Not so good of a year here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
It gets really hard to write this as I think about the losses we have had this last year. First my beloved Jazzy (a yorkie) had a bad choke and taking her to the emergency vet She died three weeks later. I did have some time to let her go. Then one day I go out and our pet goat is dead. After that we got a big dog pup because my brother was moving out and taking his big dog with him. We wanted the dog for protection. We got the sweetest pup. She was lab/rott mix but she looked like a red doberman. She didn't bark much and understood the chickens and yard rabbit were off limits. She was great. She was 5month old and our neighbors gave her a tray of decon. I do know who it was as they had just threatened to poison our cats. So our beautiful Ruby died a horrible death because we didn't find the decon tray until a week or so later. Now fast forward to this weekend. Saturday morning. The guinny pig (again,I can't spell) Chrissy had been sick for a couple of days. A bit of background on Chrissy. I gave her to Jessie for Christmas 2 years ago. I hid her in the shower for a week before Christmas and Jessie had no idea she was getting Chrissy. She was the best little pig you ever saw. Anyway, I called a vet and if you think getting a vet for minis is hard. Try a guinny pig. Jessie and I get in the car and off we go with Chrissy not doing well at all. We get to the vet and as the vet was checking her she found she was brused from her chin to her tail. We have no idea how she would have gotten brused as she wasn't around other animals and no one other than Jessie or me even opened her cage. Well, the vet came in with a treatment plan. $300 of treatment plan and the vet still didn't know what was wrong with her. I looked at Jessie and I told her it was her choice to either put her down or try the treatment. I told her the money was not a problem. She chose the treatment. So the vet is giving pain meds, antibiotics, something to give her more energy. I don't know. I just had this really big bag of meds and a little pig. We were going out to the car and Jessie was having a problem holding Chrissy flat. By that time we were in the car.I reached across to help Jessie get Chrissy flat and she (Chrissy) had passed. It was so hard on Jessie (all 12 years of her). We went back in to the vets office and told them she had just passed. They were great and pre-paired Chrissy to come home. We made a spot for her in the yard as we did for Jazzy, Baby Goat and Ruby. I hope we can end this year with out any more loss.

Oh, on the up side, we have a wonderful Great Pyrenees/Bernese MT. dog mix that is 4 months old and is about 4-5" taller than the seat of the sofa.She takes a lot of love.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really sorry for all the heart ache! Loosing pets hurts so much it's hard to stand it.

Did you call the police or do something about the neighbors poisoning Ruby? I'm worried for your new puppy, that they may do the same thing again.

We talk very freely and openly and loud enough for them to hear when we and they are out side. I have also told the neighbors on the other side of them. I know they talk and I have told them I will not put up with another poisoning or theft of any of my animals. It hasn't changed the fact that the neighbor is a b***h. She had just better watch out because I can be a bigger one than she is.

Hi! I am so sorry that you are having such a bad year.
default_no.gif
I had one of those years last year. I lost my 1st horse that I had for over 25 years, then I lost my first cat, and it ended with losing my first dog. I was just about heart broken. So, I kind of know how you feel. Who knows, I may have even been in a depression over all the losses. I have no great words of wisdom but I hope and pray things turn around for you.

Your neighbors sound like..........
default_shutup.gif
:shutup Honestly, what is wrong with people. My next door neighbor actually watched my dog drowning and instead of pulling the dog out of her pool (he was sinking on the pool cover), she drove to my house and left a note for me to come get my dog. If I had owned a gun that day may have turned out much worse.

If you ever want to commiserate, feel free to PM, email or call me. All my information is on my website.
default_smile.png

First off I am SO Sorry to hear about what has happened. Shoot the neighbor who poisoned your dog. Good greif!!!!!!!!!! Im suppressing the rage right now over that.

GUINEA PIGS

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN! Ive owned them for years and done a little breeding. Long hairs. Had to stop breeding for a while because I adopted so many needing a good home. Pigs are considered "exotics". They are horrid to get vets for. I generally end up being sent to the most expensive vet in town, spending tons of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and they all do the same things. Fluids, vitamin C injections, antibiotics, tell you to give a slurry of pineapple juice and pellets (with a syringe) .... and the pigs generally die anyway. Ive only had one get better. The thing that stinks is that they are prey animals and they will hide sickness as long as they can to avoid being "picked off". Unfortunately we usually notice it when they can no longer hide it and at that point we are in serious trouble!
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
:No-Sad Its DEVASTATING They are very susceptible to respiratory problems too. Vitamin C is REALLY important. Its generally put in their feed but what many people dont know is that it has a shelf life of 90 days I believe and the drops put in their water go bad faster. I try to give Spinach and Parcely a lot.

