Odd Stallion Behavior

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
I have noticed my chickens limping lately. I have only hens. Last night when I went to feed. As I came around the corner of my studs stall he had one front foot on a hens lag and the other front foot on the hens wing. He was dropped and had a glazed look in his eyes. I yelled at him to get off the hen and he started to lift one foot. as the hen was going to get away he stepped back down on her leg. I had to go in and push him off of the poor hen. Has anyone else had a stud do this? He does have over the fence contact with my mares. So, he is not alone.

Oh and I might add that the hens roost is behind his stall and he was raised with the chickens in his pen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen one of our stallions chase and/or try to stomp one of our hens that might get into his pen. Nothing like you have described though.

Pam

Wow, that's frightening!

I've seen Freedom chase down the kittens and attempt a stomp, but the kittens are always faster than him. Maybe he's just deciding that he needs to kill anything in his territory?

I can think of several things - boredom, threatened, a game. Can you close his pen off more from the chickens, or you might just have more lame chickens.

I have chickens here and they free range in the afternoons. They go in and out the mini's lot frequently and have never had behavior like that. My chickens and minis get along just fine. Hope someone will be able to help you.

Joyce]

Im not sure it is a stallion thing. It is not uncommon for some horses of any gender to not tolerate animals running around them. I have a couple cat stompers and they will go out of their way to entertain themselves by finding cats to stomp.

All of my horses are dog chasers we had a fox in the pasture and that poor little fox was scared to death he had a herd of horses and ponies chasing him thru the pasture. (they have also done this to the labs who live next door on occasion)

I have other horses who love the barn kitties and one mare even let the cats sleep on her at night

I would say he is doing this out of boredom and for entertainment. For the chickens' sake,maybe make his stall less accessable to them.

I own one of those cat-stompers
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back