Olympic Equestrian Events

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
Has anyone come across the dates and times of the Olympic Equestrian Events.....I know in the past they always seemed to be on late at night...just hoping i could catch a little of it. Thanks

This might be helpful
default_smile.png

http://news.yahoo.com/tv-guide-2012-olympics-equestrian-events-schedule-190700788--oly.html

CTV has an Olympics App that is awesome!! Has schedule of all events, tons of vid, and live events, too

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been watching for status updates from the White River 50 Mile Mountain Endurance Run - that my son is running today.

It's an incredibly gorgeous but killer endurance run with elevation climbs to 6000 feet then 8 miles downhill before you go uphill again.

Off and on watched swimming, biking, volleyball. Watered the flowers outside, cleaned paddocks and stalls and

gave out horse treats to good ponies.

I loved the opening ceremony last night....especially the first hour.

Nancy...holy cow...your son runs that...good lord...please keep us posted....Im going to look it up online and see if they show the course.

Watched swimmimg and a bit of volleyball too...between laundry loads and barn chores......too hot to be outside for too long anyway!!

Yes the first hr. of ceremony I enjoyed but got al;ittle bored toward the end.

I got kind of bored toward the end too; too technical or something-odd maybe. I found our local listings for times online through the Olympic website so I can try to watch my favorites. Definitely anything with the horses and gymnastics. But since they are mixed in with other events, I have found myself starting to enjoy some events I thought I would be bored with. Just watched Misty and Carrie do the beach volleyball last night and it was exciting. They were so closely matched with the Australian girls. I was rooting for both sides!!!
default_thumbup.gif

LittleRibbie said:
Nancy...holy cow...your son runs that...good lord...please keep us posted....Im going to look it up online and see if they show the course.

Watched swimmimg and a bit of volleyball too...between laundry loads and barn chores......too hot to be outside for too long anyway!!

Yes the first hr. of ceremony I enjoyed but got al;ittle bored toward the end.
Heidi,

There were fabulous graphics on site showing the race course and comparing the extreme elevations to the flat race of the Boston Marathon.

My son said he felt good all thru the race. The aid stations were set up fabulously. It was a nice day, temps pretty good for running. The huge trees mostly kept them shaded and there were only a few spots in direct sunshine.

He said his watch batteries gave out about 2/3rds of the way thru but he thinks he beat his estimated, of 10.5 hours, time by a few minutes. I've edited to add a couple photos of my son:

http://www.pbase.com/gtach/image/145050997 :::: This first one is at Mile 17, 6,000 feet/Corral Pass - That is our glorious Mt Rainer in the background

http://www.pbase.com/gtach/image/145058775 :::: This 2nd photo is at Mile 37 at about 5,000 feet/SunTop

The fellow who won the race was insanely fast. He completed the course in 6 hours and 16 minutes+ and they hadn't even set the finish clock up yet.

He had tried out for the Olympic running team and came in 5th. Fabulous placing but not good enough to make the team
default_sad.png

That first hour, of the opening ceremony, gave me shivers, I thought it was so neat. Loved the children singing and all the vignettes they went thru. The walk thru of the countries is interesting especially to see the different garb of the different countries, it does go a bit over long.

Many things to watch in the coming days. Hope I can sit and watch some horse competitions.

If you have Directv or Dish, or something similar, you can go to nbcolympics.com and watch the entire event streaming live. I've seen more dressage online than I've ever seen watching the networks, and you can watch the entire go not just 30 seconds of one horse!

We are watching the gymnastics too, but it's well covered on tv.

Jan

Thanks Jan,

That will help - even with the schedule I'd seen I hadn't been able to locate & watch the equestrian events.

Gymnastics was good last night. This morning we watched some of the white water rafting/interesting because

that is a popular activity around here.

Someone on the CD-L graciously listed the Equestrian events schedule for TV coverage on Sat,, so I wrote it down and am setting to tape. This AM, the XC coverage began at 6:15 AM MDT. I forgot to start tape until 7:10, but then have whiled away most of the day watching what I taped---it just finished, and it is almost 4 PM my time! Great to see, though!

I got to see just a few of the dressage riders on Sat...but did see Ingrid Klimpke, daughter of the great Werner(sp?)Klimpke.As soon as I saw her begin her 'go', I said to myself,"that's how it SHOULD look", w/o knowing who she was. She scored quite well, did well again today in XC.(I don't believe she is one of those guilty of rolkur, thank goodness...hope this means better judging is happening!) A relative 'unknown' rider from Japan was FIRST in Dressage, apparently to everyone's surprise...but until he had an unfortunate spill in the XC today, you could see what a TREMENDOUS athlete his little mare was!!(on a STEEP downslope, she just 'propped' and unseated hiim-neither hurt- but as the day wore on, one horse had already 'slid' on its haunches on that steep slope, catching its left hind and extending it backwards.....rider off, not hurt(all are now wearing inflatable vests,which inflate when the rider separates from the SADDLE),,,but the horse clearly had injured that left hind. A REAL SHAME for the Dressage leader and his superbly ATHLETIC mare. One reason I love to watch this kind of stuff, even as a lifelong 'western' rider, is how well you can see/ evaluate the true athleticism,and fitness, of the horses in such a venue!

