believe Stock Type mares and I haven't noticed if they have a color class this year but could go in color mares.

It should be fun to show against the biggies.

Marie

Latest posts

Back