Noxious Weeds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyB

overo
Reaction score
How do you handle your weeds? Do you use spray or goats or do you hand pick or all of these things?

I have Leafy Spurge and Black Henbane in our hay field. I have been hand picking it, but over the years I am loosing ground. Our hay is 50% grass and 50% Alfalfa.

I would like to know what these two plants are like after they have been cut and baled? How poisonous are these plants after they dry? I worry if they are not, when the seeds go thru their systems they will send up more plants in the future
default_no.gif

Anyway give your feedback

Thanks,

Jenny

Really can't help but I feel your pain. I've been battling Paterson's Curse for the 8 years I've been here. I spray every year and sometimes twice and chip as well and am getting the upper hand but will never be free of it. It's my long term obsession.

Don't know if dried and baled retains its poisonous properties but do know that any seeds will certainly pass through the horses and spread more weeds.

Do you know how long the seed stays viable in the soil? In my case the seeds of the Paterson's Curse stay in the soil for about 10 years so some of the seeds that fall this year will still be coming up in 10 years so eradication is a long term project.

Some weeds have seeds that only come up the next year. If yours is one of them then a spray will do the job and your problem will be almost over.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jenny,

You might want to contact Larry directly. He's a Master Gardner and knows much more than me. We don't have noxious weeds in our hay field, but we do have a buttercup problem in our smaller paddocks.....They aren't good for the horses (although they ignore them because they get plenty to eat elsewhere), but the buttercup will overtake a pasture if not killed back. This has been a project for Larry for this year..... Ugh.

We move each group out of their pasture to a holding area while Larry goes in and sprays. The only thing that kills buttercup seems to be Weedmaster. Weedmaster claims we can move the horses back in within a few hours, once the poison is dry, but we play it safe and wait til the next day. (Be careful with this product if you are sensitive to chemicals. Wear a face mask and an outer layer of clothing that you can quickly remove and launder. Larry gets a horrible headache every time.)

Larry uses the ATV with a big handheld sprayer which sits off the back for our larger areas......We have a backpack sprayer for smaller paddocks.

Jenny......Don't hesitate to e-mail. He'll be thrilled to hear from you!

Latest posts

Back