officially need help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westwood Farms

Reaction score
Ann, I appreciate your encouraging words. Yes, I prayed for you , and now myself.

With that said,I need a rescue mission. My house is apparently standing. My horses status is uknown. No water is available. Mary Breckling is trying to headup a rescue for my horses, if they are even alive. I understand my property has substantial damage. We may have to stay out as long as 30 days, or as little as a few.

My horses are without feed. I do have a few very hard keepers.

There are 25 horses there, including a mini donkey, and 2 Quarterhorses. I may be over reacting , but, since I am not there, I do not know.

I am pretty sure the barn is gone. I think my horse trailer should be there, and it is a large stock trailer.

I hate to ask for help without really knowing what happened to my horses, but, If they are there, I hope they are ok.

Also, Carlene Fontenot is located in Orange, on Hudnall. She had like 7 horses there. She is also out of touch.

I also have a house cat, and a border collie.

I would appreciate any help you can give, and LSER may have to be involved. I have one of their foster horses at my place/.

thank you, alicia, sean and Savannah.

We are not close enough to get there, but if I have your permission, I can post your plea on another horse forum with some members closer, maybe they can check your place for you? Please let me know.

yes, please. I will let you know if I hear something. I just got word that I have a friend close by, she may be able to check on them. But I do not know as of yet.

thank you so much!!!

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayer Alicia! Bless you and your family!

I pray your horses and animals are ok.

Take care my friend!

I am in west TN,but I will be more than happy to do what I can. We are just getting alot of wind.

please let us know at cmhr how we can help. we have raised money for you and others hit by these hurricanes. call me or email me anytime

217-898-1307

[email protected]

I am in Indiana and would guess too far away to help. But if there is anyting I can do, talking is my best! I can get things out, email, on boards, just let me know.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Hi

I don't know if this will help any of you. But I just received this email.

News Release

Texas Animal Health Commission

Box l2966 * Austin, Texas 78711 * (800) 550-8242 * FAX (512) 719-0719

Bob Hillman, DVM * Executive Director

For info, contact Carla Everett, information officer, at 1-800-550-8242, ext. 710,

or [email protected]

For immediate release: (Carla Everett cell phone 512-865-1696)

Agencies, Associations Address Hurricane Rita’s Animal Issues

As Hurricane Rita passes through Texas, agricultural-related agencies and associations have teamed up in support of the Governor’s Division of Emergency Management to address animal and livestock rescue, and recovery and disposal of carcasses.

“In preparation for Hurricane Rita, hundreds of sites, such as livestock markets, arenas, fairgrounds, kennels, individuals and veterinarians sheltered evacuated pets and livestock. Information on sites is provided by the Texas Animal Health Commission at 1-800-550-8242, and the full list is on the agency’s web site at http://www.tahc.state.tx.us. Now we and our partnering agencies and associations are focusing on animal rescue and recovery in damaged and flooded areas,†said Dr. Dee Ellis, assistant executive director with the Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC).

“Representatives from more than a dozen agricultural-related agencies and animal humane organizations are working cooperatively in the TAHC headquarters in Austin, and each has particular authority, responsibility or expertise. By teaming up, Texas can provide consistent, comprehensive assistance, whether it is damage assessment of animal-related facilities, animal rescue, carcass disposal, or treatment. All efforts are coordinated with the State Operations Center and local governments.â€

Dr. Ellis said the partnering groups include the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Veterinary Services, Animal Care and Farm Service Agency, and Texas’ Department of Agriculture, Cooperative Extension Service, Parks and Wildlife Department, and Commission on Environmental Quality, Department of State Health Services (Zoonosis Control), as well as the Texas Federation of Humane Societies and American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. He said Texas Animal Control officers, the Texas Veterinary Medical Association and contacts in Louisiana and Arkansas also are team partners.

“Animal rescue is a big issue in flooded areas, and animal care and protection organizations are essential for this effort. By coordinating rescue and sheltering work, the response is greatly enhanced with local governments, and with the field staff from the TAHC, Cooperative Extension Service and other agencies. The Texas Department of Agriculture has a Hay and Grazing hotline, so producers can find lease pastures or hay. Information can be obtained from the TDA toll-free at 877-429-1998, or on the TDA’s web site at http://www.agr.state.tx.us in the ‘Producer Information’ section,†he said.

“The Commission on Environmental Quality has regulatory authority for carcass disposal, so they are an integral partner, as are county agents, local private veterinary practitioners and TAHC inspectors, who receive reports of displaced, drowned or injured livestock. Texas Parks and Wildlife Department game wardens and state park personnel are notified of wildlife casualties, and they have rehabilitators permitted to care for wildlife,†said Dr. Ellis.

---30---

Vicky

Alicia,

Can't help with checking on things, but if you do need some temporary placements of your animals, please let me know. Hard keepers will not be a problem. I have six stalls and pasture so let me know what you need. We are just north of I-20 in Tyler.

Prayers that all is ok!

Kim

903-521-4951

I have 3 stalls and pasture in Montgomery, TX available if someone can help get them here.

