Oh heck, let's do a POLL and get it overwith

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Once and for all, what is your preference?

• SHAVINGS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • STRAW

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Shavings, I had a TB who ate straw at a show and coliced. But I'm hearing and reading straw for foaling time? Kathy

Marty, what is it that you want fixed? Let me know and I will be happy to do it for you.

Carol

Neither! I use Amish circular sawed sawdust. Mostly Maple. For foaling I always use nice fresh brite straw.

[SIZE=14pt]Im for straw in the foaling stalls ( keeps babies warmer and they dont breath in fine shaving dust....... Shavings in all others.[/SIZE]

April

I prefer shavings. Much easier to deal with. But several researches have proven horses much prefer straw. And straw is easier to burn than shavings. Also, I live in farm country and straw is much cheaper than a load of shavings.

I like fine sawdust for regular bedding but for foaling I put down sawdust then straw. Straw isn't as absorbant.

After having to deal with both Straw and shavings over the years.

I prefer Shavings hands down. They adsorb more, are easier to clean, and less weight at clean up time.

The horses are also less likely to eat shavings.

The really big fluffy shavings are good for foaling. Have done straw too, but did not like the results as much.

For foaling when the weather is good, no rain and warm. Outside on the clean grass is best near the house (only if area is baby foal proof).

Found my mares in the past prefered that over being in a stall.

Neither straw or shavings. WOODY PET here the cost of woody pet and shavings are close in initial purchase, but over a months time, the wood pet is cheaper and the barn does not smell 'like a barn'

Foaling stall definately hay.

I have zero preference except for price
biggrin.gif
since we don't have bulk shaving here I have to buy by the bale well if straw is cheaper and decent I buy that ...where I used to live we used wood pellets for pellet stoves as they were 1.99 a bag and worked just like woody pet.......so I bed based on cost if it is clean dry and safe
wink.gif
oh and i don't find straw too tough to clean it just requires a bit different of a method...........once you learn how it actually is quite easy
wink.gif

Straw for foals the first 2 weeks for the warmth after that shavings only less work and not the smell that peed on straw gets..

Shavings... and here's why... We had our QH (in the picture) boarded at a VERY PRICEY GORGEOUS horse farm that used staw. Well, she had chronic hoof problems. The straw didn't absorb urine well at all, and the farm put those glue on shoes on her, and charged me $125 a shoe!!!!!!!!! I got her home, put her on shavings, and no more hoof problems. She was walking on her frogs... it was awlful. A year later... after going to shavings... she has gorgeous hooves. I checked with an owner prior to where I was boarding her, and they had her on shavings, and not one hoof problem... Our current farrier said he believes that the shavings kept her hooves drier. She spends alot of time in the barn, because she's black and black can be.... so yeppers... I voted shavings..

I know... hay for the babies....

God Bless,

Lynn W

I am not familiar with the Woody pet. Could someone please give me more info on them??? How do you like them??? I'll switch if everyone thinks they are much better. How about disposal of them??

Last edited by a moderator:
I use nothing in my stalls - last time I used shavings my gelding was eating it and got colic - then when my filly was born and she was 2 months old she came down with colic ,found out she was eating the straw that momma would mix in with the hay. So since my minis are only in their stalls at night I prefer nothing right now.

some years ago University of Tennesee vet school did a study to see what horses actually preferred. A herd of 40 ponies was allowed free choice in a large lot with the following run- in pole buildings (identical shelters, identical footage inside)

sawdust/shavings unlighted, sawdust shavings with a light on at all times, straw unlighted, straw lighted at all times. In every instance the critters preferred to bed down in the lighted straw building. This is documented in one of the old University of TN teaching texts, can't remember the title or author at the moment, if it comes to me I'll post it here too!
wacko.gif
CRS us sooo annoying!

Latest posts

Back