Number of minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most I've had is 12 but that's with foals, they quickly sell and I go down to 10 or so which is where I want to keep the adult numbers at. I'm at the stage now where if I want to keep a foal, a older horse must go. So I'm not keeping this year's foal but I'm hoping next year to rehome an older broodmare to a nice retirement home and keep a pinto filly (should I be lucky enough to get one) out of next year's crop.

I have had as many as 23 but when my husband passed away we changed our direction from breeding to showing. Sold all of the broodmares, only had a stallion to show and had several geldings. We still show but do breed a mare a year with the hopes of a show baby. Right now I own 11, five of them live in homes as companions to either other horses or kids. I still own them but they have wonderful homes where they are taken care of and loved on. If they ever need to leave those homes, they come back to me. So that leaves me with 6 horses. One is a colt I bred and foaled out last year and will be showing this year, one is a 2 year old shetland stallion that I almost lost in 2009 but he is just awesome and will show this year. I have one breeding stallion that is a World and National Champion, 2 mares that are both Res World Champions (one is the dam of my show colt and bred for a foal next year) the other is due to foal anyday. The last mare is one I picked up last year that is just beautiful but with foaling issues, so she isn't here, she is in the care of my wonderful vet friend.

But while I only have four of my own here, I do have several mares in for breeding so I still feel like I have a herd LOL. But they will all go home.

11 was the highest number. Now I have 10 and am expecting 3 foals this year. I have 12 stalls and my husband says that has to be my limit, so 1 or 2 will be sold this year.

I've had seven at one time. Three mares, three foals, and one stallion. Now I'm at four with one on the way so back to five. That's my limit.

I have 6 minis. 1 stud, 2 mares, 1 newly gelded yearlin, 1 waiting for him to drop yearling colt, and 1 2 week old colt. All males getting gelded including my stud so 6 will be it. I also have a welsh pony, a standardbred mare, and a thoroughbred mare. So actually not as many as I might like, but more than I need.
biggrin.gif

The most I ever had at one time was 32. That was on Jan 1st of 2010. I currently have 13. Of the 13, I'd say only about 6 are true forever horses. The rest will go if/when the right home comes along. Until then, 13 is a totally manageable number.
default_smile.png

ETA: I lost the only baby I had coming for 2011 and am only breeding 1 mare for 2012.

Last edited:
20 I believe, but we are down to 16 as I just sold 4 within the past month or two. We've got 3 foals coming in the next month or two as well..

Our largest number was 29, but we're down to 23 now (with our three 2011 foals) + expecting six more foals for this year....Only planning on keeping one or two foals this year though, and already planning on keeping our first 2011 foal of the year, our perlino Buckeroo grandaughter
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 8 here

Prefer six so I have 2 too many. lol

2 studs

4 sr mares

1 jr mare

1 gelding

right now including the foals 22 which is the high and we have I think 3-4 more foals on the way. I would love to sell 1-2 mares and some of the foals we can't show. I have several broodmares and a stallion that are just pets as they are older and I LOVE older horses. So I think that is 4 that are older and just pets
default_wub.png
bought several this year and last year so we for sure have grown but want to keep numbers around 20 or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of you have some high numbers here, WOW! I don't know how you do it but good for you
default_aktion033.gif

I'm lucky enough to not have to have an outside job, I quit in my thirties to be home more for our children, and haven't had to go back.
default_smile.png
So my full time job is the horses. I've always wanted to raise horses, for as far back as I can remember, so I'm living my dream.
default_wub.png

Hubby helps with the heavy work (hauling hay from the hay barn to the horse barn, etc) and pitches in on feeding horses and cleaning stalls once in a while. We're blessed with a wonderful farrier and inexpensive high-quality locally grown hay (some of which we raise ourselves). I'm thinking of hiring some local kids to help with some of the work this year so I have more energy for working horses and training, getting ready for show season.
default_smile.png

Since first getting into miniatures back in 1992, our largest number was back around 10 years ago when we had 42 mares, 4 stallions, and don't remember the count on the young stock. Yet even with those numbers, every horse was seen 3 times a day. It was a full time job on top of my full time job. I can now admit I am sure I was part of the over population problem, however at the time I had the majority of foals sold before weaning. Over the course of the past 10 years, we have downsized every year and now am happy to say that I only have 4 older mares aged 12-19 (having all since they were 2-4 yrs old), 1 stallion and 4 geldings that are all broke to drive or in the process of. I came to the realization that I really love harnessing more than halter breaking.

Donna

Wonderful stories. Love hearing how everybody came to their current number.
default_yes.gif

I have 3.

1 stallion, 1 mare and 1 filly. I'm not too sure about increasing the number. Just enjoying the 3 I have now
default_wub.png
We'll see what life brings.

I'd say it's better not to count some times
default_biggrin.png

It's only been a high of 6 small equine residence here. We are currently at four, with one foal on the way. I think my perfect number is around 10 - 15 but that'll have to wait until I'm not sharing a barn with my mom
default_laugh.png
! I'd like to get another gelding this year, but not sure if my loving mother will change her mind...
default_rolleyes.gif

The most that have ever been here was 52 way to many for one person feeding hauling water to 10 stallions picking up poop and whatnot felt almost like an all day job with no pay and never a break.
default_biggrin.png
Doing that many feet was also a pain you can only do so many at a time without passing out from back pain so seems you just got most of them done and could see the light at the end of the tunnel and it was time to start all over again. Down to 31 and 3 stallions right now and hope to keep it that way..20 would be ideal because l find over the years the head says yes you can do this but the body doesn't agree..l think it's called old age or something
default_biggrin.png

I had a partnership with a breeder and we had between 40-50 minis at a time. That was a long time ago and now I just have my 2 little pasture pals and could not be happier with this number!
default_yes.gif

Liz R.

"We" (although hubby's heart isn't really in it) own 4. I just took the Shetland down to the trainers so we're down to 3 on the property. Hubby says that's enough and heaven knows that cleaning that 1 extra stall over the winter was more work than I thought it would be. However, I really want to breed my mare and stallion for next season as I loved training my mare from the time she was months old.

Maybe he won't notice one more set of feet?

At one point I was up to around 35, and in the summer with visiting mares I had as many as 43 here at times.

But every "bad" winter about does me in, so a few years ago I started to make myself sell a few of my mares, and am now down to 23. This winter has been so awful that I wish it was even less right now. But that changes come summer! I have 4 mares in foal and all foals will be for sale if the right buyers come along.

I am very fortunate also to have this for my full time job. All I really ever wanted to do was raise kids and horses. My kids are grown now and I am living the other part of my dream (in the summer!! haha
default_smile.png
)

15 mares

2 yearling fillies

4 stallions

2 yearling stud colts

Susan O.

Latest posts

Back