One & Only Feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marion 59

Reaction score
Does anyone feed the One & Only Feed, free excess to their minis?

Any pro and contra's?

Because minis seem to eat allmost all the time, I'm wondering if they get to fat?

I havn't used it yet, a friend of mine started feeding it to her Quarterhorses in the pasture.

She told me, you can feed it alone or with hay and pasture?

I don't know, what I should think about it.

Wend makes it. It is a complete feed. I don't know about feeding to minis, I was afraid to feed it to my big horses because it's like dog food chunks...pretty big! I was afraid of choke.

If you're wanting to feed something free choice, why not try oats? I have a tub of that I fill every morning with racehorse oats & my mini grazes around all day on them. He eats about 2 coffee cans a day, depending on his mood.

He eats about 2 coffee cans a day, depending on his mood.
:new_shocked:

Mine would all blow-up like little fuzzy balloons if they were to received 2 coffee cans a day.

I don't feed much oats to my minis, they all get grass hay and a ration balancer plus a little soaked beet pulp and that's pretty much it.

Yes, he is a chunk!
default_wub.png
: He has tons of energy, though. He doesn't get any sweet feed or pellets of any kind, just all the oats and hay he wants. He does really well.

Thank you for your respond.

I don't know, who made it and I don't know how it looks like. Like dog food???

I was just wondering to feed something free choice to minis?

I guess, mine would blow up and explode.lol

Marion

Marion ~ maybe you should ask the feed dealer or consult the maker of this feed, for more info.

I'd be very afraid to leave feed out for free choice, my experience with horses, is they don't know when to stop.

Marion, mine are on pasture all year long, and when the grass is died off ( about 4 months of the year mostly) I give free choice burmuda grass hay.. mine "used to be" quite fat- when I was feeding more complicated, but now everyone is fit.. Minis in general tend to put on the pounds quite easily anyway, so this way they only eat til satisfied.. and not overloaded. Since we have gone to free choice burmuda grass hay we have kept off the fat buldges- The only thing I add to this regimin is a 12-12 mineral block from Purina, and a seperatly provided salt block..When the pasture comes back in, they will naturally wean off of the burmuda hay, and eat pasture insted..
default_yes.gif
:

Normally. I wouldn't even think about feeding a free choice feed. (except hay, of course)

But with our hay and pasture situation here in Texas......

That the reason, why my friend started feeding it.

The hay we have needs to last till late spring. A square bale cost $8,00 in our area. now !!!!

We are feeding Beet Pulp, to keep them all satiesfied.

Marion

8 and 11 dolloars a bale OMG :new_shocked:

I no longer feel bad about $4 a bale.

Wish I could mail you guys some.

We have been feeding ours little chunks of alfalfa, handful of grain, and handful of alfalfa pellets. They are doing more than fine! We are also in Texas and have no hay. When we can find it, it is totally out of our price range! Funny thing is, no one is selling pelleted hay or forage replacers beyond alfalfa pellets, beet pulp, and alfalfa cubes. So.... as long as my pretties are still looking fine, I'm satisfied with the program. My big horses are on more of everything except hay and I swear they have gotten fatter!

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back