Oops! My 2 month old colt just bred my mare in heat!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skittlebittie

Reaction score
Okay, I was out breeding my mare to my stallion just now. I normally separate the mares from the babies when I breed, and just have the one mare and the stallion present. However, I guess I was just lazy, but I brought the stallion into the pen with the two mares and their babies. I noticed that one of the 2 month old colts was sniffing around the mare's head, so I shooed him away and turned around for one minute. When I turned back around, he had not only mounted the mare, but he had found the right hole and was going to town. I pushed him off of her, and he dismounted "dripping" from his penis. Holy Crap! Has anyone else ever had this happen? I haven't even checked him yet to see if his testicles have dropped, so I know this will make a big difference, but I have NEVER had a colt this young mount a mare before, EVER! Please share if you have had this happen, or know someone who this happened to.

Shortly after the "incident", the RIGHT stallion bred this mare also. I like to keep the mares and babies together in the same pasture, away from the other horses, but now this Mom and baby are separated from the others.

What do you think? Could she take from this little guy?

:new_shocked: :new_shocked: OMG! I can't offer advice, but I'm wishing you the best!

This mare was his mother?!?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
:new_shocked: :new_shocked: OMG! I can't offer advice, but I'm wishing you the best!

This mare was his mother?!?!?!

No, NO, not his mother. He was born to a different mare, but he is still 2 months old. I am shocked!!!!!

Ok, good! Well, still not good, but BETTER. phew.

I really cannot believe his sperm count is there yet? I will let someone else comment :new_shocked:

How is it even possible for a 2 month old colt to reach the spot marked x?

When my colt was 2 months old he could mount his mother, but there was NO WAY he was even close to reaching her privates!

???????????

How is it even possible for a 2 month old colt to reach the spot marked x?

When my colt was 2 months old he could mount his mother, but there was NO WAY he was even close to reaching her privates!

???????????
the mares squat down. faaarrrr down. My mare was bred to a stud the same size as her 2 month old colt.
default_yes.gif
:

default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
: well you have a Mr. Studly. i also don't have anything to offer, but.....awwwe they grow up so fast. :eek:

Wow!! I would say there is no sperm count whatsoever at his age, even though he seems to have it all figured out
default_unsure.png
: Two years ago we had a 2 mo. old colt slip under the wooden fence to go after a mare in heat. He chased her around the pasture and had everyone running. Then he , the mare and the others all ran to the barn, and he realized he was lost and he couldn't find Mom, then he paniced
default_yes.gif
: He "talked" to all the mares here when they were in heat since then. I guess some colts are sexually mature quite early(and 2 months is real early :eek: ), even though they can't make a baby. Lets see what others have for comments.......

Wow you really do learn something new every day, as I had NO IDEA that a mare will squat! Has anyone ever had a colt impregnate their mother before? (maybe a dumb question so sorry in advance)

Well, not only did he find the spot marked X, he was up at her head talking to her, then moved to biting at her flank. I just kinda shooed him away as a small, underdeveloped nuisance. But the mare was tied to the fence, and I was leading the REAL stallion to her. He was talking to her, so she was squatting and peeing when the baby took advantage of the situation. This mare is only 30 inches, so she is not very tall. But yes, he did find the hole, was all the way in, and came out dripping from his penis. Now, he is NOT THE BABY of the mare he bred. He belongs to another mare entirely.

However, I am glad to hear that he has no sperm count yet. This helps alot!

Thanks,

Lori

Oh, and I thought I'd add that he is the only colt on my Sale page, so you can take a look at him for yourself. He is for sale, by the way, and obviously knows what will be expected of him in the future. However, I may need a breeding certificate when he is sold. Just kidding :bgrin

Oh, and I thought I'd add that he is the only colt on my Sale page, so you can take a look at him for yourself. He is for sale, by the way, and obviously knows what will be expected of him in the future. However, I may need a breeding certificate when he is sold. Just kidding :bgrin
he's sooo pretty!! i love bay pintos!!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

Well that sure is different l wouldn't know but would think he has no sperm. All the colts here ride there moms from as early as a week old but look out if any of them tried it on another mare in heat or not they'd go flying and crying back to mom in a hurry.....forgot to add l've never seen any of our weanies ready for the act itself. Half arsed yes mid way through winter but not what your saying to make me worry about them. Personally l find that creepy to think a 2 month old colt could and would.

