One more week

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, this has really turned into a gripe thread, but you guys are the only one I know who can truly understand how frustrating this all is. Tonight at work, I got a phone call from the transport company. They are going to be unable to make the 31st and are now shooting for the first of the following week. I just don't know what to do. Part of me wants to tell them that they need to just give me my deposit back and find another shipper, but Lord knows how long that will take. Another part of me wants to ask them to discount the trip at the very least for the amount I will have to spend in board the extra days that he will be kept over at the breeder's place. Another part of me is saying, 'just roll with it.'

I just don't know what I should do from this point. Of course, I have copied the breeders on all of the emails back and forth between myself and the company so they know what I've been dealing with from this company.

What are your thoughts on this? All I want is to get my new horse home safe and sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would cancel them! if they cant be more efficient than this then I wonder how much care they will be taking of your new boy? I certainly would not be happy with all the delays and repairs necessary - what if they break down/need more repairs while en route??

I know you may have to wait a little longer, but for the safety and health of your boy, I would demand my deposit back and go with another transporter. You will have no nails left at all worrying over your lad while he is in transit with this company.

Good luck.

Anna

I'm so sorry you're going through this
default_no.gif

Start checking into another shipper, especially if you can get your deposit back!!! I would not be happy at all!!!
default_no.gif

Good Luck!!

I understand your frustration, but in reality if the reasons they have postponed/changed are due to SAFETY reasons, then I believe that they have every right/actually in my opinion it is their DUTY to not load horses on a truck/trailer that is anything less than 100% safe.

Perhaps they will work with you on a discount/deposit.

Hang in there Mimi!

Stacy

I rented a horse trailer in Salt Lake to go to Sacramento and pick up my horse I left there when I moved. On the trip out to CA the spring shackle broke. I guess the trailer had been used a lot and ruff. Anyway, we tied the spring up to the frame of the trailer to get to Sacramento. We had to stop every 50 miles or so to retie the spring. This was back when they used bailing wire and I always carried plenty with me. Anyway, it only took about an hour to get the trailer into the welding shop to fix the spring and off we went to pick up the horse and head home. What kind of repairs would take so long on an axle? If they broke the axle would be the only thing I could think of that they would have to wait for parts. Other than that you have wheel bearings that you can get at any parts store. Well maybe a broken spring (the actual leaf spring) they would also have to order too. Both of which you would not want your horse in the trailer until it is fixed. I would look for another shipper. Maybe your first choice shipper could now pick up your boy faster then this guy.

Thanks for all the support, yet again. Stacy, you are always a good voice of reason. Katiean, thanks for the technical information, I'm not mechanically inclined in the least so it is good to know what all is involved in repairing such an issue. Anna, Case Family, and h2...I really appreciate your opinions.

Here is what I've decided to do. I have emailed the first choice shipping company to see if they have a rig in the area that could go and pick him up sometime soon. I'm not cancelling with the company that has my deposit just yet. If the first choice company can go and get him, I'm going to call the company that has the deposit and cancel and then worry about recouping my loss of the deposit once I get my horse here. If they can't, I haven't lost any time and the second company can go get him. If, as Stacy said, it actually is a mechanical issue then I am glad they aren't hauling my horse in a questionable trailer.

Thankfully, I have on file the email that the company that has my deposit sent that clearly states that the contract was for the horse to be picked up by the 31st. That will be of great help in recovering my deposit, should they screw up yet again and not get him to me at the first of next week as promised to me on the phone last night.

So, all in all, at this point I'm playing the waiting game. I truly thank you all for offering your opinions and information on this problem. I'm so glad to have people that can empathize with my situation. Thanks for being there for me.

ETA: I emailed the company and asked that they discount their shipping fee by the amount of additional boarding fees that I will incur at the breeder's place as a result of their being later than agreed in the contract. We'll see if that gets me anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
They agreed to discount the shipping fees by the amount of extra board I am responsible for due to their being late, which makes me feel better. As of today, they will be picking him up this coming Saturday and dropping off on Monday. Please pray for me that they make it this time?

Keep all of your emails and text messages. If they didn't do it by this weekend I would get another shipper and take them to Judge Judy for the extra money you are out.

I am fastidious about keeping all correspondence regarding purchases, thank goodness. I have every single email that I've sent regarding the horse since my first inquiry to the breeder, every transport company I requested quotes from, the boarding barns that I inquired with, etc., etc. That is great advice, Katiean. I learned that all things like that MUST be kept many years ago.

I hope your comment keeps someone else from making the mistake of not saving any and all information when it comes to purchases or contracted serivces.

Judge Judy?? ROFL now that's just good stuff!

I just wanted to follow up this thread. Shake has been here almost a month and I couldn't be happier with him. Once the transport company picked him up, the horse couldn't have had a better ride. He came off the trailer in good condition, calm as could be expected as he arrived at the beginning of a thunderstorm, and the shipper was even kind enough to give me a leadrope, as the horse did not come with one.

The shipper himself was a very nice man and took the time to stay and keep a watchful eye on our little guy while he settled in. KC stood in the barn and visited with us about the miniature horse world and what to expect in it. This was at 4:00 in the morning. I really enjoyed heaing about his horses and his giving me my first glimpse of what to expect from the fun personalities in the miniature horse world.

Latest posts

Back