newly gelded colt bleeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candice

Reaction score
And what lies ahead for us??

We had all of our colts gelded last Thursday and Ice didn't clot like he should have and bled out more than he should have. It took several hours to get his bleeding stopped. The vet came back out and put him on SMZ's and banamine was started the next day once we were certain he was clotted well.

Today he started bleeding out again. It was by the grace of God that I went out to check on him when I did. It took over an hour or so to get his bleeding under control, but the problem is that he is still slowly dripping. Our vet cannot get here until tomorrow. I'm scared to put him in the trailer and haul him anywhere for fear that he will bleed out more. I'm trying to keep him as calm and quiet and still as possible. He's used to having his buddy in his stall with him, but I think his buddy is the reason he's bleeding (I think he licked the scab off) so I have him stalled by himself at the moment.

Doc says I'm doing all I can do at the moment and I feel so helpless. If I put pressure up there he'll bleed more. If I stay with him he gets restless so I'm checking on him every hour.

What lies ahead? What treatment options are there? Even if he clots fully, I won't trust it. Prayers please, he is so loved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Candice,

It's obvious you're stressed so try to take a deep breath and calm your nerves. I have no doubt what's going on is scary and you're doing the right thing by checking on him, keeping him calm and staying in contact with your vet. I'm no expert, but I don't think it's that unusual to have one that is taking longer to heal over. I do think that some can start to bleed again even after not bleeding for a couple of days. You're doing everything right and being a great mommy.
default_smile.png
Watch him tonight and touch base with your vet again in the morning.

Sending you positive thoughts and encouragement!

Candice, hang in there! My little Timmy did the same thing. He drained forever. I made sure he was turned out all alone so there would be no ruff housing, but that little dude is such a tail flagging thing and he was over active and cutting up so bad out there playing anyhow. I thought for sure his innards were going to fall out of him I swear I was a wreck. He had clotted, but then he un-clotted himself after a couple days acting goofy in the field. I have never seen a horse do that and it was winter and he should have clotted right away and it should have stayed. I was like oh brother I hope this isn't a sign that his meatballs are going to grow back too. lol. Sure enough, a few days later it quit and all was good. Try to remain calm as you can, have you a nice cup of hot tea, and keep him separated for sure. I'm hoping this too shall pass for your boy soon.

I agree with the other posters and just remain calm. Sometimes they do drain a lot and it can be bloody and nasty looking.

The only suggestion I can give you is to ask your vet about using a hand full of ground Cayene pepper and pack it into the wound. That is what our vet uses and it works very well, keeps flies away and dulls the nerve endings. It is something that the old timers used and our vet says there is nothing that works any better.
default_new_shocked.gif

Good luck,

Thankyou for your encouraging words. I have already talked with Doc this morning and he will be out later after a few other calls. Ice is still trickling blood this morning. Yesterday it was literally a waterfall. Oddly he is not nearly as swollen as I expected to see this morning.

Thankyou again, I have been so frightened he would bleed to death while no one was watching.

Awww, what a pretty baby. I can't offer you any help/advice, but sending good vibes your way.

I've not had experience with this scenario, but I know our vet says that a steady drip of blood is nothing to worry about. I should think, even given your little one's condition, that a slow drip would not be too concerning. However, I know how scary it is worrying about them, and it never hurts to be cautious, I would be too! Let us know how he does, you are doing a great job!

Our vet says, when referring to bleeding, "a little bit looks like a lot".

I would be worried if it was "spurting" but a dripping of blood would not be a concern I don't think.

You would have to see it to understand I guess.

When we did lambs tails we use the "burdizzo" as they do for gelding, castrating pigs, etc. and it merely pinches tight to allow the cut.

We then doused the stub with iodine and released the burdizzo and the tail stub would drip blood for some time, which was actually a good thing.

Good luck with your little guy Candice...I know exactly how worried you mut be feeling! To see something like this happen on such a "routine" proceedure that you have (probably) been through so many times before without incident can be very scary!

After many, many years of spays, neuters and c-sections (through my years of raising, showing and owning dogs) without ever any problem, I recently had my Boxer girl spayed and experienced much the same thing you are with your boy. It bled and bled and even my vet was shakey in his voice when trying to explain to me what was happening! I was scared to death she would die...either of bleeding out or of internal bleeding. She had a steady trickle (not drips!) of blood running from it, and the vet even put more stitches in with her awake (twice!) while I was standing right there. Cauter sticks too, and finally got it to stop, but sent supplies home with me just in case. Good thing, because "just in case" came as soon as I got her home and she bled more. I had to get up several times throughout the night to check her gums to make sure she was not losing too much blood!
default_new_shocked.gif
I was definately NOT prepared for something like this on such a routine surgery that I have never worried about before! I guess I was luckier than you, as the pressure on hers stopped it. I had to lay a roll of gauze along the incision and wrap it snugly with vet wrap around her abdomen and between her back legs and up over the hips. Leaving that on with the steady preasure from it finally allowed her to stop the bleeding, but sadly, you said in your boy's case that only starts it again.

