OMG A snake in the barn!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basketmiss

Reaction score
Ok I walk out to the barn, door with rails was open. Anyway I almost open the door and see a black snake just laying around on a bale of hay!! Yuck! I hate snakes!! It was about 2 1/2 foot long-just lounging there like it belonged!! hello-it didnt belong in MY barn!!

So I took the manure fork and pushed at it and it slithered out!! Thank goodness! I am still cringing about it!!

This has always been my worst thought , to find a snake!!

Anyone else have snake stories??

Missy

I'd personally would rather have a NON-Poisonous snake in my barn than be infested with MICE and BUGS.

Im with MA A black snake poses no danger to you or your horses but they are lethal on rats! They LOVE vermine and are great at ridding a barn of them. Now chicken , eggs and baby chicks are also on thier diet but , I dont like them either so Im ok with that.

Lyn

I have a 'thing' about snakes, ick. I wouldn't want to happen upon one in my barn, they totally creep me out. I am happy to say I have NO snake stories
default_laugh.png

I know a lot of people find snakes creepy, but most of them (non poisonous!) are good to have around. I agree with the othere, a barn with a snake is a barn with less mice and rats. I for one, find wild rats to be gross and do everything I can to keep them at bay.

But, to be fair to your post........here is the consolation you were looking for.....

Oh! A snake! Ewwwww........glad you got him out before he got you..........
default_new_shocked.gif

How was that?
default_wink.png

I didnt say snakes dont have a job.. I realize this, I just find them totally creepy..

When I said it didnt belong in MY barn- I was kidding! it belongs there doing its job, I just dont want to see it...

A few years ago when i was in high school i fed the horses in the morning like i always do...hay..grain ext. I came home from school and went to put the horses outside that i had in stalled. I walked into Coco's stall and there was a really funky smell..like something was dead. I figured he had just had some funky smelling poop or something and took him outside. Then..was cleaning stalls and in his stall the smell was so strong, like something was rotten. I happened to glance over into his feeder and there was a snake in the coiled up position..i freaked and ran backwards out of that stall lol. Got the courage a few minutes later to get close enough so i could glance into the feeder and that snake was FLAT as could be sitting in his feed dish (one of those corner feeders..). It was flat and dead but in that position it looked alive lol. I guess it was in coiled position when it got picked up in the hay field and smashed in the bailer. Im guessing it came out from the hay i gave them that morning..which means that i carried that dead snake in my arms that morning as it was in the hay....i showered and was very very disgusted...dad also had to feed hay for a few days for me.

We have a creek right behind our main paddock and barn so i will be out in the pasture and over by the creek bed and there are always snakes (garden snakes...) that are laying up on the creek bed right under the fencing. Always sends me off running in the other direction...

Huge snake phobia...i mean HUGE.

I have two cats that allow no mice......don't need any snakes!!!!!!!!!!!

I really, really dislike snakes.

YEah ...I ran over one the other day with the mower (didn't mean to though) I have been told that black snakes will keep rattlers away so if I see one he can stay. We had a rattler in apipe when we first moved in and when my grandson pulled the pipe down he fell out ...ALIVE
default_new_shocked.gif
Trent came running up to PAPA saying "Theres a ticking snake out back" :DOH! Needless to say John caught it and moved it to another county
default_wacko.png

Ok, I do have a creepy snake story for you, that I forgot about.

My Nephew was helping me bale/bring in hay, and he went to grab a bale and throw it on the truck. All of a sudden he screamed, and ran...like 90 miles an hour, away from the hay bale. I thought he got stung by something, and I yelled to him "whats wrong". He screamed (like a girl, and he is a strapping 15 year old) " I just grapped a chopped up snake!". he couldn't bear to help on that end of the field the rest of the day. LOL. But I do have to say, it was with no gloves, and I think I would have screamed too. Chopped up snake is not cool to grab on to......
default_smileypuke.gif

This summer when i came home from trimmming horses i was talking with my good neighbor on hte phone and saw the dogs barkin at something on hte back deck. It was a snake and as i was talking with my friend she heard a clinking over the phone and asked what it was i said i was killing a COPPERHEAD with my scoop shovel!!!!!!!!!!!

no big deal

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a large goeffer(sp?) snake in our barn. He scared me to death one day and I actually had to keep myself from killing him. It's a good thing cause my Father said he has lived in there for years and takes care of the rodents for us. Still freaks me out every time I go out there.