Last edited by a moderator:
he's sooo pretty!! i love bay pintos!!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

Thank you, me too!

Well that sure is different l wouldn't know but would think he has no sperm. All the colts here ride there moms from as early as a week old but look out if any of them tried it on another mare in heat or not they'd go flying and crying back to mom in a hurry.....forgot to add l've never seen any of our weanies ready for the act itself. Half arsed yes mid way through winter but not what your saying to make me worry about them. Personally l find that creepy to think a 2 month old colt could and would.
Yes, it IS different, that's why I posted here. In all fairness, he DID take advantage of the situation. You're right, most mares kick or push them away. However, THIS mare, at THIS moment, was waiting for the stallion to breed her. He was being led to her, he was talking to her, she was squatting and peeing for him, and WHAM, the little guy moved in. I think it surprised him as much as it surprised me. In his defense, his sire was a more aggressive stallion. He liked to scream, and stomp, and kick his back legs out when he was around a mare in heat. The girls just loved it. So, maybe this little guy is just gonna be a more aggressive stallion also. The stallion I own is not as aggressive with the mares. More easy going. I too, have had weanlings and yearlings mount a mare in heat sideways, or something silly like that. They will smell the urine and lift their upper lip. I did have one yearling that did mount correctly, but had no erection at all. This was the closest I have ever come to a breeding by a baby before now.............

Wow well if nothing else you know he is one smart cookie to take advantage like that.
default_smile.png

I hate it when I get a colt like this- ten to one it is not one I had marked up as a stallion anyway and they are a right royal pain in the backside!!

I would have him gelded before his obnoxious behaviour gets worse- basically all colts will try this on but only the more forward ones attempt to take it any further- if left to their own devices the mares would sort them out pretty quickly.

I had one colt doing all this last year- he was the son of the high ranking mare- and if the mares tried to reprimand him the mother would have a go at them- I had the stallion in with them and he would even try it on with the stallion!!!

NOT the sort of bratty behaviour I want to see in colts, I have to admit, it makes them a pain to train as they have an inflated idea of their own self importance.

I would do everything I could to discourage it.

In my case I took the mare and foal out of the herd and put them in a small group where the other mares had no foals and would sort the colt out- I also weaned him early.

Well, thanks guys, for the encouragement and suggestions. I now believe that he is not fertile, but he does need to be taken down a notch.

So, thanks Rabbitsfizz, I will take your advice and move him to another smaller herd that has no other babies and see how he does. His dam is the alpha horse, no matter which herd she is in, but so far has shown no aggression to the other horses around her colt.

Colts don't hit puberty until they are about a year old
default_smile.png
So he's shooting blanks. Dr Crump wrote a paper describing a "manual collection technique" for stallions, and he's reported that it worked with a colt as young as 4 months old.
default_smile.png
Why he descided to try, I do not know!

I had a colt born last year and 2 years ago that did this and they were both gelded within a couple of weeks of the incident as I didn't want them to get hurt by one of the other mares. My vet told me that about the time he said that he couldn't get the mare pregnant there would be an exception. Both the colts had the same dam different sires and they were between 2 and 2.5 mos of age.

The colt I got when I traded my stallion for he is almost, actually is 2 months old and he's doing the same thing, only he's too short and the other mare is just allowing his rotten behavior.

I too recommend gelding him. My boy has become very nippey and you can't touch him without him biting at you. I believe he is dropped already and we have an appointment to get him gelded in less then two weeks. I can't wait for that day. He was going to be a gelding anyways but not this soon.

Latest posts

Back