Okay leather cleaners!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BannerBrat

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just was cleaning my harness up really good (clinic sunday!
default_wink.png
) And through my 5 years or so of cleaning harnesses I've come up with three that I would recommend. Just wondering about everyone else's experiences.

So, in this order, here's my list

1. Skidmore's Leather Cream
  2. Leather CPR
  3. Leather Therapy, Cleaner and Restore'er

:)

I've never used anything but the Leather New my mom used. Love that stuff! No sponges necessary, just spray and wipe.

Leia

My new harness just came from Iowa Valley, so this is a fun topic to come across.

Leather Therapy, the cleaner, has a lot of alcohol in it and tends to dry out tack if used to too much. I used to use it on the biggie tack, but it really did start to dry it out after a while. Their conditioner helps, but I just got the willies after thinking it was so tried out that i had to recondition. After a good ride (Or drive, I'd guess!) through the mud and rain, though, a good cleaning with the Leather Therapy would be useful, it cuts through dirt like no other!

I'm a fan of glycerin soaps myself. Mad Cow, Belvoir and a newer soap put out by M.O.S.S. The M.O.S.S. soap is scented, hehe! The scent doesn't really last, but the soap itself is great. Made from veggie glycerin and goat's milk. It's the only glycerin I have found that doesn't leave a waxy coating on tack.

The one product I will never use again is Horsemen's One Step. It is a creme that leaves tack sticky and WAY too soft.

That being said, I will not be even thinking about holding a sponge to my new harness until it is all fitted properly.

Julie

A guy I know who has been making harnesses for 55+ years, swears by Lexol, won't use anything else.

My absolute favorite, bar none is Passier Lederbalsam as a conditioner and Passier saddle soap. I haven't found anything that can come close it. All my leather stuff is so supple and soft! Be careful with the Lederbalsam though, if you use too much you'll over condition the leather. Start with a little bit and go from there.

If I couldn't get the Passier stuff, I would use good old Farnam Leather New and Farnam Leather Conditioner. It's inexpensive and it works really well.

I agree, I would never use the Horseman's One Step cleaner/conditioner again. It left this really disgusting white residue on all my tack that took two good cleanings with saddle soap to get off. I'll never use it again.

Murphys Oil Soap diluted with water, quick cleanup, cheap and cleans and softens in one. Harness Honey only to condition and that is just a couple times of year. Don't want to over condition the leather.

Back