Do you know what kind of snake it was Missy?

Wow those are some good snake stories. It was a black snake, it just took me totally off guard.

I am with Leanna-I have a HUGE phobia about snakes!!

I am pretty girlie when it comes to them!! I have no problem cleaning up poop, cleaning sheaths, etc, just want to shreak if I see a snake~!!

I hate snakes. I know some are good but to me they only made 2 kinds live ones and dead ones and I dont like ether. We have been having a problem with copper heads this year. I have killed 5. All 5 of them I shot at night with a .22. Pretty proud of that. 1 shot head shot on all 5. It is not funny to walk out on the front porch at night bear footed and look over to see a 2.5-3' copper head on the porch. My lab Jake has killed 3 that we know about. He brings them up and lays them on the front porch mat. That's my kinda dog.

Mike

We have many snakes around our forest. I like that they eat the varmants and keep the population down. As long as I can identify it I'm good to go. Black snakes have taken a chick or two and some eggs out of my chicken coop. Wish they'd stick to the rats and mice.
default_yes.gif
We have Gopher snakes here too. They are the funniest. When riled up they "act" like a big baddie....reshaping it's head and face to look scarey and it works for those that don't know what it is.

Just the other day Larry (our cat) caught a ring-necked snake downstairs in our basement. I brought it on here and got an identification. Had never seen one of those before.

Babysnake.jpg

Snakes can be scarey and Mom is not a fan. But for some reason I turned out to be the one in the family who will gravitate towards all the creepy crawlies.....just don't put a big sized praying mantis with wings in front of me...or a cockroach!!! :Cold-Scared
default_mlala.gif

Ewww...

We have snakes all over outside, nothing 2 and 1/2 feet long (Thank GOD!) but they always find there way to ME. No one else, just me, they know I throw hay, grain or whatever I'm carrying and dance around so I sware they find me out of pure amusement!

Leeana, I found the same thing once, only the snake I found was a tiny, tiny little thing! I gave it to my grandson for "Show and Tell" at school, and not sure if he even still has it, but if so, I will take a pic and post it sometime! I found it in my stallion's hay box early one Spring. When I went to put the next flake of hay in there was that snake! It was small, and coiled up and was in the "striking" position with it's mouth open even! I couldn;t believe it was dead and basically dried right out!! It was so real and "alive" looking!

Does anyone know what kind of snake this one below is? (besides a dead one!
default_wink.png
)

snake2.jpg

SNAKES :DOH! NO, NO, NO!!!! Only good snake is a DEAD ONE
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

Found the shed skin on one that was over 6 feet long, glad I did not see that boy in person, they would have found me passed out in the neighbor's yard. I'm deathly afraid of them.

I have seen one twice this year in the barn on the hay--first time was when I lifted the tarp up to check a nest were the hen's sometimes laid and he was there all coiled up right at chest high--you sould have seen me clear the half door/gate to the barn. Next time was about a month later and he had a hen by the head and was trying to pull her down into the hay--she somehow got away--called the young man who works for me and he (after my insistance) pulled the whole hay stack down and put it back up -- did not find him but not a week later (after I started pulling the tarp back with a long pole) there he was--took a swip at him but little hard to kill one on hay.

Show me a snake and watch me DIE from PANIC--

Years ago was home recovering from Breast Cancer treatment laying quietly on the couch when I heard the cats trying to come in the Cat Door but so much noise--two of my lovely cat came into the livingroom backwards dragging a 4 1/2 foot snake (Thank GOD it was dead as this was winter time) to show me their prize--you should have seen me clear the couch and out the front door. Took me almost an hour to get the courage up to go back inside with the hoe and pick that thing up and take it outside---
default_new_shocked.gif
!!! When my son got home and told him the story you should have seen him double over laughing -- he learned real quick you don't laugh at Mother when she has been terrorized.

default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif

sorry davie but i would have been laughing also

i would have loved to see you clear that gate

I love snakes and if not poisonous ill pick htem up and play with them

Just trust me when I say this...YOU DO NOT WANT TO HEAR "ALL" OF MY SNAKE ORDEALS!!!!! I have been known to pee on myself once because of a snake....Shudder! I am literally scared to death of them...I am like a cat stuck to a ceiling if I am confronted by one...Again...Shudder...

Latest posts

Back