Ohio horse shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrat

Reaction score
Hello,

I transfered over to the driving world about 3 years ago. I still love riding but I get to enjoy the mini's so much more when driving plus I can have my sons go along.

I'll probably hit the local show rings this year. If I can find them with a driving class, and if they have driving It will be just that a driving class , all styles thrown in one class - big and small country or single.

As the kids get older and I build more confidence in the Mini's and the 4-H kids, I'd like to be able to turn them safely loose in the show ring too, but kids and ponies need more work(prolly more the kids then ponies).

We have an excellent driving stallion, but no where near to show him, He's AMHA and the Mini show in Ashland Ohio is only for AMHR. I really wish they would have a couple open classes, that any mini could enter. We don't breed so I have no desire to pay to have him hardshiped just so I can pay large entry fees for 1 show a year. We can only show a couple of the mini's at this show, and the rest have to stay home. Along with several of my 4-H kids mini's, They were once reg. with amhr but the previous owners let the papers go, and they aren't paying the extra fees and such either. THey should make the fees more reasonable and some of us who just enjoy our mini's with out breeding or trying to make money from them could have a place to go have fun and compete with other mini's.

I wish we could compete at a mini show, But I guess the breeders don't want to welcome any grade or non -AMHR horses. THose shows are for Breeders and trainers only, I've just decided (had the big light bulb above my head) - If a grade mare went in a halter class and placed above a registered horse, I guess that breeder would be upset, since s/he paid extra for the papers. Even though both have equally supported the individual show, by paying the same entry fees and grounds, stall, etc. fees.

I do wish there was a place for the kids, adults and thier horses to have a busy day of showing, our 4-H shows just don't offer enough for the mini's. (showmanship, trail, occasionally 1 driving class, all these classes are for all breeds reg. or grade)

I would love to hear from other Ohioians, who would be interested in a driving Show! Maybe if we all got togethere we could pull it togethere~ I know of 2 fairgrounds we could use right in in the middle of Ohio.

Anyone interested in trying to put togethere a driving and fun based show for next season, please email me. With help we could pull it off.

We could but wouldn't have to make it exclusively mini's either if we went more along the lines of cde and then we could also invite the draft types. I'm not one for singling anyone or thing out, I feel all should be welcome but thats not the way things really are. I have 4-Her who wanted to enter a draft show so she could do cones and have more than 1 driving class, but she was told it was for drafts only.
default_no.gif

I've had alot of people talking about it at our fair but hard to tell who will follow thru! If I get enough support and start the ball rolling, I will follow thru with the attempt.

I've got alot of ideas on this subject but noone (active) to share them with.
default_no.gif

Hi there

Just an fyi the BMHC puts on 2 fun shows per year for minis that includes driving, obstacle driving, obstacle, jumping, halter etc. Horses do not have to be registered to enter. There is another mini fun show late summer in Ohio that I dont think require they be registered.

Also you could register them PTHA and show them there but its about 80.00 plus the membership fee.

Please dont take this wrong but its not breeders or trainers faults that you cant show in a AMHR show. You have to remember its an AMHR/ASPC show so why would they let horses enter that arent registered?? Just wouldnt make sense. These shows are to promote ASPC/AMHR horses. I have friends that do not breed but love to show in ASPC/AMHR. I think there are probably a lot more non breeders showing then you think there are.

As a breeder I also want to promote my ASPC/AMHR registered horses so I would be upset if non registered horses could enter. Not because Im afraid of being beat but I have put a lot of money, sweat and tears into breeding and registering my horses with ASPC/AMHR.

I do think you have a great idea but show attendance was down this year so might be hard to get entries next year?? I hope not but we will all have to see what the economy, gas etc does in 2009. It takes a ton of work and money to put on a show even a fun show.

Right now is an excellent time to buy a competitive amhr horse.
default_laugh.png

I don't mind being beat by a GOOD horse, papered or not. So, your comment that breeders and trainers don't want an unregistered animal at a sanctioned show doesn't sit well with me. I enjoy GOOD competition. IF I do get beat, makes me work that much harder at the next show.

