obstacle classes/ desensitising

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orin

Reaction score
I would like to do something a bit different with my boys. What is involved in obstacle classes and what do you guys do for desensitisation? We have done tarpaulin, big gym balls etc?

Sounds like you are well on your way. I thrown the lead rope all over them, smack the whip on the ground all around them, plastic bags touching them, tarps. What I plan on doing more is the real simple things you wouldn't think would be such a big deal like circles or huluhoops. At Nationals my 2 were real leary about the orange circle, I've had back luck with the orange circles and going to work with them on that this year. Just work well on your piviots, backs, and side passes. Sidepass over anything you can do.

Fab thankyou. I can put the whip all over and smak it next to him and swing it over his head etc no problem there will go get a hula hoop :)

Another thing if you haven't already is make them walk into a kids swimming pool with water in it. Its a great obstacle for some altho I haven't seen many shows use one in a long time but it would be handy for them to know in case one does pop up. Just another thing I've popped into my head that I need to work on this year.

The craziest thing you can imagine can and probably will show up in a show. They often try to come up with something they think no one will have tried. So you need to get inventive at home walk over around and thru anything and everything you can see and that is safe to use. If the horse is used to walking, troting and whoa on command or body language, it's time to start obstacles.

I like to get them use to holding the front feet still and moving the back end around in a circle. Start with maybe a circle drawn in the dirt. Move up to a rope circle and then a hlula hoop. If you get one that has those little balls inside that make a noise you've got two obstacles in one. Not only do they have to get used to stepping over but if they hit it coming in or out and it makes a noise they have to learn it won't "eat them".

The biggest thing is to develop a bond between you and the horse. If the horse TRUSTS you completely, it will learn and do almost anything. I don't think they can come up with an obstacle that my mare would refuse if I (not necessarily someone else) asked. I know a few years ago they had a BIG stuffed snake at Nationals to side pass over. Many horses would not even go near it. My mare got a bit wide eyed but I gave the cue to sidepass and she did as she was asked. It wasn't so pretty because she hurried but she still did it. Another thing that I've heard they used was helium balloons and the horses had to sidepass over them.

Trust is number one when desensatizing, next on the list, whatever you get them use to on the ground that is moveable,... manipulate and elevate it! Horses will compartmentalize objects,....they will seeing a flat tarp on the ground and get accustomed to it, if you wad it up or hang it from a tree, it is now out of the ordinary and they need to get accustomed to it in an unexpected place or form. A flat hula hoop on the ground will be seen differently from an unexpected hula hoop with a rope laced through it hanging at head level, an up right barrel is different than a "scary one laying on it's side,....I am sure you get the point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fab I will start getting everything out around the yard. I have done loads with him and if anything he is over confident to the point if he sees something new instead of spooking away he runs to see what it is that's going to eat him lol. I think the biggest problem ill have with the hula hoops etc is stopping him from picking up in his mouth. He has just been in the new years day parade in london where there was bands, huge balloons and over half a million people. He walks, trots,canters,backs,stands on command. He will stop and come to me even if he is galloping around on command.

Also are stallions allowed to do obstacle classes?

Speaking of the kids wading pool with water, at one show not only did they have the pool they also had one of those motion activated frogs that started croaking when you got close to it, Just something else you might want to be ready for..At another show we had to stop the horse on a wooden bridge and drop the lead for ground tying and leave the horse to put mail in a mail box about 10' away, so work on ground tying your horse, it can get pretty exciting when one starts doing laps around the arena..

Danny

Last edited by a moderator:
Fab I will start getting everything out around the yard. I have done loads with him and if anything he is over confident to the point if he sees something new instead of spooking away he runs to see what it is that's going to eat him lol. I think the biggest problem ill have with the hula hoops etc is stopping him from picking up in his mouth. He has just been in the new years day parade in london where there was bands, huge balloons and over half a million people. He walks, trots,canters,backs,stands on command. He will stop and come to me even if he is galloping around on command.

Also are stallions allowed to do obstacle classes?
He sounds like a perfect candidate for obstacle. That is one thing that no one has mentioned and that is using fake plants and making sure he doesns't eat them. I ran into that with two horses. Instead of being scared of the "hanging" plants they wanted a sample. LOL

Sandee that's my biggest problem he tries to eat EVERYTHING!! I think my biggest worry is him grabbing everything with his teeth instead of going through/ around it lol. Will get practising.

Back