Newest Rescue Mini "Dove"! I need help!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lexischase

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I rescued a mini mare about a week and a half ago and she has been with me one week today. Last night the snotty nose started and it was the first day with a fever that was 104. After banamine it was gone by midnight and still gone this morning. She was also started on antibiotics last night.

Dove has been practically throwing herself at the walls/fencing she is so itchy and has REALLY dry and flaky skin. Last night with the help of 3 others we found little tiny bugs, that you would never have seen without the magnifying slide we had. When I got home on the computer and searched I realized they were equine lice, how fun??

It says to bathe her along with dusting etc. It is WAY to cold here for a full bathe, she would shiver for hours. I can get the dust and dust her whole body, but want something thats non toxic. I know theres a lot you can do thats all natural. Any suggestions???

I also read that the only way to really help her skin/terrible coat would be to full body clip. I really do NOT want to do that but would if it would help her and make her feel better. Of course I would fully blanket if clipping is what has to happen. She has obviously not been taken care of for some time, although someone did take the time to clip her head/face, neck and half of her legs.

My last 3 rescues never ended up with the snotty nose and fever, so I was hoping Dove wouldn't either... Stupid me!

I am looking for suggestions on her skin condition as well as the lice problem. My vet has been contacted and comes out today, but still want help from all you mini people
default_yes.gif

DSC_0766.JPG

DSC_0773.JPG

DSC_0776.jpg

DSC_0777.JPG

DSC_0787.JPG

DSC_0798.JPG

It sounds like she has lice. 2 things I would do is get some Equi-Spot fly control repellent. It doesn't say it treats lice but it does work. You need to treat them twice after 2 weeks of the first treatment. Another thing I would do is get some ivermectin dewormer. Another things I would do is just keep grooming her but don't use the same tools you would use with your other horses. Her dry flaky skin will clear up once the lice goes away and with some good grooming, no need for a bath.

So sorry about this, but may want to check your donkey too for lice as well since there togather. Hope she feels better soon. Hope vet can help with quick relief!

She looks sooooo sweet!

For lice, get some Sevin dust and rub it in. Works great. You can get it at garden centers and farm stores.

I would deworm her if you haven't yet, and try medicated shampoo. Good luck and congrats on the new addition! =)

I am going to deworm her today with ivermectin. The little donkey is no longer with her, will have to phone the owner. These are the biting equine lice, would any of you use farnams lice dust? Its to cold to give her a bath, she would freeze!

Any suggestions on an oil or good supplement for her nasty dry skin and terrible coat?

Thank you for the compliments! She is a lovely little girl, still waiting on her papers to come in the mail to see if they belong with her.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the mare you got thru AC4H correct, auction direct (or feedlot direct) you need to have her checked out, shipping fever and or strangles are real possibilities here, treating too soon with antibiotics could cause problems in the case of strangles....the lice are likely the reason for her skin problems, some flysprays are labeled for lice as well and you want to get on top of them fast or they may move into your barn and take up permanent residence.

Yes, you can spray on the stuff they are telling you to wash her in, a lot of the time, have a good look on the bottle. The powders do work too but wear a mask when putting them on, and gloves, just as a precaution, and make sure any pregnant friends are well out of the way- just precautions but sensible ones. She will need worming but do NOT rely on the Ivermectin to kill the lice, please!

This, I am afraid, is one of the prices you pay for buying from these people, she will have been in a pen with goodness knows what and exposed to goodness knows what. I am afraid it is not something I would do, I do not respond well to blackmail. But, you have her, so let's get her sorted out.....try the dust- a line down the back, dust her legs well, a circle round the neck around the jowl, and again round the rump - specifically the anus- the lice drink at the anus and the eye, so they have to go through the powder to get to them, and they change sides once every 24 hours so they go, again, through the dust on the spine to do so. That way you do not need to cover the whole horse in the stuff!!

I do hope she is still in quarenteen away from your other stock, if not you may have more problems then just the lice. I would recommend that you get some lysol spray and after cleaning her stall or careing for her, that you spray yourself and the bottom of your shoes before careing for the rest of your stock. Also take care of her last, so as not to spread anymore germs. Also as Stormy said, do not give any more atibiotics if is this is strangles you will cause it to go to the gut. Watch for any swellings under the jaw, if you see any, call your vet. If horse has problem breathing it is a red alert, don't mean to alarm you, just a heads up, as I learned the hard way about bringing this awful strangles home to my babies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestions! She has been in quarantine for a week and will remain in qt for at least another 2. She is only visited after all my other animals are taken care of, they are at completely different farms.

There really is no getting around using a chemical to get rid of lice. I've used ProZap insectrin Dust, I've used it even on and around pregnant mares (prefer not to, but sometimes you just have to - its safe for Dairy Cows). You might be able to get it at like TSC, but I order mine on line. Used to get it at American Livestock, but they shut down last January. Did find it here: http://www.horsehealthusa.com/details/Prozap-Insectrin-Dust/89-10.html I sprinkle it in their mane, down their back into their tail, and on their hocks (I have disposible gloves in the barn, so wear them when using hte dust, then I can just use my gloved hands to rub it in a bit).

To help her dry skin, try adding OmegaFields Horsehine to her diet, its a flax based supplement. Good stuff, and most horses readily eat it, and its not messy like oil can be. Many places sell it, but I like to share the link to SmartPak, as they have the most information about products: http://www.smartpakequine.com/omega-horseshine-182p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

It is a chemical but works great in cold weather on very hairy horses.-Stuff for dogs for fleas&ticks that has Premetherin(sp?)in it,.You get size for large dogs start with 1 tube from poll; down neck along mane base to tail and another tube from tail base along spine up to end of mane.! treatment has worked for me in the past.I keep it on hand in the barn since we have lots of lice from birds I agree at least 3 weeks quarantine or longer

Latest posts

Back