The German Equestrian team so far seems to be 'ahead'...stadium jumping is tomorrow!

Margo

Thanks Jan ..will try that tomorow. It was nice to see G. Brit get a medal in mens gymnastics...they were just so overjoyed. Felt bad for the U.S. mens team...just wasnt their year I guess. Love the girl Gabby on U.S. womens gymnastics ...hope she and her team do well tomorrow. The rafting was something I never even knew they did in the olympics but found it fun to watch. I know Phelps is a great athlete...but Im just over him...sorry Michael LOL. I wish I got to see the mens diving...I think we won a medal there..will have to go check.

Margo, boy I wish I saw the horses today....it sounds like I missed seeing alot of talented animals/athletes.

Nancy that looked like a great but grueling course. I looked at lots of the pictures and found a web site....I would love to hike around there. Your son didnt even look tired...he was smiling!! I dont think I could walk that course. Thanks Jan..I have Direct Tv so will have to check itout tomorrow. Boy I just love that girl Gabby from the womens gymnastic team ( U.S. )..I so hope they do well tomorrow. I guess it just wasnt the mens year this time around...they really seemed to struggle. it was nice to see how happy the G.Brit. mens team was to finally win a medal ( Gymnast )

I never realized they had rafting...boy that looks fun and was fun to watch. I wish I got to see the diving....missed that but I think we got a medal...silver maybe.

I like the swimming but Im really over Phelps..sorry Michael I know your a great athlete but Im still over you!! I hope the other U.S. guy kicks his butt....again sorry michael!! LOL

Sitting up waiting to see the equestrian events. Comes on here at 2.30 am! Still, it's worth it. Was thrilled to see how well Zara did yesterday. I'm sure her mum must be thrilled - oh and grandmum too.

I always am glued to the TV, when the Olympics come around - winter and summer. I have thoroughly enjoyed this year, since it was in my old home. They have done a wonderful job I think. Was surprised to see on the news, that many across the world, actually thought The Queen actually did jump from the helicopter. I'll bet she got a kick out of that.

I am a bit peeved though. I am shocked at two of the male US swimmers, who have acted like catty little old ladies, over the garden wall, when it comes to saying things about Michael. Until they have equaled his record, I think they should really keep quiet. Interestingly, I haven't seen any of the lady competitors, running down others. Just those men.

And I'm horrified at the Brit men gymnasts tonight, being awarded the silver and then having it taken from them, after the Japanese complained. Their last guy did NOT go into a full hand-stand and then he fell off the pommel horse, in a heap on the floor! How the judges could possibly go against their original markings, is beyond me. They got it right the first time.

Anyway, have been thrilled to see Misty and Carrie together again and doing so well. Certainly it is because of them, I have become a huge volleyball fan. Looking forward to seeing what today holds.

Lizzie

If you go to www.nbcolympics.com you can get the listing of all the equesterian schedule. I am finding so far theat they are mostly in the am on the nbcsn channel.

Oh my gosh...I saw the Japanese guy. go up and put down a $ bill and question their scores ( I did see the guy in ? )....watched for the replay and thought ..well he didnt do a HAND STAND.....it was a good score and would stick. I ended up going to bed. Never realized they took it away from the Brits!!! Im fumming!!....now have to go find a story somewhere. Oh, those poor Brit boys.....they were so thrilled!!

I can't watch any of this live, as I have neither cable nor broadcast television, and streaming requires your cable password to use. I'm stuck watching whatever is posted after the fact on YouTube.

I really don't mind, except that I would really enjoy watching native Oregonian Rich Fellers and Flexible in show jumping. The two of them are worthy of a Disney movie, as Fellers is both gorgeous and a great human being, and Flexible is both short and old for a jumper and has come back after two injuries that would typically be career-ending, if not life-threatening (broken shoulder and cut-off blood supply to hoof), yet together they have won everything in sight.

susanne, I did not realize that about Flexible ( injury )....that makes me like him even more. I just thought he was a little power house because of his small size. good for them.

huge tears for me, happy tears, when the ladies won the US team Gymnast...those girls were just awesome and so inspiring for the next generation.

Dang it, I still haven't had time to sit and watch the Equestrian events.

So happy for the US Lady Gynmaast's ...... They pulled out the stops for this!

Better not be anyone contest this performance!!!

Thanks Heidi, Michael T loves running, no matter how grueling the course.

It is a popular hiking spot at Crystal Mountain area, in the foothills of Mt Rainier.

Come this way --- we'll show you
default_smile.png
You'd have to bring lots of film there are

so many photo oportunities.

Latest posts

Back