Why don't you check into the local county fairs. The majority of them do not require the animals to be registered.

default_saludando.gif
Hi, I know it can be frustrating to find shows that your horse can enter. Here are a few open mini shows, or have open mini classes including driving classes:

* Adams Co. Ohio Horsemans Council West Union, Ohio Spring and Fall Show

* Brown co. Horsemans Show three shows during the year Georgetown Ohio

* Brown Co. Fair September, Georgetown Ohio

* Fairfield Co. Fair October Lancaster, Ohio

* Buckeye Miniature open Show, Spring and Summer Newark, Ohio

I know there is some more but I have to look them up. Can't remember off the top of my head.

I know you said you are looking for fun shows, but maybe try an AMHA show if your horse is registered AMHA already? THe MAMHC hosts a show in Springfield, Ohio with a flat fee of $100 per horse, plus stall fees you can take your horse in as many classes as you would like. I have had horses in 15 classes before which is an awesome deal. There are several driving classes, youth, Amateur, Open... country, single pleasure, and roadster and split up even more by height and sex etc. plus all the hunter/jumper obstacles, halter classes, liberty etc. I know $100 sounds like a lot, but when you think of all the classes your horse can go in its really a great deal.

Sorry, My second post must have gotten lost - it was right after Kaykay's post- I sure wish it would have posted because I made several good points and redeemed myself not sure if I can do again.
default_wacko.png

First thing I want to say is I don't blame breeders or trainers. Sorry, I came acrossed so negatively! That wasn't my intention I shouldn't type my thoughts as they come.

But I do think the grade mini's and their owners need a place to go to show off too (so to speak).

I do think though, that if they did have grade classes they should be seperated as grade, thats the way they did alot of the point shows when I was younger and showing QH, they'd have individual Reg. breed classes then a grade class.

Years ago there was a open show every weekend somewhere close and not hard to find a QH show fairly close atleast every other w/e.

Yes- the market is bad right now and you can get reg. horses cheap but that still doesn't help the person who would rather show their grade mini.

All ours are Reg. except 2 so the showing frustration comes from having to leave some of the members and thier mini's out because they are not reg.

I have a girl in our club who has a mini mare that pulls champ or Res. every year even against the big boys, and she wants to do more shows with more classes and I don't know where to tell her to go.

Thanks to you all for the ideas and list of shows in Ohio. None are close, so we just may have to travel but that would be ok for a large variety of classes to choose from for mini's.

I just signed up to head up this year's fun show committe for our fair so I'm going to work really hard on bringing a few more fun classes in that the mini's can also enjoy.

Think I'm going to make a few friends with some draft people too and see about joining forces and setting up a show or fun day for driving events.

Last year the drafts had a show and when my 4-h'er asked about entering her mini they said it was just for the draft breeds. But maybe we'll have to talk to them again, the more entries the more $ the show will make at least for driving classes where only 1 horse and cart in the ring at a time(like cones). I wouldn't want the mini's and kids in a ring with a big draft hitch, anyway.

Sorry to offend any of you.

default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png

Kay- where are the BMHC fun shows usually held?

Why buy a new horse? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just put the AMHR papers on your already registered AMHA horse?

I know to hardship into AMHA is a pretty penny but if the horses is quality enough and can be competitive, maybe hardshipping is the best and cheaper way to go in the long run.

I really do understand your frustration and I am not offended by your statements
default_smile.png
Just trying to show the flip side. Remember a rated show is to showcase those registered horses wether it be AMHA or AMHR. So I cant see ever offering classes for non registered horses.

The bmhc shows are in Newark Ohio. Some of the classes are payback classes so thats nice.

There is another club that puts on a lot of open shows with mini classes but I cant remember the exact name. The Ohio Horse Council?? something like that. If you get the Corral paper its listed in there.

What part of Ohio are you in?? You might think about becoming a member of bmhc and then you can have a say in the shows etc.

Kay

Latest posts

Back