Whew I rambled.... I am So sorry to hear about your pets! Thats terrible to hear and I am very sad for you. I hope things go better.

First off I am SO Sorry to hear about what has happened. Shoot the neighbor who poisoned your dog. Good greif!!!!!!!!!! Im suppressing the rage right now over that.
GUINEA PIGS

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN! Ive owned them for years and done a little breeding. Long hairs. Had to stop breeding for a while because I adopted so many needing a good home. Pigs are considered "exotics". They are horrid to get vets for. I generally end up being sent to the most expensive vet in town, spending tons of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and they all do the same things. Fluids, vitamin C injections, antibiotics, tell you to give a slurry of pineapple juice and pellets (with a syringe) .... and the pigs generally die anyway. Ive only had one get better. The thing that stinks is that they are prey animals and they will hide sickness as long as they can to avoid being "picked off". Unfortunately we usually notice it when they can no longer hide it and at that point we are in serious trouble!
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
:No-Sad Its DEVASTATING They are very susceptible to respiratory problems too. Vitamin C is REALLY important. Its generally put in their feed but what many people dont know is that it has a shelf life of 90 days I believe and the drops put in their water go bad faster. I try to give Spinach and Parcely a lot.

Whew I rambled.... I am So sorry to hear about your pets! Thats terrible to hear and I am very sad for you. I hope things go better.
The worst thing was the loss that Jessie has felt from all of this. She had picked out the dog. She kept saying she wanted a guinea pig. So I surprised her 2 Christmases ago. And for Chrissy to die in her arms just broke my hart. She keeps fighting with her grandma because her grandma wants to use Chrissy's cage for a rabbit she (grandma) wants to bring in for the winter. She (Jessie) just wants the cage to sit for now. So now I am running interfearance between Grandma and Jessie. I hope things settle down now that grandma is going back to work.

She is grieving. I say let the cage sit. Guinea pigs are special little animals. Its amazing how much it hurts when they pass.
default_sad.png

I am very sorry that you and Jessie have had to endure these terrible loses. I can totally relate to the pain that goes along with the lose of your furfriends.

I would not let my dogs out unattended except in my own fenced yard. Did they put the poison in your yard? Or did your dog go in there yard and get into it? If they came onto your property I would call the police. I think my neighbor had poison in his garage and left the door open. My manx kitty went in there and the next thing he was dead.

I will keep you, Jessie and all of your pets in my prayers to keep you safe, healthy and to lift your spirits.

I am very sorry that you and Jessie have had to endure these terrible loses. I can totally relate to the pain that goes along with the lose of your furfriends.
I would not let my dogs out unattended except in my own fenced yard. Did they put the poison in your yard? Or did your dog go in there yard and get into it? If they came onto your property I would call the police. I think my neighbor had poison in his garage and left the door open. My manx kitty went in there and the next thing he was dead.

I will keep you, Jessie and all of your pets in my prayers to keep you safe, healthy and to lift your spirits.
I do not believe in allowing a dog out of my yard off leash. They put the poison in my yard and when my 2lb 12 year old yorkie came up missing, they had taken her from my back yard. They took her to the pound. The goat too was in my yard in my fence. I said real loud that Nothing had better happen to any of my horses or there will be H**L to pay. We share a fence.

Katiean, I'd be documenting every single thing that has happened with your animals in relation to your neighbors.

I would be down filing charges and making sure everyone at animal control, the humane society, the police dept. knew what has been going on. No, you don't have absolute proof, but giving everyone the HEADS UP about things will keep the authorities on the alert.

I would also run electric fencing between you and you neighbors. And if there is gate between you? Lock it.

Your new Great Pyr/Bernese mix pup sounds WONDERFUL. What an awesome combo of breeds! I WOULD LOVE TO SEE PICTURES! And keep us posted on how she is working out for you.......
default_smile.png

Ma---

You need to file a complaint with the police. That is destruction of property and cruelty to animals causing death. You need to get professional advice. They will continue to do these things if you don't bring in the police and let them know you are not going to sit back and do nothing.

I had a neighbor that baited my cats onto his property with meat. He trapped them and took them and dumped them. I never saw them again. One was my 8 year old spayed house cat that was my daughters pet. She was heart broken. It has been years but I still take a second look at cats I see that look like the ones he took from us. I confronted him. Told him I knew what he was doing and told him he took my daughters kitty. He never did it again but we lost 3 of our house cats all in one week to this. I will pray you get help and resolution. It is terrible to have to live and worry about your pets being harmed. (((Hugs)))

Back