I sure hope you are able to get it stopped so you can relax a little easier.
default_luck.gif

Mona, so sorry about your girl. You know how I adore her. he is slowing down on the bleeding. Doc is still trying to get here and is checking in every couple of hours. He is an awesome Vet and I am so thankful to have found him. I trust his judgement.

I'll update as I can.

"shivers"

I have never been one to turn away from blood or any kind of injury on either human or animal but to see my mini stud's little sack bleeding like that omg.

Now I am even wondering if it needs to be done. He is TO mellow now. I have no plans on breeding him what so ever, he is just my heart and the thought of him being like that tears me apart. I know its normal for post-op bleeding but Im afraid I will cry like a baby! waaaaaaaaaaaaa

I hope he is better!

Now I am even wondering if it needs to be done. He is TO mellow now. I have no plans on breeding him what so ever, he is just my heart and the thought of him being like that tears me apart. I know its normal for post-op bleeding but Im afraid I will cry like a baby! waaaaaaaaaaaaaI hope he is better!
Please do not let a few isolated incidents deter you from doing what you know is best for your boy. There are always risks to some extent whenever any surgery, no matter how minor, is performed...same holds true with people. The good experiences far outweigh the bad experiences.
default_yes.gif

I have to back Mona up 100%. Please don't not geld your horse because of this incident. Complications of this nature are very rare. I was only seeking advice. My post was not intended to frighten anyone. This incident will not deter me from castrating colts in the future. Please don't let it deter you. I had 3 colts castrated at one time and the other two are doing great and their normal happy selves. Ice himself isn't unhappy. He's taking it all in stride. He's enjoying his private pile of hay.

An update. Doc was out and decided not to do anything further. He did give him Vitamin K injections to help with clotting and Ice is on Stall rest. He is still dripping a bit, but his swelling is minimal and his spirits are good and he has a very healthy appetite. He is bored. I do need to find something to entertain him that will also keep him still and quiet. Any ideas??

He is bored. I do need to find something to entertain him that will also keep him still and quiet. Any ideas??
Do you have any regular horse toys? Jolly Ball? Stall apple, etc? I'd start there if you have them, if you don't, then many horses will entertain themselves with almost anything. I've used a well-rinsed laundry detergent jug, a gallon milk jug with a few small rocks in it for noise, or if you want a few alfalfa pellets, so when shaken out he can safely eat them. Mine seem to think that their feed pans are great toys and toss them around, paw on them, stand on them, etc.
default_wacko.png
This summer they got a hold of the plastic lid to a supplement tub (a big tub, so like 18" dia) and played with that for several days (they'd probably still play with it, if it hadn't been run over by the tractor).

Hi Candice,

So glad to hear your pretty boy (and he is very pretty
default_wub.png
) is doing better. It sounds like things are getting back pretty close to normal and I'm so glad. You are a good horsey mommy to worry so much about him!
default_smile.png
He is lucky.

I second the idea of a plastic bottle or jug - even a plastic bottled water container works great. Put some grain or alfalfa pellets in it, leave the cap off and let him nose that around the stall. They love it. You can also use peppermint candies, chunks of granola bars or any horse treat that will fit into the opening. A small amount will go a long way and give him hours of play!

Keep us posted.

I just had my new 2 yr old gelded. He is not halter broke, so he is a bit WILD. But I have been working on him and he is coming around. Anyway, we had him gelded lastweek Thursday 11am,and when we were finished, he all of a sudden, started thrashing in the stall trying to get up, he smashed the vet into the stall divider and me into the front of the stall. but he busted open the crimp, he didnt do too bad the next hour, he was dripping, but that was expected. But in about 2 hours he started bleeding, so we watched quietly. then around 8pm, when I was watching, he would be quietly eating and then , GOOSH, about 60-90 CC's of blood would come blowing out, there was a lot of blood. so the vet came back out at 11pm and we had to put him to sleep again. this time we flipped him over and the vet had to put blood stop in him and packed him good with packing and sewed him up. he still dripped all weekend with the packing and swelled up really bad, but on Monday morning, the vet came out, down he went again and she removed the stitches and packing and flushed him out really good. well, it is wednesday now and he is still dripping really good, draining is good, bleeding a little is ok too, but 60+CC's coming out at a time is not. A shot of Vitamin K from the vet can help with clotting, but when they give them a very little bit of Ace in the banamine during the surgery, this thins the blood. but I am one week out from the gelding procedure and we are still watching him. email me if you need to, running cold water under him is good too. but mine is too wild to do that.

Latest posts

Back