979-412-0956

Last edited by a moderator:
REPORT FROM WESTWOOD MINIS IN BEAUTMONT, TEXAS

This is SEAHORSE FARM, here. Just talked to Alicia Manuel by phone, and they are still at a campground somewhere in Oklahoma. They will be leaving there soon, but still can't go home, as there are trees and electric lines still down in Beaumont, and the officials won't let people back in right now.

She had heard from someone in her area, that FINALLY someone took the horses water, but that doesn't mean they will do that everyday, as there are like 25 horses there, and the locals have their own problems, less well taking on a herd of horses that isn't even theirs. She doesn't know the status of all the horses, meaning if any are hurt, or worse! If anyone that lives in that town, or near, could possibly take water to the 25 horses, and do a head count and condition on her horses, and report it back here, she would much appreciate it. The farm is located at:

15614 Old Sour Lake Rd.------Beaumont, Texas

I know you will help if you can, and thanking anyone in advance if they can, who lives in that area.

SEAHORSE FARM

The latest news I got from Kay is that Tony may try to get to Alicias horses and transport them to his place. Not sure if he can get in tho. CMHR is also trying to find someone to check on the Dwarf & Gelding in China, TX Any one near there that can go in and check? It's about 15 miles east of Beaumont. Both areas got hit pretty hard.

Thanks,

Ginny, Treasurer CMHR

Ann i have been trying to reach Alicia by phone all morning. All i get is "all circuits are busy"

If you talk to her again PLEASE tell her to call tony asap. He has offerred pasture for all of them but we have to know quickly. Tony leaves wed for the world show so they have to be moved by then. I sent her an email with all the details since i cant get her by phone

Kay

kaykay said:
Ann i have been trying to reach Alicia by phone all morning.  All i get is "all circuits are busy"
If you talk to her again PLEASE tell her to call tony asap.  He has offerred pasture for all of them but we have to know quickly.  Tony leaves wed for the world show so they have to be moved by then.  I sent her an email with all the details since i cant get her by phone

Kay

473980[/snapback]

Alicia's Manuel's cell phone number is:

409-504-8194

and she has it with her in Oklahoma. I just got thru to her, and told her to call Tony at

512-295-4575

Got that number off his website, but don't have his cell in case he is out in the pasture. Told Alicia to call him asap, and let him know, that she does need his help, and that he is in a bind for time, as he is leaving for World's Wed. Also, asked her to tell Tony, to let us know, via this topic, if he is successful in getting her horses, so if he does, we won't need to keep trying. Alicia, can only access this forum sporadically, and says she really doesn't know the chain of command to get things moving. All I knew was to tell her to call Tony, and I think Lara Pier and Monette Freeman are also trying to help her as well. Gave her their phone numbers too, and mine, as a go between and to report back here. That's all I know for now.

God love all of you for helping Seahorse Farm during Katrina, and now trying to help everyone else that Rita has devastated. Oh, I pray her horses survive, and get rescued.

That's all I know for now, and will post back, if I hear anything else that needs reporting from Alicia Manuel. I know she is going to call Lara Pier, plus told her to call Monette at Wisteria, if she knows anything or has any help on the way for Alicia's horses. Yep, GENERAL MONETTE of Wisteria is tops in the organizational and get it done department. And Lara is one to have on your side, if you are in trouble as well. They both have been wonderful to Seahorse with emotional support and every other kind, too.

Again, thanks to all, and hoping we can pull it together for Alicia, and save her horses.

SEAHORSE

thanks so much ann. i just tried again to call her and still cannot get thru. maybe too many of us are calling her?? Lara is not feeling well so i told her i would take over on this end.

All she needs to do is contact tony and make arrangements with him. I told her CMHR will pay for all fuel, feed etc so no worries there

Kay

edited to say i finally got thru but got voice mail

Kay

Last edited:
hi everyone, we are ok, still in Oklahoma. My neighbor brought in water today, it may last a day or so,. I do know know of the health of anyone but they are ok. I did talk with TONY, he said he had room, and would coordinate with chances. I have not heard anything else. They may be moved to a local farm, that has better access to water, and coyotes, but they would be watched closely. I have no word on Carlene FOntenot in Orange, She is my best friend, I do not know if her horses made it at all.

I feel very blessed to be a part of this group . We are living off credit cards, as we cannot work, obviously. Thank you Chances for your generous donation. We will be applying this to a generator. We may head home tomorrow, although earlier today we were going to Kansas to save on living expenses.

Circuits are still flooded. Anyone trying to get through, just keep tryin. Eventually you can get through. Our place is a total mess, from what we understand. Lots of cleanup to do.

thank you everyone, and we did not have any flooding.

I forgot to say I have not spoken with monette. Thanks for your support on everything..We will see what tomorrow brings.

Bless you Alicia, I am too far away to help physically, but I am praying for the health of your animals and yourselves.

(((((HUGS))))) You must be so terrified!
cold.gif
crybaby.gif

Latest posts

Back