Nursing Home Visit

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickermaker

Reaction score
Junior's visit to the nursing home today was GREAT! Junior done fantastic for only being 5 mos old. Junior wore a necktie and a straw hat - oh so cute!

We started out in the Alzheimer section. I wasn't for sure if we should be doing this since the first resident we seen in a reception area told us to get the HE** away from her and outta there. But of course had to realize this was an Alzheimer patient. But for the most part, it felt as if I was Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz on the Yellow Brick Road with everyone following. It was pretty neat even though we had to tell everyone over and over what our names were and what Junior's name was.

Then we went on over to the main part. The activity director told me that it was the first time she had ever seen one of their guy patients smile! Now if this don't make your day nothing will - knowing this for sure made it worth the time and effort of getting Junior gussied up and ready to go! We went from bed to bed - smile after smile! We did get to see my aunt too - and she even had a smile! It was also another resident's birthday, along with my aunt, and the nursing home director took his picture with Junior to put in the town paper.

Junior done so well - I honestly think he knew what he was supposed to do. As he would get right up next to the wheel chairs and the beds. He would go into the rooms with oxygen makers going and all the tubing. He would lay his head on their laps and beds. I was pretty amazed especially since he is only 5 mos old. The only issue he had at first was when the tone of flooring changed or went from tile to carpet. But he soon realized that this was no big deal and ignored the flooring.

The first response from the activity director when I told her I was bringing him in was "who is going to clean up the poopy?" I told her I would that we had a bag and paper towels with clorox water in a bottle. The first lady I talked to on the phone had no problem with this - she was the main activity director. The one there today just works nn the weekends. So anyway I am proud to report that Junior had no accidents - he had relieved himself in the trailer on the way over. Anyway they told me he was welcome to come back anytime since he was so well mannered and behaved.

So we said our goodbyes with the promise of returning next month! It was a great feeling to know that we had made so many happy. Thanks again for all who responded to my first post on how to prepare him. He really did clean up well especially since we have had quite a bit of rain here lately so things have been pretty muddy. There were a lot of tight spots that we did have to back out of and he handled this well. Needless to say he acted pretty tired when we got home. But it was great to make someone's day! Thanks again all!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a great thing you did
aktion033.gif
That's something I would very much like to do in the future
yes.gif
Makes you feel good all over
wub.gif

I love doing things like that!!! I get as much or more pleasure from seeing their faces as they do!!!

The facility that I work at is animal friendly and they always encourage visits!!

That is SO GREAT.

We've done lots of school visits and I want to start in with nursing home visits too. I'd like to find a super tiny mini specifically for this "job". Another place special to me that I'd like to make regular visits with the minis to is our local childrens shelter too and hadn't gotten around to getting it set up. We've done foster care for 11 or 12 years now and the shelter is so dark and dismal. This is where all CHIPS (children in need of protective services) go and do intake and it is scary and depressing and humiliating for them. Many have been taken from their biological families during a traumatic incident with police involved and they leave with nothing but the clothes on their back. They go to the shelter which basically looks like a big juvenile jail or orphan home. and live and go to school there until they are either placed with a foster family or go to a relative. Ages range from infant to 18 years and I've volunteered there for different events and I think a mini visiting would amaze them and make their day. Most of the kids are inner city and rarely see animals of any sort.

Nickermaker said:
.  The first response from the activity director when I told her I was bringing him in was "who is going to clean up the poopy?" 
My first nursing home we ever visited was wonderful - I was watching Mercy for her characteristic "wiggle" that means "I have to go" and the activities person said, "People have accidents here all the time - a little horse poop is no different." Luckily, Mercy prefers her trailer.
yes.gif

Glad you and Junior had a great visit...we are still hearing about our last visit - the residents keep talking about Mercy... even the ones in the Alzheimer's unit! She made that much of an impression!
wub.gif

Denise

Silversong

P.S. Barnbum - where in the Finger Lakes are you? We are between Canandaigua and Honeoye Lakes! Pretty colors this time of year!

Back