Next time your trasnporter is late. . .

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying minis

Reaction score
So my hubby is a horse transporter - has been for 7 years. He's had problems occassionally with equipment breakdowns, etc., but not bad. He does a great job, and usually runs pretty well on time. He has 3 trucks to use, so he always has backups - a Dodge 1 ton, a Ford 1 ton, and a new small semi tractor. Keeps his equipment in great shape, so he doesn't have breakdowns - because breakdowns are a nightmare (especially if he has horses on, not just having to get the truck / trailer fixed, but finding place to board the horses, caring for them - and if he has to board them due to breakdown, we pay the board bill - not the customer, which gets pretty expensive if you have a full load of 6-7 horses on and you sit for 2-3 days!).

So, he was to leave Friday am, going to eastern IA, wisconsin, Ohio, then down to Florida. Thursday night and Friday there was a blizzard across Eastern Iowa. So he called everyone, waited to leave until this morning (Saturday) at 10 am. Takes his 1 ton Dodge because it's just been totally redone in the shop (engine and transmission) and ran perfectly the last trip, and the new semi doesn't have chains for yet and isn't great in the snow without them. Gets 120 miles from home, turbo goes out in the Dodge. Drops the trailer, limps it home. Thinks about taking the Ford, but that would leave me here for nearly a month with all the horses and no truck in case of emergency, so decides on the semi. Plug the semi in let it sit 3 hours, meanwhile, go into town (20 miles away) and get chains for it. Come home, try to start it - nope. Put on the battery charger, let it charge 2 hours (take a nap this time, since obviously he's now going to be driving overnight), try the semi - it starts! Woo Hoo! Tries to move the semi - stuck in the snow (not a 4 wheel drive). No problem, start the tractor to pull the semi out - tractor is cold, plug it in for 2 hours, ok, now the tractor starts. But guess what? Due to our recent ice/sleet storm, the barn door is frozen shut, can't get the tractor out.

Ok, start taking buckets of hot water out to thaw the door , after about 15 gallons (the door is 20 feet long) - manage to slide the door open and finally get the tractor out. Hook up the chains and pull out the semi! Put the tractor away, make sure everything is moved from the Dodge to the semi, and finally, 2:45 am, he's back on the road! Lots of stress, thinking about all the horses on this trip that are now going to be late - all the clients had to be called, etc., etc.

Next time your transporter is late, think about this - even with the best equipment sometimes things happen - and sometimes, lots of things happen at once! On a brighter note, doing this all in 10 degree weather with a 0 wind chill has definitely convinced us to proceed on moving for the winter : )

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no! That sounds like a miserable night! One of those times where if something can go wrong - it will. I hope the rest of his trip is uneventful.

Barbara

That's a bad day, for sure. Hopefully after a start like that the trip itself will be uneventful.

I can NOT imagine the stress of being a professional transporter! Everything you just mentioned is the reason why, then add animals to care for and anxious people to please...np way! Sorry hubby's trip started off so rough. Maybe it means the rest will be a breeze.

I wish I could afford a transporter, I drive a 1999 chevy silverado 2500 and pull a 32' trailer with living quarters. When ever I haul I take the truck into be inspected and have everything checked, but that is no quarentee. Once after having the truck in for a checkup I was driving into town and the brake lines rusted out, obviously they forgot to check that. I use to have a auto club, but have since cut up all my credit cards and now no longer have this service. We are planning some long trips this year as our first show is 6 hours away, and Nationals is a 26 hour trip. Who do you call when you break down? I am planning on having some one else drive a car with us, to be on the safe side and always carry water, but as a trasporter I'm sure you know who to call when you are transporting horses. any help would be appreciated.

Flying Minis,

Trust me, I know how you are feeling. I'm the wife of a FORMER transporter. Technically, my husband was probably the very first horse hauler who specialized in miniature horses (and donkeys). He drove for well over 12 years. Your description had me nodding and smiling. People just don't realize. The worse part is when you have horses on board and there's a breakdown.......The stress of making sure they are okay, plus trying to keep the owner(s) informed.

There are a lot of details that people who only take one or two trips a year don't think about. Larry designed a long start up list of items and things to check before each trip. He also developed a contact list of vets, fairgrounds, and farms he could call on in almost every state -- in case of an emergency.

One of the most amazing things Larry has been able to do is remember mile post numbers/exit numbers for places in each state -- truck stops that provide easily accessible water for the horses, or fairgrounds that have stalls available to rent for the night, etc.....

Frankly, he could write a BOOK.....not sure why he hasn't!
default_biggrin.png

So yes, if you need to vent or need a shoulder -- give us a shout.

It's quite the life, isn't it : )

Paul does the same with remembering EVERYTHING. It's really nice when I travel -he can tell me how to get where I need to go, restaurants, hotels, fairgrounds, everything. He has a list too - just like your husband's - routine clients and places he can stable horses, etc. He loves the work, but hates breakdowns - they are so stressful. I went with him once on a trip - and decided I could never do that job!

But he loves what he does, even when it's stressful. Now thinking he'll trade in the small semi for a 4 wheel drive one - that'll be the 5th truck in 8 years (including the one lemon he had) - I'm sure you know how that goes, putting on so many miles each truck just doesn't last that long. I'm sure you've gotten the "breakdown" phone calls - I hate those! A couple of times I ended up taking him another truck, then either flying home, or coming home with him (if he happened to be close or coming by home).

But the upside is the number of wonderful horse people he's met all over the country, as I'm sure your husband did too!

Thanks for the offer of a shoulder - may take you up on that! : )

Latest posts

Back